Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » $$Transparent Tech ("Vanishing Point" Spoilers) (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: $$Transparent Tech ("Vanishing Point" Spoilers)
Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Um let's see, Hoshi's imagination had Archer telling Tucker to have a new protocol that compresses the matter stream and signal so it doesn't degrade (or at least it doesn't as much or at a slower rate)

And what else? Oh, people are afraid because they know the transporter dematerializes matter and if anything is put back in the wrong place, it could mean trouble... especially for living things. And that most have never been through it and certainly don't want to for fear of the aforementioned possibility. And even in Hoshi's imagination, her father had never heard of such a device and so the general public would be afraid to go through it when they don't understand what goes on with the device. And remember, McCoy, Pulaski, and Barclay were afraid of it, so the fear still exists up the 24th century. Just like today some people are still afraid to fly.

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not gonna do the writeup for this episode. It's been three days since I saw it, and the ONLY thing that I can think of to really mention is the use of flash photography - and of taking pictures in general. We know that in TNG they rarely ever use cameras for some reason, Holodoc's shutterbug fetish aside.

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

SoundEffect
Member # 926

- posted      Profile for SoundEffect     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cadet Sorak:
Also, does anyone know of a good website I can go to that talks in detail about how the transporter system "works"? I love theoretical physics and junk like that.

The chapter on the transporter from the TNG Technical Manual is very detailed as to the internal workings and even has a complete 5 second typical transport broken down to hundredths of a second increments. Very good reading!

--------------------
Stephen L.
-Maritime Science Fiction Modelers-

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"this is the STARSHIPS AND TECHNOLOGY forum, not the "Horny Teen Trekkie" forum."

I'm not sure I understand the distinction you're trying to draw here. You do realize that the very fact that we go to an Internet message board to discuss fictional technology (from Trek, no less) places us among the geekiest people in all of history, right?

Perpetual horniness just comes w/ the territory.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, the really serious geeks I know, and by geek here I mean someone who has devoted so much energy to some specific enterprise that their entire selves have been absorbed by it, are often nearly asexual. Which is kind of where I had a hard time with Cryptonomicon, actually. If incredibly smart but strange people found it hard to concentrate without sex, we would never have gotten out of the stone age.
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, the guy (why can't I remember his name?) in Cryptonomicon seemed to be generally flaky, anyway.

And I said we were among the "geekiest" people, not the "most obsessive".

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lawrence Waterhouse, I believe.

And I think obsessiveness is a large component of geekdom.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

I guess it depends upon how you define "obsessive".
MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On the topic of flash photography, it occurred to me almost immediately that we have QuickTime VR technology available even today -- they set up a camera in the middle of the room and take 360� pictures.

Heck, one of the first implementations of this idea was the computer version of the TNG Technical Manual back in 1993! And the same principle was used for the Captain's Chair CD several years later... not to mention the fact that "virtual tours" of the NX-01 Bridge are available on the official website.

I was also wondering just how thorough a scan of the planet these guys performed before sending an away team down. In the teaser Archer called with a "five-minute warning." At the rate that storm was approaching, they wouldn't have had a chance to make it off the planet even if they had left right away!

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TSN:
You do realize that the very fact that we go to an Internet message board to discuss fictional technology (from Trek, no less) places us among the geekiest people in all of history, right?

You know I wouldn't have listened to you if I hadn't gone to a convention yesterday and noticed from the corner of my eye a kid rolling his eyes at a guy - as I was talking to a person next to me about the actual class of the Federation fighter... I was explaining that it was the Peregrine class - but it hadn't been confirmed as such etc. LOL! I made a mental note (maybe spending too much time here!?! Yes?) [Smile]

Andrew

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Sorak
Member # 874

- posted      Profile for Sorak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
By the way, was I the only one who noticed severe plot similarities to TNG's "The Next Phase"??? I was thinking throughout the entire episode how much they drew on that plot. Hoshi, rendered invisible by a transporter accident, can go through walls, but not doors...objects but not floors...and is the only one who knows about a horrible plot against the Enterprise...it goes on and on.

But then they threw you for a loop! Instead of her alerting Commander Data...erm, Tucker of her presence and making him flood Ten Forward with baryon particles to make her visible, they used the "No Place Like Home" ending. Specifically, It Was All a Dream. How extremely depressing. I had hoped for a little more plot originality than all that.

Someone mentioned a while back that there could only be so many plots left after 5 series and hundreds of episodes...could they be right? [Frown]

--------------------
Petty Officer 1st Class Sorak
Chief Tactical Officer
USS Gemini NCC-74680
Task Force 44
Task Group 3
Bravo Fleet

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Everyone (except you) knew of the plot similarities to "The Next Phase". We were already commenting on that when we first got the spoilers some weeks ahead of the airing.

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps