Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Fighters (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Fighters
The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, and just FYI, you have a link to a site called www.starshipschematics.net which doesn't exist. You probably meant www.shipschematics.net.

[Smile]

-MM

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sternbach didn't say that's what the fighters were, he said that's what he thought they most likely were. An important distinction, I think.

Also, this is neither here nor there, but:
quote:
Chekov thinks Spock's vessel in ST:TMP could be "some sort of a courier".
In this case I think Chekov is speaking more towards the shuttle's specific purpose (or that of whomever was aboard it)at that moment, rather than any technical designation of the shuttle itself.
J
Member # 608

- posted      Profile for J     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok... first off, someone mentioned how the Hideki really didn't seem like a fighter and if it was then so was the Bird of Prey. I agree, greatly. I think that the Bird of Prey as was shown in it's very small and cramped version from the movies would fit the job. Under the same arguement so does the Defiant--- and I suppose it does fit.

MinutiaeMan:
"What You Leave Behind" now added to list.

The Red Admiral:
I'm not sure what image you are talking about. All the images on the site came from sources I listed--- maybe you could tell me which one?

Ryan McReynolds:
notepod changed to notepad, they'll = there will, as for the test, it was a joke about what I thought was an extremely hard part of the site to do the thorough analysis of the Ambush scene.

The Mighty Monkey of Mim:
Ju'day reference added. shipschematics.net link fixed [you can understand the mistake can't you? [Smile] ]

That updates me from the last few hours...

--------------------
Later, J
_ _ _ _ _ ___ _ _ _ _ _
The Last Person to post in the late Voyager Forum. Bashing both Voyager, Enterprise, and "The Bun" in one glorious post.

[email protected]
http://webj.cjb.net

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To add fuel to the fire, my Starfleet Museum article about 23rd century fighters has been posted: http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/sfmuseum/alburak.htm

--------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

J
Member # 608

- posted      Profile for J     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Masao... yeah, you made me rush mine to the Flare folks. Yes, I fully admit that I was trying to one up you [don't think I did though].

--------------------
Later, J
_ _ _ _ _ ___ _ _ _ _ _
The Last Person to post in the late Voyager Forum. Bashing both Voyager, Enterprise, and "The Bun" in one glorious post.

[email protected]

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LOL, J!

--------------------

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Masao, the rear of the Penguin Fighter (a subtle hint at the Peregrin? [Smile] ) reminds me of something... is it the back of the Galileo shuttlecraft? What about the little... 'exhaust'? It reminds me of something. What was your inspiration. Maybe it wasn't even Trek... hmm.

Andrew

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Hunter
Member # 611

- posted      Profile for Hunter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Timo:
Yes, Sorry you are correct the episode was Heart Of Stone and not Change of Heart. The ships that J lists as the Perigine where only called Fighters or Tac fighters (the most commanly referenced name that I know of) in WYLB. Of couse TAC (presumbly for Tactical) implies a short range craft lacking a warp drive,at least to me, which is of course wrong. As to the Sub-impulse ship I always got the feeling that it was something that the Bajorans had put together from salvage but I can't think why. The lack of back up and saftey systems maybe?

Regarding "The Maquis part II", doesn't Dax or Sisko state that the Maquis only have 2 long range shuttles with the capabillity to hit the Cardassian Depot. Then they turn out to be the Perigine class ships.

J
In relation to the question of other races ships that may be fighters, have you considered the Romulan Scout? Going by Ex-Astris-Scientia's size charts she's the same size as the Assault ship and Admiral Jarok had no trouble piloting it all alone. Also I belive that the script for "Business as Usual" list the ship that the CRM-117 is tested on as a "Dopterain Interceptor" so there exists a number of alpha quad races which might use fighters making the use of fighters in Starfleet less unsual.

The Red Admiral
Admiral on Deck....
Member # 602

- posted      Profile for The Red Admiral     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
J, it's okay, honestly, but it's the one I captured of the Peregrine from 'Pre-emptive Strike' for Trekmania:

http://www.subspacelink.com/~jsharp/fighters/images/maquis1.jpg

--------------------
"To the Enterprise and the Stargazer. Old girlfriends we'll never meet again." - Scotty

Trekmania -My Comprehensive Trek Resource

The ASDB

Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Masao: Just read the Al-Burak/Swordfish/Puffin/Penguin (phew!) article and as usual it's excellent. I can't really find any major faults; I remember I was pushing for larger, more Defiant sized fighters but I think this balences the size/capeability issues very well. I like the M/AM cells. Only thing I would say is that I'd expect the fighters to have more atmospheric capeability.

--------------------
"I am an almost extinct breed, an old-fashioned gentleman, which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-bitch when it suits me." --Jubal Harshaw

J
Member # 608

Hunter:
Yes... the Romulan shuttle fits it quite well. Perhaps the small Son'a craft from Insurrection. There is probably a dozen other examples of small craft shown that were armed or could be armed well enough for a fighter designation.

As for the lack of backup or safety equipment on the subimpulse ship, I look at that as more of a lack of willingness to buy the "optional" parts.

Red Admiral:
I just wanted to be sure which one it was so I would know who I needed to have a word with [Big Grin] But if you say so, I'll keep my Italian roots buried [Wink]

--------------------
Later, J
_ _ _ _ _ ___ _ _ _ _ _

[email protected]

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

Andrew: Yup, I took the oval ports from the back of the Galileo shuttle. I'm figuring they've something to do with the impulse system. The silver pipe is some sort of intercooler or something, which I've used for other nacelles of that period.

Wraith: I was debating about how much intra-atmospheric capability to give the ships. But, I finally decided that having warp-drive ships swimming around in the thick soup of the atmosphere would be wasteful of their capabilities. Also a big reactor powerful enough for warp and the large nacelle would be sort of heavy to be lugging around. So, one of these days I'll have to design a specialized dropship/ground attack ship to use in the air. I based the size on that of modern-day fighters, like the F-15. Anything much larger and the crewman looked like ants standing next to the ship.

Is CRM-117 a "Dr. Strangelove" reference? You might remember that the CRM-114 is a coding/decoding device through which the bombers communicate with command base.

One last thing: What exactly is a fighter? Is this designation based on size or crew (both small), mission (attacking ships?), range (noninterstellar), performance (warp/nonwarp, fast, maneuverable?) or indepence of operations (carrier-based/tied to land bases or stations) or what? My ships are fighters because they're small and noninterstellar (so have to be carried), but some cannon fighters seem to be defined only on the basis of size.

--------------------

J
Member # 608

Size, ability, and mission all play a part IMO... you can't single out one specific quality.

--------------------
Later, J
_ _ _ _ _ ___ _ _ _ _ _

[email protected]

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For dramatic purposes, "fighter" is any spaceship or spacecraft that can be argued to behave like an aircraft more than like a seagoing ship...

Which means that the most important factors are maneuverability, cockpit design and relative size. Even a huge vessel can be considered a "fighter" if, in the space combat VFX, it twists and turns like a mad dervish on crack after having sat on a fire where a cactus was being roasted. AND if the vessel has a cabin with a view, meaning a big viewscreen or actual windows.

The Defiant qualifies very well. The Galaxy would, if it maneuvered more, and if there was an even larger ship type around that moved in a more gentlemanly fashion. Of course, the multi-crewed ships would be more like "bombers" than "fighters", but some pretty large multi-crew aircraft have been given a fighter designation in the past...

Timo Saloniemi

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Definition of fighter: I've always interpreted it as a small, aircraft-like combat ship. I've never considered the Defiant a fighter myself, but I can certainly see why some people would, considering how it ran circles around the Lakota or the Regent's ship. And there's also the Jem'Hadar attack ship, which is sometimes called a fighter.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps