Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Star Charts (Page 3)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Star Charts
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Perhaps he figured Timo is well known enough that he could just write "To: Timo, in Iceland" on the side of the package and it would inevitably find its way to the right person.
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If he's that famous, why does he feel the need to sign all of his posts? Eh? EH?!

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And to be fair, "Children shake their fists and have MAGIC happen" is the worst idea ever. Followed shortly after by "Geordi gets a holodeck woman to solve an engineering problem for him because his staff are out having coffee".

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, well, Mandel's mailing mistake was more of the nature of "Now where did I put the address again? Hey, Timo, is it okay if I just send this over to Reykjavik?" [Smile]

And the worst plot idea ever was to write "More Tribbles, More Troubles" and destroy all illusion about Gerrold actually having more than one good idea.

Timo Saloniemi
FINLAND
More information available from vendor as needed

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hail, hail, fire and snow!

In my elementary school, there was this cheap, small little hardback book about Star Trek. It was sort of a behind the scenes/trivia kind of thing. It didn't strike me as being particularly directed towards children, but I was, like, 8 or 9, so what did I know?

Anyway, that little rhyme was the answer to one of the questions, and I checked it out so often I memorized the chant, despite the fact that I don't think I've ever seen "And The Children Shall Lead." This is, I suspect, uninteresting to everyone but me.

No sign of Star Charts around here, oddly enough. I'm planning an expedition Friday. We shall see. (Maybe I'll pick up volume 30 of the original series DVDs while I'm out.)

EdipisReks
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sol System, you are SO SO SO lucky not to have seen "And the Children Shall Lead". i envy you.
IP: Logged
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

So how many people have this book? Or have even seen it? As far as I can tell, even the major bookstore chains are only stocking it by special order. This does not, it would seem, bode well.
Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Through the wonders of Amazon, I received mine in Japan on Wednesday.

--------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

Ok, Amazon, sure. But besides that.
The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, my university bookstore, which has had the same piles of ancient Trek reference books dating back to The Trekker's Guide to Deep Space Nine -- Now updated to the end of the Fifth Season!" and to all eyes appears to sell next to nothing has gone from the seven copies it initially stocked down to two. Now, one of those is mine. But, uh, I'd be tempted to say it went over well enough here.

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hang-on, yeah - Timo you're from Finland aren't you... what is this talk of Iceland?

Timo, have you read the Kalevala?

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Timo does live in Finland. But, in an interview that was posted a while back, Mandel referred to him as "a fan in Iceland".
Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All right, the Charts arrived yesterday! They look good next to my copy of the Kalevala...

Heck, they'd look good no matter what. I guess people might buy this book just for the pretty pictures.

I have mixed feelings about the Alpha/Beta quadrant map art, though. Mainly because it's virtually identical to what I originally drew atop Christian's real stars. No, I'm certainly not bitter about copyright or anything - I'm definitely happy the art is there. I just sigh for the lack of surprises. [Smile]

I just love what Mandel did with "Sierra" and "Tango" and "Epsilon" and "Gamma" and the assorted seemingly nonstandardly named outposts. And it's a wonderful idea to use known Romulan and Klingon ship names as Romulan and Klingon stellar names. And the various TAS bits are generally really subtle...

Too bad we didn't get a better look at the DS9 war maps before - the legend boxes would have revealed that the dashed lines were indeed supposed to represent prewar borders. Sigh. Then again, only the first map bears close scrutiny - in the later editions, Jem'Hadar formations suddenly start attacking Cardassian space, Ferenginar careens madly across the sector, and AR-558 is more mobile than the Cardassian fleets... Overall, I think Alpha ended up being a pretty good match for those maps.

Some missing highlights there, like the Mutara nebula and Genesis planet, or Benzar. Some of the "freely positionable" things could have been squeezed closer together IMHO, like the Lembatta cluster and Archanis which are tied together by "Nor the Battle". Overall, though, no big complaints... Except for the positioning of Talax/ia!

The "Enterprise" maps look very good. Yes, it seems a mistake to say that the ship returned to Earth after "Broken Bow" - but since Mandel says there was a "warp highway" between Earth and Qo'noS, it would make sense for Archer to use that to return most of the way, even if he didn't return all the way. It's exciting to be in the deep end of the pool, but Qo'noS is a bit TOO deep.

Timo Saloniemi

Captain Stark
Member # 70

- posted      Profile for Captain Stark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've also been studying the Star Trek Star Charts since I picked up the book last week. I felt that the list of planets was woefully incomplete. Yes the book was very colorful but lacking with out a complete list of planets. When I found the book in the bookstore I was a little suprized to see how small it was.

I don't have the book with me now but another thing I noticed was Sarpedion (IIRC) is listed as being in the Cardassian Union. My question was, didn't Kirk and Company visit it durring the Original Series?

Also http://www.i-sci-fi.com did an interview on one of their shows a few weeks ago with Larry Nemecheck who was credited in the the book as helping out with the content. He mentioned that the The Patriarchy was suppost to be the Kzin but Paramount nixed the reference because of legal concerns with Larry Niven. I did like all of the other TAS references in the book.

Another thing I was hoping for was illustrations of the other maps we have seen on the show. There have been several through out the series.

Overall I enjoyed the book, despite the list of planets I felt was needed.

Captain Stark

Curry Monster
Somewhere in Australia
Member # 12

- posted      Profile for Curry Monster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sarpidian V was mentioned in S7 of DS9 (The Dogs of War, I think) its the headquarters of the 12th order.
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps