Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » $$ Glow-in-the-dark Tech! ["The Catwalk" Spoilers] (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: $$ Glow-in-the-dark Tech! ["The Catwalk" Spoilers]
Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, and ferrying down the entire crew on just the two pods would probably have taken far more time than flying out of the way of the storm on the ship herself. It's unlikely that transporters or any putative escape pods would have been used for the evacuation...

Timo Saloniemi

TheWoozle
Member # 929

- posted      Profile for TheWoozle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wonder how different this storm is, from the standard Ion storm? In the TOS era, they where fairly deadly too. Could it just be different terminology? By the time of TNG, an Ion storm is just an inconvenience.

--------------------
joH'a' 'oH wIj DevwI' jIH DIchDaq Hutlh pagh
(some days it's just not worth chewing through the leather straps in the morning)
The Woozle!

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Timo:
Perhaps kahs-won is the girls' version of tal-oth?

Or tal-oth is what they call it in the ghettos of Vulcan. Word up.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

The Vorlon
Member # 52

- posted      Profile for The Vorlon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How many crew? 84? Let's say 6 people per pod, so figure on 14 trips. 2 pods, so that's 7 trips per pod. 4 hours (240mins) of notice divided by 7 trips equals a 34.286 minute window for a round-trip. Sounds reasonable, eh? I'd bet they could even cram 10 people per pod if they had to.

At any rate, given the shape of the storm as seen out the window, one wonders why Enterprise could not travel straight up from the galactic plane and get away from the storm. It wasn't very tall from the looks of things. Oh well, there go the writers thinking in such 2-dimensional terms again...

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And underestimating the vastness of space.
SoundEffect
Member # 926

- posted      Profile for SoundEffect     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by E. Cartman:
And underestimating the vastness of space.

Careful there though...it's just the vastness that we sometimes forget...despite what it looked like on screen, Enterprise could've travelled 'up' at warp 5 for 8 hours and not outrun the brunt of the wave...you can't judge what we saw with any sense of scale.

--------------------
Stephen L.
-Maritime Science Fiction Modelers-

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Timo:
Perhaps kahs-won is the girls' version of tal-oth?

Oh, so now Spock is a girl, huh? [Razz]

Re: Spock's name---
Was it really said in "This Side of Paradise" (that's the right episode, right?) that Spock had a first name that was unpronounceable? As I recall, Leila Kalomi (or whatever her name was) asked "Do you have another name?" Unless I'm mistaken about the line, I'd say its pretty clear that the name by which Vulcans are commonly called is their given name, whereas there is also a family name that is not generally used.

-MMoM [Big Grin]

P.S.
I spelled it wrong, I think. I believe it's actually kahs-wan.

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
-CHEF APPEARS FOR THE FIRST TIME!!! Well, sorta. YOu don't see his head, and he doesn't say anything, but he's there in his white overalled glory handing out food. I wonder if it's anyone on the production crew, or if it's a regular extra we'll be seeing again.
I don't think we will ever see his face. He's like Wilson Wilson from "Home Improvement", Peggy's mother from "Married... with Children" or the woman from "Tom & Jerry".
Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or Cow and Chicken's parents.

Did anyone catch the name of the aliens?

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Takrit & the Takrit Militia.

Unless you mean the characters' names, in which case I saw Danny "I've been a Hirogen, a Jem'Hadar, & a Starfleet Marine even though Marines don't exist" Goldring & Zach "Ed Norton Scared The Fuck Out Of Me In 'Fight Club'" Grenier.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, that's Takret, I believe.

And closed-captioning says it's just T'Plana. After listening to Archer again, I'm not hearing any trailing "-Hath" either. I guess it's a new ship then. (As mentioned, it could simply be a Vulcan name thing, but that gets a little too far into interpretation of/speculation on the Vulcan language, which is just too sketchy for my taste.)

I was a little surprised that shutting down the main power grid still left every single display screen up on the bridge. [Roll Eyes]

-MMoM [Big Grin]

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I'd think it was even more surprising if the most advanced hunk of metal thus far developed by humanity didn't have a basic auxilliary system to keep essential electronic equipment (plus their uber-energy-efficient magictech displays) functioning when the main power grid was off.

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
Member # 646

quote:
Originally posted by TheWoozle:
I wonder how different this storm is, from the standard Ion storm? In the TOS era, they where fairly deadly too. Could it just be different terminology? By the time of TNG, an Ion storm is just an inconvenience.

Well, it wasn't an ion storm. It was a NEUTRONIC storm. Though what difference that would make, I'll leave to those of us more well-versed in the behavior of uncharged as opposed to charged particles to explain.

The_Tom: Okay, I'll buy that.

Oh, and I just realized that the reference to osmium as the metal used in the construction of the catwalk is a TOS reference as well. The artificial Kalandan out post planet from "That Which Survives" (TOS) was made up of a diburnium-osmium alloy. More nifty-ness! [Smile]

-MMoM [Big Grin]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Osmium is a real metal. Unlikely they got it from TOS.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
Member # 646

quote:
Originally posted by Harry:
Osmium is a real metal. Unlikely they got it from TOS.

Considering all the other TOS/TAS references? I don't think it's unlikely at all.

-MMoM [Big Grin]

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps