Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » help with these launch dates? (Page 4)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: help with these launch dates?
Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Ambassador, a "relatively simple ship"?! The first use of that sort of impulse engine design? The return of the bussard collectors? The first known use of phaser strips? Not to mention - the largest Starfleet ship to that point?

Simple?!

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Akira
Member # 850

- posted      Profile for Akira     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with you mark that is not a simple design.

--------------------
Christopher
[email protected]
SR20Egg

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Reverend:
...Or they were just getting ready to paint on the new number when a bunch of naughty Romulans half inched it. [Razz]

Unless they were doing something really stupid, like painting the ship while it hovered in the middle of nowhere, then that means that the Romulans stole it from a Starbase or similar. Rather unlikely, don'tcha think?

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

J
Member # 608

- posted      Profile for J     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mark Nguyen:
The Ambassador, a "relatively simple ship"?! The first use of that sort of impulse engine design? The return of the bussard collectors? The first known use of phaser strips? Not to mention - the largest Starfleet ship to that point?

Simple?!

Mark

That large part has nothing to do with it... making something bigger shouldn't be that difficult for Star Fleet. Bussard collectors should be a cake walk.

As for the Impulse Engines, I maintain that the warp field coils were used before the space-time driver coil was placed within the Impulse Engine. Some type of super accelleration device is needed to help explain the maneuvers of ships even before the Ambassador. The only difference that the space-time driver brings to the table is:

1) Constant use because bigger ships need it
2) Extra Wear & Tear on warp field coils stopped
3) Powered by Fusion generators [something that occured regularly before Antimatter].

The driver coil isn't new technology, it's just a new and combined application of old stuff--- nothing very special there, just a bunch of theoretical work IMO. Test it out on an old Constitution.

As for the phaser strips, I should probably conceed on this point. But I won't. I see arrays are a natural technological evolution. Going from a turret to a line of fixed emitters that are chained together and can discharge into each other thus combining their power.

We see a great deal of technological advancement in the Intrepid and Sovereign classes, but they didn't take as long as the Galaxy... more than likely this is because more resources were applied to their construction--- with the Ambassador, you've got more resources than you did with the Excelsior but not as many advancements in as many different areas as the Excelsior. This is what I meant by "relatively simple," no new ship is simple, but many of the things on the Ambassador just seem to be early 24th century versions of old technology modified in new ways but still completely understandable to the old folks.

--------------------
Later, J
_ _ _ _ _ ___ _ _ _ _ _
The Last Person to post in the late Voyager Forum. Bashing both Voyager, Enterprise, and "The Bun" in one glorious post.

[email protected]
http://webj.cjb.net

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps