Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Starships and Black Holes (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Starships and Black Holes
Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He originally said eighty two AUs, they merely slienced the eighty part.

quote:
It doesn't matter if you have warp, transwarp, quantum slipstream, or infinite improbability drive; you won't have any time to say "Engage."
I don't know, I think having a black hole spontaneously turning into a pair of Belgian folk singers wearing cereal packets and dancing to the tune of a Vogon funeral dirge is a finite possibility [Wink]

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

The Red Admiral
Admiral on Deck....
Member # 602

- posted      Profile for The Red Admiral     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To counter MMs comments, I'll extract the text from the old theory I initially constructed:

quote:
"that the machine civilization 'V'Ger' encountered may have in fact been the Borg, who, finding this kindred machine and discovering its mission to absorb and assimilate information in order to progress and perfect understanding greatly enhanced its technology, giving it the ability to physically adapt and reconfigure itself. They constructed a new vehicle to convey the central probe unit, whilst endowing it with incredibly advanced scientific and technical knowledge. During its voyage over the course of several centuries, it became so huge, accumulated so much information and technology, it became a sentient emergent lifeform."
Yes, the Borg's goal is assimilation, but they seemed to have altered their goals before, between episodes 'Q Who?' and 'TBoBW', (they were only interested in technology in 'Q Who?', not assimilation), and again in First Contact - their conquest then greatly involved acquiring Data for the collective, when before he'd been called 'obsolete' in the Borg's long term objectives.

- Spock's observations of a society of living machines was merely a visual and perceptual interpretation at the time, and can't be taken as 100% correct.

- V'Ger also evolved to be as powerful as it was, yes, extending far beyond that of the Borg, because it may have been on that journey for centuries gathering data and an evolving consciousness, maybe even millennia, particularly if the wormhole/black hole had also gone back in time.

It's just a theory, anyway.

--------------------
"To the Enterprise and the Stargazer. Old girlfriends we'll never meet again." - Scotty

Trekmania -My Comprehensive Trek Resource

The ASDB

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you passed through an event horizon and were through some magic able to come out again, yes, you'd find that an infinite amount of time had passed in the outside universe since you went in.

But why that should be an obstacle to starships, chief among whose features is that warp drive does away with time dilation, is beyond me.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"...they were only interested in technology in 'Q Who?', not assimilation..."

I don't think so. Maybe they didn't want to assimilate the crew at that exact moment, but it was obvious that they were into assimilation in general. Otherwise, where did the Borg that we saw come from?

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Borg had to have always been into assimilation. Why would they have gone after Guinan's entire species otherwise? They just wanted to get the Enterprise-D's technology first.

Phase One: Unknown ship shows up. (Yeah yeah, thanks to our wonderful friend Braga, the Borg knew all about the Federation!) They send a single drone aboard to analyze its technological capabilities to resist. One drone gets fried, but the Borg quickly adapt to the hand phasers.

Phase Two: Prepare for assimilation by locking a tractor beam on the Enterprise. The Enterprise fights back and causes major damage that forces the Borg to go into regeneration mode.

Mark, don't forget that Spock mind-melded with V'ger. Although he was overwhelmed by the link to such a powerful consciousness, he still had to have gotten some fairly accurate information. There's a big difference between a machine and a machine-humanoid hybrid.

The Borg also aren't interested in other beings' quests for perfection. In their mind, they'd be doing the other guys a favor by assimilating them, therefore uniting their two quests for perfection. Take Data in "First Contact," for example. Data is on a quest for "perfection" -- but the Borg would rather that he do it on their terms.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Yeah yeah, thanks to our wonderful friend Braga, the Borg knew all about the Federation!
Try as I might, I can't seem to find his name anywhere in the credits. But I am sure the minor detail of him not being hired by Paramount until several years later is easily overcome through a complicated and entertaining conspiracy theory.
MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sol System:
quote:
Yeah yeah, thanks to our wonderful friend Braga, the Borg knew all about the Federation!
Try as I might, I can't seem to find his name anywhere in the credits. But I am sure the minor detail of him not being hired by Paramount until several years later is easily overcome through a complicated and entertaining conspiracy theory.
I was referring to "Dark Frontier," in which the Hansen Family was assimilated, at least ten years before the events of "Q Who?" [Smile]

The whole point of the early Borg episodes was that the Collective was not aware of the Federation, but once they found out in "Q Who?" they decided to go invite Humanity to join their quest for perfection.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's a good thing you're not British, else you'd certainly feel the brunt of some comment using the word "Hegimony."
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

Er, except for that moment a season earlier where they were assimilating several Starfleet bases.
The Red Admiral
Admiral on Deck....
Member # 602

- posted      Profile for The Red Admiral     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was going by the line from Guinan in 'Q Who?', which went, and I quote:

"They're not interested in you, just your technology..."

And in TBoBW it was also made apparant in the script that the Borg's objective had changed, significantly.

MM, you bring up good points, and I agree there is plenty to counter the Borg/V'Ger theory. But I won't throw it out entirely. There's still a few tantalising titbits that will keep me sitting on the fence for now.

Ever read the TNG book Vendetta? (I think it was) There were some interesting, if somewhat far fetched theories regarding the Borg and the Doomsday Machine in that...

--------------------
"To the Enterprise and the Stargazer. Old girlfriends we'll never meet again." - Scotty

The ASDB

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The book was indeed Vendetta. What seems so far-fetched about a race building a big gun to fight off the Borg?

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

The Red Admiral
Admiral on Deck....
Member # 602

Well, it was stretching it a little, being an obviously attempt to just tie TOS into TNG and the Borg.

(BTW, it wasn't Guinan that said the line about the Borg being only interested in technology in 'Q Who', it was Q himself.)

--------------------

The ASDB

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The "God of Lies"?

Timo Saloniemi

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm with Red Admiral on this. At the time of "Q Who" the assimilation thing cleary wasn't intended. It has since been retconned into the Borg always having had an assimilation urge, but it wasn't planned at the time.

Evidence: Q saying that the Borg aren't interesting in the crew, only their ship. "They've seen it as something they can consume".

Guinan: "They destroyed my people". Yeahm she could have been talking in a general sense, but "they assimilated my people into their own" sounds scarier, and she was trying to get Picard to fly away.

quote:
it was obvious that they were into assimilation in general. Otherwise, where did the Borg that we saw come from?

Don't forget that we saw a nursery in that episode. The implication was that the Borg still have babies (althogh most likely in a totally artificial way. Possibly the sperm and eggs are removed as soon as possible, and the whole thing is done in the borg equivalent of test tubes). The babies are then implanted with cyborg components almost immedietly.

The change was also verbalised in BoBW:

"What the hell do they want with you?"
"I thought they weren't interesting in our life form, only in our technology."
"Their priorities seem to have changed."

And then, by "I,Borg", assimilation has become the Borg's primary goal.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

Or, as Timo says, Q was misrepresenting the Borg. Or, to be charitable, he was mentioning only the parts he found most important at the time.
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps