Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Nebula secondary hull torpedo lancher (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Nebula secondary hull torpedo lancher
Amasov Prime
lensfare-induced epileptic shock
Member # 742

- posted      Profile for Amasov Prime     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It occured to me that - no matter if you think FC's torpedo launcher mistake was a mistake or not - the class must have another launcher. The Leeds/Lexigton/Endeavour - whatever it was - fired that torpedo from some 'hidden' launcher somwhere above the deflector, below the saucer, but there is no evidence that there really is a launcher. But if you take into concideration that the Nebula's pod is modular and that the Phoenix configuration (the dish) wouldn't have a torpedo launcher at all in this case - how did Phoenix destroy the cardassian freighter in "The Wounded"? The tactical display on the main screen revealed that Phoenix fired torpedos at the cardassian ship. Where did they come from?

Furthermore, if the deflector-launcher exists (or is just a special equippment of dish-variant Nebulas and the FC-ship was refitted shortly before the battle begun), why did they place it above the deflector? This has to be the most useless position for a launcher on the whole ship - you can just fire at ships directly in front, slightly below your ship. So could the mysterious launcher be located in front of the captain's yacht, Sovereign-style? At least this would make a little more sense.

--------------------
"This is great. Usually it's just cardboard walls in a garage."

Dax
Paradox
Member # 191

- posted      Profile for Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The USS Melbourne proto-Nebula comes to mind as another problem ship.

--------------------
"I exist here."
- Sisko in "Emissary"
Dax's Ships of Star Trek

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you ask me, the best place for the nebula's forward launcher would be where the auxilery deflector currently is.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

David Templar
Saint of Rabid Pikachu
Member # 580

- posted      Profile for David Templar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My theory is that almost all Nebula's deattachable pod varients contain at least one torpedoe launcher, since even a science pod would need something to launch probes with. The tactical pods simply support larger launchers like those onboard the Galaxy, while normal pod support something more practical and economic.

--------------------
"God's in his heaven. All's right with the world."

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Those pods are gigantic affairs, larger than TOS starships. It would be a major engineering problem to *invent enough stuff to fill them with*!

I'm sure there could be twenty big torpedo launchers in the Phoenix pod, and still plenty of room for subspace scanners or whatnot. The problem lies in the absence of visible torp launcher muzzles in the pod. But "The Wounded" never gave us a high-res view, so we can postulate muzzles wherever we want...

Still, I think it's a good idea to say the Nebulas have secondary hull launchers. And thus, I'm perfectly happy with a torp-less Phoenix pod. The "FC" VFX is lamentable in ruling out some logical locations for the launchers, but one atop/in place of the captain's yacht would be fine.

Indeed, I'm sure Starfleet could install small torp launchers all over the ships if needed. Weapons on Starfleet ships are an afterthought anyway. The only interesting issue is whether a large number of weapon emplacements is better than a small number... Why would it be, when multi-emplacement ships virtually never fire their weapons simultaneously?

Timo Saloniemi

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm going to look at the pictures of the Nebula Class physical models I have. But still, I think there is enough room to place a launcher above the deflector without hitting the Captain's Yacht, something the Nebula Class definately got from the Galaxy Class.

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."
-Gene Roddenberry about Star Trek

NeghVar
Member # 62

- posted      Profile for NeghVar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Vice-Admiral Michael T. Colorge:
I'm going to look at the pictures of the Nebula Class physical models I have. But still, I think there is enough room to place a launcher above the deflector without hitting the Captain's Yacht, something the Nebula Class definately got from the Galaxy Class.

Michael,

I am in complete agreement with Timo and you. Just look at Voyager with its freakish torpedo launcher setup.

Later!
Art

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Checking both the studio models of the Nebula and Intrepid classes, I see no problem of the Nebbie having a torp launcher in its very short neck above the main deflector. A launched torpedo would barely just miss the captain's yacht. And the forward torp launchers on the Intrepid class have full clearance. There's nothing blocking the line of sight (including the aerowing shuttle) from a forward view of the model.

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Torpedoes do not travel in straight lines! And on the Voyager model, you can see that the launchers are in fact anted DOWNWARDS by 5-10 degrees, increasing the safety margin...

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

EdipisReks
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Furthermore, if the deflector-launcher exists (or is just a special equippment of dish-variant Nebulas and the FC-ship was refitted shortly before the battle begun), why did they place it above the deflector? This has to be the most useless position for a launcher on the whole ship - you can just fire at ships directly in front, slightly below your ship.
torpedoes move around a lot, and ship distances are (despite what is sometimes seen) very long. torpedoes would have plenty of ability to hit targets very far from their initial firing vector.
IP: Logged
Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've looked at many schematics and pics of Voyager and the forward torp launchers do not seem to be slanted down. But believe what you will. I don't want to start a big debate about this.

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

Endeavour3d
Ex-Member

Farragut Model

look under the saucer where it meets the deflector, there is an obvious square module, in First Contact, the torpedoes come form that location. Mystery solved [Smile]

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This would be somewhere in the area blacker than the blackest thing ever? Easily discernable!
Endeavour3d
Ex-Member

bah, you need eyes [Razz] [Big Grin]

ok here, I did the hard work for you [Razz]

-

[Smile]

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So somewhere within the pitch black oval, then. Gotcha.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps