Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » About the Chekov... (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: About the Chekov...
iam2xtreme
Member # 836

- posted      Profile for iam2xtreme         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The359:

-

If you look closely you can see that the pylons do actually join on to the "rim". Theres no way they join as high as the Red Admiral put them in his otherwise spot on rendering.

--------------------
"Marge, trying is the first step towards failure!!" Homer

The Red Admiral
Admiral on Deck....
Member # 602

- posted      Profile for The Red Admiral     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes you're right, I can see that they should be a little lower down, but that amendment I made to the original mesh was only a very quick job, I was just experimenting whilst discussing the matter with the359. There's no problem, I'll make a more accurate job of it as and when I can...

--------------------
"To the Enterprise and the Stargazer. Old girlfriends we'll never meet again." - Scotty

Trekmania -My Comprehensive Trek Resource

The ASDB

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There's another thing. I'm not so sure those are separate pylons. I think it's just one bigass one with a dark strip running down the middle.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, I think it's two pylons. If the center were merely a stripe, I'd expect it to be a slightly darker color then the shadows on the pod.

--------------------
"Lotta people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting."

-Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney, LeMans

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, the question is, what are the pylons made out of? To me, it looks like there are two (not one w/ a stripe), and they sort of resemble the Miranda rollbar (each one would be one half of the rollbar; the horizontal part of the rollbar is the vertical part of the pylon).

Is there a Miranda model kit that would have rollbar pieces that would fit?

The Red Admiral
Admiral on Deck....
Member # 602

- posted      Profile for The Red Admiral     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmm, can't tell if they're the rollbar or not... could well be though

Anyway, here's an updated Chekov picture, with altered pylons, and the pod itself, whose shape I've refined to match the photo a little better.

-

It's getting there, this isn't the final Springfield yet...

Couple of other beauty shot type views...
http://www.trekmania.net/art/springfield08.jpg

http://www.trekmania.net/art/springfield07.jpg

--------------------
"To the Enterprise and the Stargazer. Old girlfriends we'll never meet again." - Scotty

The ASDB

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For what it's worth, the Reliant AMT model kit is exactly the same scale as the Enterprise-A model kit.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Woodside Kid
Member # 699

- posted      Profile for Woodside Kid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Im not sure....since it seems the lower hull was modified from a Galaxy hull, could those pylons be modified Galaxy pylons? From some of the angles in the picture, it seems if you trimmed and shaped them correctly, they might just work.

Of course, that would mean the attachment point on the saucer would have to be closer to the centerline.

--------------------
The difference between genius and idiocy? Genius has its limits.

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If I didn't know better I'd say that that pylon was an upside down Oberth pylon with a dark stripe.

Were there any AMT Oberth kits around at the time?
Or could the builder have used a cast of the filming miniature?

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There have never been any AMT Oberth kits. I would have one if there were, and I don't.

--------------------
"The best defense is not a good offense. The best defense is a terrifyingly accurate and devastatingly powerful offense, with multiply-overlapping kill zones and time-on-target artillery strikes." -- Laurence, Archangel of the Sword

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by First of Two:
There have never been any AMT Oberth kits. I would have one if there were, and I don't.

What's this then? Just some fan kit or something?

BTW, they definitely look like separate pylons to me.

-MMoM [Big Grin]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's SFSM's vacuform Oberth. I own one. I'll never put it together because vacuform kits are a fucking son of a bitch pain in the fucking ASS.

As a physical modeler, I'll say this: your configuration would be disastrous, RA. Those pylons need to extend outwards from the ventral pod more & then gently slope up. Plus the connection points would have to have a wider stance, meaning that on the bow elevation, they should connect farther outboard than where you have them. Right now, it looks like the nacelles are rising up from those pylons, & it gives the whole ship that squnched look. I'm willing to bet that if that photo was dead side-on, we'd see a goodly amount of gap space between hulls.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Rogue Starship
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You know...In my very un-expert opinion I think the deflector dish is a little to wide...or is that how it is in relation to the rest of the ship, as compared to a Galaxy???

Before I thought this ship was butt-ugly...but with all these new renderings I think it is pretty cool looking.

RS

IP: Logged
The Red Admiral
Admiral on Deck....
Member # 602

There's no way to tell what the pod really is, or looks like in any detail. So the model merely reflects artistic license and speculation.

--------------------

The ASDB

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps