Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Nebula secondary hull torpedo lancher (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Nebula secondary hull torpedo lancher
Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Silly newbie! I enhanced that image and it's just the short neck the Nebbie has. It's just in a lot of shade! There are no notches or holes to suggest they modified the model in that area.

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

Endeavour3d
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hmm, seems you are right, it is part of the neck, stupid Studio Model makers, they could have at least shoved a launcher port in there with it, grrrr

-

IP: Logged
Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Regardless, I think we've proven now that there IS space there for a launcher that can fire uncontested.

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Siwiak
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just remember that the Nebula model has gone through a good deal of changes, and it is possible somebody decided to poke a hole in there for a launcher tube. Remember how in TNG they ended up gluing on more tractor emitters and what not to the smaller, but more detailed Enterprise-D when they realized they needed the ship to do something that the original specs apparently wouldn't allow?

Also, as somebody pointed out, torpedoes in Star Trek are not really torpedo weapons, but more like our modern-day missiles. They have the ability to track a target long after they leave the launcher... which makes sense, seeing that they have a range 4,050,000 kilometers (DS9 TM). That's like going to the moon and back more then 5 times if you need to get a feel for the distance. Given how far apart starships are in a battle, the only time your torpedo will fly straight out the launcher in a straight line for the target is if you're right behind it and nobody moves.

A limited firing arc is a moot point when the object being launched can change course and guide itself towards a target. ST:VI does have a memorable scene with a torpedo doing that...

IP: Logged
Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
However, the Leeds was just a relable of the Farragut. And you can see there are no notches or holes in the neck. After the Leeds, the Nebbies were CGI. The CGI model could have had a notch or hole in that area, but most likely the model was made with elements of the Galaxy CGI model rearranged (the Galaxy's torp laucher was further up in the neck and would have been taken out when creating the Nebbie) with only the weapons pod and support strut as new parts.

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes but in the Star Trek universe, the Nebula Classes could have recieved an extra foward launcher above the main deflector dish.

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."
-Gene Roddenberry about Star Trek

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

I'm not saying thats not possible. I'm just saying the models don't show any evidence of launchers. That being said, I say the launchers are there. No one bothered to update the models because they probably thought they would never need to fire a torpedo out of there and if they did need to, it probably wasn't going to be a close up shot... which it wasn't.

quote:
Also, as somebody pointed out, torpedoes in Star Trek are not really torpedo weapons, but more like our modern-day missiles. They have the ability to track a target long after they leave the launcher... which makes sense, seeing that they have a range 4,050,000 kilometers (DS9 TM). That's like going to the moon and back more then 5 times if you need to get a feel for the distance. Given how far apart starships are in a battle, the only time your torpedo will fly straight out the launcher in a straight line for the target is if you're right behind it and nobody moves.
Which is why I find the idea of slanted or angled -whichever way torpedo launchers to be stupid. Why make the effort to make a launcher like that when you can keep it straight and when it fires a torpedo, the torpedo can move away from the ship or whatever and go find its target.

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ah, the Revelle-Monogram USS Voyager model has the forward launchers pointed downward unlike the shooting model which has them pointed straight foward. I should know since I corrected the launchers on the plastic model.

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."
-Gene Roddenberry about Star Trek

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In that picture above... has anyone noticed that the nacelle pylons don't connect horizontally to the 'neck' area... they slightly curve up into the saucer section! A Saucer-placed warpcore?

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It seems to me they curve more *forward* than up, if you understand what I mean. I still think there's a separation plane between the top surfaces of the nacelles and the bottom of whatever cut-in the saucer has.

Timo Saloniemi

Dax
Paradox
Member # 191

- posted      Profile for Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree, the pylons curve fwd rather than up (it's a trick of the eye). They're basically just the Galaxy pylons turned upside down.

--------------------
"I exist here."
- Sisko in "Emissary"
Dax's Ships of Star Trek

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ahh yes. I see it now. The phaser strip stopping where it does and being fewed at that angle plays a trick on the eye.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps