Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » The phantom ship at DS9 (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: The phantom ship at DS9
Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Every few months I feel like starting a new effort to prove there was a new ship in DS9: "The Magnificent Ferengi".

It looked like an Intrepid/Akira hybrid:

http://www.uni-siegen.de/~ihe/bs/startrek/temp/phantom.gif

------------------
"No, thanks. I've had enough. One more cup and I'll jump to warp." (Janeway, asked if she would like some coffee in "Once upon a Time")
www.uni-siegen.de/~ihe/bs/startrek/

The First One
A lovely little thinker, but a bugger when he's pissed
Member # 35

- posted      Profile for The First One         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Vidcap?
Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not available. If anyone wants to capture it, it's the scene at the beginning, just before Quark
tells Rom about the kidnapping of their Moogie.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are you sure you weren't seeing either an Akira or a Yeager?

------------------
"Although I'm so tired, I'll have another cigarette. And curse Sir Walter Raleigh; he was such a stupid git."
-the Beatles, "I'm So Tired"

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The ships in that scene are an Akira and Saber, IIRC. Anyway, they're all identifiable.

------------------
http://frankg.dgne.com/
"CORUSCANT...DOES NOT COMPUTE...I mean, uh, you're under arrest." - Anonymous battle droid

The First One
Member # 35

- posted      Profile for The First One         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, it reminds me a bit of that bizarre Intrepid/Constitution hybrid. . .
Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for Elim Garak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought that was only seen in the DS9TM...

------------------
Garak: "I do apologize. You must be incensed. In fact, if I were in your shoes, I'd... grab a bottle of champagne and shoot me." (DS9: "Our Man Bashir")

The First One
Member # 35

Yes, that's the one I mean. I'm not saying it is, just that it reminds me of it.
Brown_supahero
Member # 83

- posted      Profile for Brown_supahero     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You've must have seen a Yeager
Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

Seems I am the only one to believe in the Akira/Intrepid kitbash. The saucer is almost definitely an Intrepid saucer, the shape, the characteristic hump and the location of the bridge are all correct. It could be the infamous Intrepid/Constitution kitbash from the DS9TM, but the nacelles are definitely (fortunately) not taken from the Constitution. The nacelle pylons are attached to the top of the engineering hull. They look like Akira pylons and seem to run downwards at an angle of 10�-20� to the horizontal plane. The nacelles have a red Bussard collector, a big and a small blue area, just like Akira nacelles.
The First One
Member # 35

From Alidar Jarok. . ?

Identity Crisis
Defender of the Non-Canon
Member # 67

- posted      Profile for Identity Crisis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Definitely the arse end of an Akira. But there is no way that that is an Intrepid saucer. Look at the foward underside - the shape is entirely wrong.

------------------
-->Identity Crisis<--

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

Hey, that's exactly what I was looking for.

I'm not 100% sure about the saucer. Let's try to analyze what we see:
- The shape is rather Sovereign/Intrepid-oval than circular.
- The forward end might be less pointed than an Intrepid saucer.
- The "hump" is where it should be on an Intrepid saucer, and so is the bridge.
- There is some kind of engineering hull behind the saucer, not underneath.
- The nacelle is almost definitely an Akira type.

Maybe the ship is actually an Akira, because the saucer seems to be partially shaded by what could be the catamaran hull. Still, I have some problems with this solution:
- It's definitely not a side view, but an angled view of the saucer (see its rounded "underside"). The two catamaran hulls, however, are not visible, and if the thing above the engineering hull/catamaran is the weapon pod, this section of the ship looks like in a side view.
- The catamaran hull of the Akira begins close to the forward end of the saucer and encloses the bridge. This is not the case in the vidcap.

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
IMO, it's a plain Akira.

------------------
http://frankg.dgne.com/
"CORUSCANT...DOES NOT COMPUTE...I mean, uh, you're under arrest." - Anonymous battle droid

Michael Dracon
aka: NightWing or Altair
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think it's a 100% normal Akira too.
It's just a weird angle at which you are looking at the ship.

------------------
"Isn't Y2K year 2048?? I mean last time I checked 1K was 1024.
Now that Y1.953125K, that's where the real problem lies..."

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps