Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Chakotay's Raider (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Chakotay's Raider
Matrix
AMEAN McAvoy
Member # 376

- posted      Profile for Matrix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They got a small bridge/cockpit on a rather large ship. That makes no sense. I would expect that size cockpit at least in the TNG version.

--------------------
Matrix
If you say so
If you want so
Then do so

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Could be that a civilian ship design doesn't require much in the way of bridge operations. That's assuming that the big ugly torpedo launchers and wingtip cannon were added by the Maquis on an otherwise unarmed or modestly armed design.

Clearly, the new bridge was designed to correspond to the existing Runabout set, just like the earlier cockpit of the ship (in "Preemptive Strike") had matched the windows of the TNG Alien Shuttle set. This time, the windows were a bit more square than those of the set, but the positioning was the same - and one can always say that the windows were like big funnels, with large square outer panels but smaller inner ones. Such a window design would help the pilot see down during landing (and surely this ship was supposed to be landing-capable).

Timo Saloniemi

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Of course, while I doubt there was much in the way of formal chain-of-command structure on a typical Maquis vessel, Chakotay was a former Starfleet commander, and probably ran a bit tighter ship than average.
MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I suppose it depends on whether this design was civilian or Starfleet. It doesn't really correspond with the usual Starfleet designs, but you also should consider that for such a small configuration, the saucer-hull-nacelles arrangement would be a really big waste of space.

Now that I think about it, the raider has some things in common with the Defiant -- the nose, nacelles mounted alongside the main body, and pulse phasers on the wingtips (or nacelles on the Defiant).

Some fan speculation have suggested that this raider design was a short-range patrol/defense ship that was introduced for border service during the Cardassian Wars. Given the wings, it might actually be built for some kind of atmospheric operations, too. Like landing troops if the Cardassians have set up transporter inhibitors.

If that's the case, even if it were a 60-meter ship, it'd still be designed to be operated by a relatively small crew -- which would explain the small cockpit. Also remember that even the Galaxy Class had a relatively small bridge -- only four major stations (helm, ops, engineering, and tactical), with the rest being science-based or for commanders. And on the raider, there was no need for command stations because Chakotay was flying.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I guess I don't really believe that this would be a purely civilian design. Both the versions we saw had very well-integrated torpedo launchers, and those presumably ate extensively into the internal volume of the ships. Nothing "modular" or "welded-on" about the look of the launchers. The wingtip cannon could have been Maquis add-ons, though.

It certainly shouldn't have taken 30-40 people to run the ship. So clearly the Maquis were using it as some sort of a personnel transport in "Caretaker". Perhaps they were evacuating a cell; perhaps they were fleeing after performing a surface raid of some sort. Since they were in a desperate situation when we first saw them, we can't just go and claim that "carrying 30-40 people" was a natural activity for the ship, or something it was built for.

But if the ship was merely built to move the big torp launchers to battle at warp speed, then it probably wouldn't have much extra interior space. So the original design must have allowed for some cargo/passenger space. And a combination of such heavy armament plus large holds suggests it's indeed an "assault transport" of some sort, a futuristic M-113 or M-2/3. The weapons fit is too heavy for mere self-protection, even without the wingtip cannon.

Timo Saloniemi

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If anyone can remember, yes indeed it seemed to be a redress of the runabout cockpit. in the space between the seats was a central 'column' with LCARS displays on it. (anyone notice that these displays are ENT-B/ENT-C era?

The Port station was Tuvok, the Forward Port chair was Chakotay and the Forward Starboard chair was B'Elanna. (See the pic for the latter two).

There were extras who entered the area was there not? Was there walking-space on either side of the central column or did you have to walk past B'Elanna to move to aft areas?

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Matrix
AMEAN McAvoy
Member # 376

- posted      Profile for Matrix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What I am saying is not the if the bridge/cockpit is too small, but for a ship with that size 'nose' should have a cockpit sized... cockpit.

--------------------
Matrix
If you say so
If you want so
Then do so

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps