Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » The coolest Starship website I've ever seen! (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: The coolest Starship website I've ever seen!
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mucus:
...and thus began one of the more tragic debates in Flare history. More destructive than the debates about the 120m Defiant, more disturbing than the debates about PsyLiam's true gender, and more annoying than the classic Star Trek vs. Star Wars debates.

Thus began the most devastating ship length debate in documented history...punctuated only by a sordid tangent: "Who would win in a fight between the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man and King Kong?"

...and thus my last name is realized yet again. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You mean "Abbadon"? From the English for "a man named Donald who enjoys shitty Swedish pop music"?
The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The real question is can he dance, can he ji-ive?

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gee, King Kong really shot up between 1933 and 1962, when he had his famous fight with Godzilla in King Kong Vs. Godzilla... [Eek!] [Big Grin]
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TSN:
You mean "Abbadon"? From the English for "a man named Donald who enjoys shitty Swedish pop music"?

"Abbadon" means destroyer: it is a derivitave of the greek Apolyion....something of a mixed culture from the way back when the Jews kept getting kicked out of diffrent countries.
Fun non-canon bible facts from yours truly on Chrstmas Eve.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

MrNeutron
Member # 524

- posted      Profile for MrNeutron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Mighty Monkey of Mim:
Gee, King Kong really shot up between 1933 and 1962, when he had his famous fight with Godzilla in King Kong Vs. Godzilla... [Eek!] [Big Grin]

Puberty.

--------------------
"Well, I mean, it's generally understood that, of all of the people in the world, Mike Nelson is the best." -- ULTRA MAGNUS, steadfast in curmudgeon

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"'Abbadon' means destroyer: it is a derivitave of the greek Apolyion."

That's "Abaddon". And "Apollyon".

And there's nothing "noncanon" about that character's biblical appearance. Unless your religion uses a different bible from all the other Christians.

"They have as king over them the angel of the bottomless pit; his name in Hebrew is Abaddon, and in Greek he is called Apollyon."
-Revelation 9:11

TheWoozle
Member # 929

- posted      Profile for TheWoozle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Heh, Abbadon isn't really bad, he's just good disadvantaged.

--------------------
joH'a' 'oH wIj DevwI' jIH DIchDaq Hutlh pagh
(some days it's just not worth chewing through the leather straps in the morning)
The Woozle!

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

That, and he can't spell his own name.
Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh great, it's finished. And it looks great.

Finally a place where I can send all the people asking for something like that.

And I don't mind at all that the Trek ships are so small. Size doesn't matter!

--------------------
Bernd Schneider

MrNeutron
Member # 524

- posted      Profile for MrNeutron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sol System:
V'Ger is big.

I just wrote back to the guy who made that page with the size comaprisons. Seems like a Nice fellow.

I ended up discussing with him how he arrived atV'ger's dimensions. He said he made the drawing himself based on various sources. I pointed him to the V'ger plans that appeared in the Phase II book (which are mislabeled as early concept, but clearly are Syd Mead drawings -- and while not finished, I think represent the dimensions of the object).

When I compared the Enterprise to one feature that it's seen flying over that can be matched to the plan drawing, then V'ger ends up being almost 245 km long...something like 2.5 times the size listed on that webpage. Big mutha!

--------------------
"Well, I mean, it's generally understood that, of all of the people in the world, Mike Nelson is the best." -- ULTRA MAGNUS, steadfast in curmudgeon

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

The Falcon and AT AT seem a bit small too.
I'm using several of his pics to Photoshop-up an expanded Trek scale scart poster for a friend.

...and regarding Abbadon: No, that's not canon in my "bible" and the Roman Church has tried to excise "Revalations" several times in the past.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

"Abaddon".
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

If you say so.
...now back to the thread's topic:
What do you guys think of the Robotech stuff on that site? Purdy odd.
I don't agree with the scale on the ID4 mothership, but there is pretty convincing argument in his "notes" section.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

MrNeutron
Member # 524

quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:
http://members.fortunecity.com/zardalu/index.html

Check it out cats and kittens!

I just noticed a few things...

He's got the Last Starfighter Gunstar's length at 98 KILOMETERS! haha But the drawing of it he has is 20m long.

A few other confusions...he uses "length" for the fore-aft dimension of most objects, but in a few cases he uses it for height (notably the Star Wars AT-AT and himself).

--------------------

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps