Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » STIII sketches from the Mag (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: STIII sketches from the Mag
The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, the side view is of the same familiar 4-naceller we've all known about, and the top view is this model, which is also previously known.

-MMoM [Big Grin]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Joshua Bell
Member # 327

- posted      Profile for Joshua Bell     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmmm...

In this shot:

http://fleetyard.virtualave.net/temp/spacedock_study3.jpg

Is that a Hermes/Saladin backing out?

--------------------
http://www.calormen.com/Star_Trek/FAQs/

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, it's a small model of the Enterprise, but with only one nacelle.

A rumination...this pic:

http://fleetyard.virtualave.net/temp/spacedock_study2.jpg

I believe that this is the model used in the Qualor II depot that we thought was the Tyrus particle fountain. Looking at the screencap closer, the underside of the top dome looks way more like the underside of the actual Spacedock than the underside of the particle fountain model. I'm not sure if this is actually the same model as the fountain (i.e. the model was modified into the fountain), or that the fountain was a seperate model based on this study. What do you all think?

--------------------
"A film made in 2008 isn't going to look like a TV series from 1966 if it wants to make any money. As long as the characters act the same way, and the spirit of the story remains the same then it's "real" Star Trek. Everything else is window dressing." -StCoop

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The tiny Enterprise has one nacelle because it was only supposed to be looked at from the side, for scale reference.

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dukhat - I believe you are correct. There is the surrounding cylinders which are present in both - but the spacedock study AND the background station at Qualor II don't have the bottom mushroom 'cap' but another group/tapered core.

So where did the particle fountain comefrom? Did they spruce up one of those Spacedock studies?

Andrew

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is the four-nacelle study we've seen before:

http://lobotomy.pleh.net/~flareupload/uploads/44/quad2.jpg

This is the 'flat' two-nacelled study we've seen before:

http://lobotomy.pleh.net/~flareupload/uploads/44/study2.jpg

This is the NEW ship posted early in this thread: (I thought it was two - but look closly at the top and you can see the four nacelles).

http://fleetyard.virtualave.net/temp/ilm_exc.jpg

Well seeing as the second ship I posted is NOT the top ship of the last pic (which I thought it might have been until I saw the extra two nacelles) It can be discarded.

There is no way that this new ship is the same as the quad-naceller that we've known about for a while.

So how many OTHER Excelsior studies are out there!!

And has this second quad-naceller appeared in BOBW and/or Unification?

Andrew

--------------------

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
Member # 646

I don't know...I think it might be just a top view of the two-naceller, and there's some wierd bits on the end of the nacelles that make it look like it has four from the top.

Hopefully we'll find out for sure when January's mag comes out. (That little picture is a preview from the back cover of the current mag, for the next issue's article on designing the Excelsior...)

-MMoM [Big Grin]

--------------------

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

Yeah, but look there are two of the grey doo-hickies at the aft end of the nacelles (well four in total).

--------------------

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, but those would be two per nacelle...

The top view in the new photo matches the old side view of the 2-naceller in almost every respect: the saucer, the superstructure above the saucer, and the square thing with the round dome atop it are quite identical in detail. It's just the aft end where we got surprises, mainly because it was so darkened-out and obstructed in the older photo.

OTOH, I think we can all also agree that the top view in the new photo cannot be of the same ship as the bottom view in that photo. The squarish thing with a dome is clearly different in the top and bottom ships, for example (and the bottom one matches the known 4-naceller, just like the top one matched the known 2-naceller).

Timo Saloniemi

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

The Quad-on-the-desk only has ONE grey doohicky per nacelle.

--------------------

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK, this is getting needlessly confusing. Let's see if I can clear this up.

1. The picture of the top view and side view of the Excelsior study models ARE NOT THE SAME SHIP. The top view shows the "flat" study model, while the side view shows the quad-naceller that Okuda gave us the pics of years ago.

2. The confusion arises because the top view of the flat study model shows that there are pointed ends on the nacelles similar to the quad-naceller, and that both models look to be the same bluish color. Until this pic came out, we didn't know that the nacelles were like this because we couldn't see them in the Art of Star Trek photo.

3. There are four known Excelsior study models: The "flat" ship, the quad-naceller, the model that looks closer to the actual Excelsior but not quite, and the final model which looks almost exactly like the Excelsior (which we only have a top-view of).

So there.

--------------------
"A film made in 2008 isn't going to look like a TV series from 1966 if it wants to make any money. As long as the characters act the same way, and the spirit of the story remains the same then it's "real" Star Trek. Everything else is window dressing." -StCoop

Micromaniac
Member # 546

- posted      Profile for Micromaniac     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is there a plan/schematic of the Oberth/Miranda Excelsior?
Also for Wolf 359 there used to be a show called SCI Fi Buzz on TV about 10 years ago - there was one episode where the Kyushu model was shown and it was stated that this and other Wolf 359 types were to be on a special home shopping network edition concerning Star Trek around Christmas of that year -never did find if this happened?!!

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps