Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » New Galaxy Class Variant?

Author Topic: New Galaxy Class Variant?
Johnny
Member # 878

- posted      Profile for Johnny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello, while I was lurking and waiting for my registration to come through, I had a delve through the old threads, but couldn't find anything on this subject, so I hope this hasn't been beaten to death already. [Wink]

During DS9's "What You Leave Behind", one of the new shots from the battle shows the Defiant doing a barrel roll and you see this;

-

It looks to me like the Galaxy Class ship doesn't have a normal neck, I noticed it the first time I saw the episode, but never saw it mentioned on any of the main techy Trek sites. Is this new? Am I just looking at big shadow, hoping to have discovered something new?

It can't be the underside of a darknecked GCS since it barely has a neck at all. Doesn't look very structurally sound either.

Here are some more shots that might show it more clearly.

--------------------
deviantArt page | Online portfolio

EdipisReks
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
looks normal to me. you are seeing shadows case by the secondary hull. and what do you mean by the darknecks "barely having a neck"? they have the same neck as any other Galaxy class ship.
IP: Logged
Johnny
Member # 878

- posted      Profile for Johnny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I meant this one doesn't seem to, I'm sure that's not a shadow. Maybe you have to see the actual clip to notice, or I could be wrong.

--------------------

EdipisReks
Ex-Member

it's a shadow. i checked my video (it's a divx, actually, but close enough), and to me, it looks exactly like a shadow. you can see the sides of the neck going into the darkness. are you suggesting that the neck just gradually vaporizes to nothing on the sides?
Johnny
Member # 878

No. [Razz] I'm suggesting the back of the neck is slight a different shape though. I tried making the image brighter to show it more clearly. These clips are from a mpeg, so they're not very good quality(I do have the VHS though, I'm using this for caps though).  -

I'm starting to think it might be a shadow too, but the top of the stardrive section doesn't look right to me. I don't think there would that dark a shadow.

--------------------

EdipisReks
Ex-Member

the ship is the same one they were using for the rest of DS9. there is no difference.
Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looks like the same Galaxy to me. I really don't think a new model would have been created for the final episode with a good possibility it would never be used again. And I think Foundation was doing the CGI for this episode and at the time wasn't sure if a Galaxy would ever be used on Voyager again. So they wouldn't have bothered with a new model.

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

Johnny
Member # 878

Oh well, it was nice theory. Actually it wasn't nice, but it was still a theory.

--------------------

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't remember this scene at all, though. Neat!
Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This was part of a very fast scene where Sisko makes Nog do the manuver in the heat of the battle. By this time the Defiant was nearly out of quantum torpedoes.

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."
-Gene Roddenberry about Star Trek

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's the shadow cast by the 'rounder' bits of the secondary hull. The light source is from BELOW/FRONT of the Galaxy, thus during these pics, the bottom of the Defiant would be in light (and the top dark (see pic) - as it is doing it's barrel roll. Just one thing though, if the Deffie does a barrel roll to avoid phaser, disruptor or torpedo fire - and they are all battling away in close quarters like they are seemingly in every battle, what happens to the torps etc that miss the barrel-rolling defiant, as in this picture they'd probably strike that Galaxy!!

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

EdipisReks
Ex-Member

i'm sure that GCS put more energy to shields when they saw Benjamin "Friendly Fire" Sisko coming towards them. [Smile]

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps