Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » $$ Glow-in-the-dark Tech! ["The Catwalk" Spoilers] (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: $$ Glow-in-the-dark Tech! ["The Catwalk" Spoilers]
Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The whole episode is a take on the notion of sheltering on a ship when dangerous stuff is happening out there, a significant concern for real-life interplanetary flights. Well, real-life ray storms are a hell of a lot less bumpy. [Smile]

-Listen to the background computer sounds during the briefing room scene at the opening of Act One. Aren't those sounds more TOS than normal?

-The titular catwalk is a pretty neat set. The osmium stuff it's made of makes them the most heavily shielded part of the ship, next to sickbay, oddly enough. Getting there is a pain, requiring a lot of crawling through Jeffries tubes. Supposedly, the catwalk runs within the warp coils.. This is odd, as on the Galaxy class there is nothing in there except the plasma stream. Where does the plasma go on Enterprise? Anyway, the space suit will let someone survive for 22 mintues before a lethal dose is absorbed.

-The Vulcans have run into this sort of storm a century ago. Their ship, the T'plana (sp?) didn't survive. Travis ran into something similar on his family's ship, and spent six weeks in a similar shielded room.

-With everyone packed into the catwalks, it reminds me a lot of certain ships in the Battlestar Galactica fleet... They set up a makeshift conn and command centre in one of the front chmabers, and the latrines in the back - interesting mention of that. [Wink]

-Solkar was the frst Vulcan ambassador to Earth.

-Reed took zero-G training at "Lunaport"... Why they hell do you take Z-G training on the moon?!

-Denobula has twelve billion people on a single continent. Understandably, space is at a premium.

-CHEF APPEARS FOR THE FIRST TIME!!! Well, sorta. YOu don't see his head, and he doesn't say anything, but he's there in his white overalled glory handing out food. I wonder if it's anyone on the production crew, or if it's a regular extra we'll be seeing again.

-The requisite trouble begins when sensors indicate the matter and antimatter injectors come online - the core under regular operations heats up the nacelles to a toasty 300 degrees (Celsius, presumably). Trip suits up and heads down to engineering, to discover that a bunch of uniforms have docked their really pointy ship looking for a bunch of fugitives the Enterprise crew took in with the understanding that they were stellar cartographers.

-The uniformed militia and the fugitives are natually immune to the radiation, which makes it really easy for the pirates (the corrupted militia) to ransack other ships. During the ransacking, the leader of the militia goes through the Captain's logs, which refer to the Mazarites from last season and rescuing some ship, presumably from that desert planet episode.

-The warp coils take about 20 minutes to power up.

-This week's movie is a western. Can anyone ID the film? Someone was working for Sheriff Boggs...

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's a lot cheaper to put a boatload of cadets into orbit from the Moon.
Ryan McReynolds
Minor Deity
Member # 28

- posted      Profile for Ryan McReynolds     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mark Nguyen:
-Solkar was the frst Vulcan ambassador to Earth.

Nice to see Spock's great-grandfather get a mention. Fits with the idea that Vulcans typically follow in their family's career footsteps.

quote:
-Reed took zero-G training at "Lunaport"... Why they hell do you take Z-G training on the moon?!

I dunno, but it's a TAS reference! Amanda, Spock's mother, was killed in a shuttle accident at Lunaport in the alternate timeline of "Yesteryear."

Combined with the apparent TOS sounds, this seems like a pretty good one for continuity, eh?

--------------------
Enterprise: An Online Companion

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." --Phillip K. Dick

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sussman and Strong TOS/TAS coolness. Yahoo!

Interestingly, Decipher decided to make the nameless first vulcan on Earth from ST:FC into Solkar for their CCG a few years back.

In any case, the speculative history of Vulcan relations on Earth in the decade post-FC that's been rattling around my head for a year now has gotten potentially cooler.

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
if they managed to work in a DeForest Kelley western, i would be thrilled..
Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This "Lunaport" reference, if deliberately TAS, is just plain �bercool. And boy, will I look weird if I say that outside Flare. [Razz]

OTOH, it could be a randomly picked, deliciously skiffy name for a lunar installation. (I was first reminded of "I'm at Marsport without Hilda"...)

As for the zero-gee thing, Lunaport could be an orbital station serving the lunar surface, a sort of local Spacedock.

Timo Saloniemi

Ryan McReynolds
Minor Deity
Member # 28

- posted      Profile for Ryan McReynolds     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The_Tom:
Interestingly, Decipher decided to make the nameless first vulcan on Earth from ST:FC into Solkar for their CCG a few years back.

If they really wanted to be spiff, Soval would have been named "Skon," so that Solkar, Skon, and Sarek could have been the only three Ambassadors to Earth/Federation up through the 2260s. That would have really set up a tradition for Spock to shun by joining Starfleet. As it is, though, having them three of many isn't bad.

--------------------
Enterprise: An Online Companion

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." --Phillip K. Dick

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, a Vulcan ship called T'Plana was destroyed in a storm a century ago. And just under a century ago, the first Vulcan ship to officially visit Earth was called T'Plana-Hath. Maybe they're the same ship, and it was destroyed not too long after leaving Earth.
Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or maybe "-Hath" is the Vulcan way of saying "-A".

But wasn't a Vulcan philosopher named T'Plana-Hath? And if that's the case, wouldn't calling a Vulcan ship "T'Plana" be equivalent to calling the aircraft carrier USS Harry S. Truman the "USS Harry"?

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or just USS Truman. There's no reason Vulcans would have to follow the Given Name-Christian Name routine, they could have it backwords like the Bajorans.

--------------------
"Lotta people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting."

-Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney, LeMans

SoundEffect
Member # 926

- posted      Profile for SoundEffect     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Supposedly, the catwalk runs within the warp coils.. This is odd, as on the Galaxy class there is nothing in there except the plasma stream. Where does the plasma go on Enterprise?

The catwalk on the graphic runs below the warp coils, not in the middle of them. The plasma would be flowing above them. That's why they look upwards when the warp drive is turned back on and we see a glow from the cieling. The catwalk is probably a nacelle Jefferies Tube or maintenance corridor

quote:
The Vulcans have run into this sort of storm a century ago. Their ship, the T'plana (sp?) didn't survive.

Are you sure Archer didn't actually say T'Plana' Hath? It sounded like it to me, he just ran the word together, whereas Spock enunciated every syllable. So now we know what happened to the ship sometime after First Contact with Earth...[/qb]

--------------------
Stephen L.
-Maritime Science Fiction Modelers-

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Two more cool TAS references:
-Phlox keeps Edosian slugs. (Lt. Arex of TAS having been from Edos.)
-T'Pol went through the kahs-won ritual of going out into the desert to prove oneself, just as Spock did in "Yesteryear." (Tuvok also described the ritual on VGR, but he called it by a different name, the tal-oth.)

And in fact, the whole idea of a catwalk spanning the length of the warp nacelle is a sort of TAS homage, too, as this was first seen in the animated episode "One of Our Planets is Missing."

Who wrote this episode? They certainly did their research! [Smile]

-MMoM [Big Grin]

P.S.
It sounded to me like Archer might have said T'Plana-hath as well. I wasn't able to check it with closed-captioning, though. I'll try to catch it again on my other TV on Sunday.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"...Given Name-Christian Name..."

Those are the same thing (unless you're not Christian).

The Vorlon
Member # 52

- posted      Profile for The Vorlon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Er, why didn't the crew just shuttle down to the planet and leave the Enterprise in orbit? Or maybe just leave the bridge-crew in the catwalk and the rest of the crew on the planet?

One would think that the atmosphere would protect them. Are we to assume that the storm killed all the life on the planet that they were so keen on studying at the start of the ep?

Bummer, eh?

--------------------
Sheridan: "Well, as answers go, short, to the point, utterly useless and totally consistant with what I've come to expect from a Vorlon..."
Kosh: "Good."
Sheridan: "I REALLY hate it when you do that..."
Kosh: "Good."

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, we know that Spock has a first name that cannot be pronounced, and a family name that can (but it was very difficult for Amanda to learn to do so). The names "Spock", "Sarek", "Skon" and "Solkar" thus have to be something other than first names or family names. (It's quite possible that the first name is the family name, of course, and Amanda simply did better than Spock gave credit for human females for. Or then Amanda was flattering herself.)

T'Plana-Hath could have lived at a time when the naming rules were different, considering she was quoted as being something like an originator of a concept that Surak is more famous for. Was she his mentor, or apostle?

Nice catch with the catwalk and "One of Our Planets"! The TAS references simply must have been deliberate here.

Perhaps kahs-won is the girls' version of tal-oth? [Smile]

Timo Saloniemi

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps