Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Sovereign - Expeditionary Warfighter? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Sovereign - Expeditionary Warfighter?
Endeavour3d
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
expeditionary warfighter (for lack of a better term)
the official class for the Sovereign is Heavy Deterrence Explorer, I.E. BattleCruiser [Wink]
IP: Logged
Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sez who?

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Shipbuilder
Member # 69

- posted      Profile for Shipbuilder     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, where is that at "officially"?

And Styro...I failed to mention the iso(kinetic?) bazookas from Insurrection. The actual DS9TM blurb was regarding the new pulse phaser based rifles, but it mentions the Sovereign having new equipment requirements. I'm not sure what else she's packing.

[ January 03, 2003, 22:21: Message edited by: Shipbuilder ]

OnToMars
Now on to the making of films!
Member # 621

- posted      Profile for OnToMars     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Runabii?

--------------------
If God didn't want us to fly, he wouldn't have given us Bernoulli's Principle.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MinutiaeMan:
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:
I meant Ventral aft. No torpedo coverage down there.
It's really the same firing arc as the Connie refit from that angle.
I'd add (if I were to follow the Soverign's lead) a micro-launcher facing aft near the tractor beam emitter. [Wink]

There already IS a dual torpedo launcher, identical to the forward launcher just under the deflector dish, mounted right at the bottom of the secondary hull. That's not a tractor beam emitter...
I was talking about the Galaxy, not the Soverign.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Endeavour3d
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm sorry, I typed it wrong, I mean't Enhanced Deterrence Explorer. Many sources online (do a Google search) has the Sovereign listed as an Enhanced Deterrence Explorer. Whether this is canon or not is up for debate...
IP: Logged
capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
actually its not up for debate at all.. fanboy websites are not canon, no debate needed. there is no ship type or mission profile listed for the sovereign class in any of the filmed appearances, the scripts, the background preproduction sketches, or the creators licensed material such as encylopediae or TMs.

so there's no debate, the websites are definitely wrong.

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Shipbuilder
Member # 69

- posted      Profile for Shipbuilder     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's not open for debate at all. Only when Paramount puts an official stamp on it, THEN it becomes open for debate [Wink]

Seriously though, to save you the flogging that somebody is probably cooking up...unless its mentioned onscreen or in either of the TMs (or maybe the new tech supplements) I don't think anybody considers it canon.

Dang, Captain beat me to it....oh well I'll keep it up to second your motion.

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If I had to take a stab (shiv handy!), I'd opine that the Sovereign-class might be a "rapid response explorer."

When the Galaxy was designed, it was postulated that the ships would be embarked on 5-, 10-, or possibly even 20-year deep-range exploration missions--thus their sizes & facilities. But what did they end up doing? Running around, back & forth across the Federation on various crisis missions & exploding.

Obviously, there are situations that require a large modern vessel to handle the crisis du jour, but why tie up this huge assets? So we create the Sovereign, which has all of the same assets as the Galaxy if not slightly more, but minus the extranea--the familes, the vast amounts of scientific facilites dedicated to the 11-level branches of things; who really needs a xeno-ornithology lab anyway? Now we have a ship that can do these emergency situation runs & not have to worry about putting so many & so much at risk.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think the Soverign is the product of a less niave STarfleet made for alll the same purposes as the Galaxy class.
Hey Shik, got any new models? I'd love to see somebody make a cutaway of your latest efforts.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
oh look the webmaster of http://www.geocities.com/stargazer2893a/ has finally clarified the matter.. and look, an official registry!
 -

[ January 04, 2003, 11:55: Message edited by: CaptainMike ]

Matrix
AMEAN McAvoy
Member # 376

- posted      Profile for Matrix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, my, my, three phaser arrays on the top huh? Makes that all the more canon.

Shik is partially correct. The Galaxy class was designed to have these long missions in deep space where they won't be in contact with little to no Federation planets, outposts and friendly ships. So she carries families and with alot of luxuries that most ships don't have. However throughout the 7 years of TNG, we don't see the Enterprise being sent out on those long missions, but going through a settling many internal issues.

My guess is that the Sovereign was designed to settle these issues so that the real exploring can be done. The Sovereign apprears to be more heavily armed than the Galaxy class. But then again, could the Sovereign class do the same missions as the Galaxy class? Perhaps. With the same efficiency? Maybe, but on screen evidence proves that Starfleet would rather send these ships on 'police patrols' than exploring.

MrNeutron
Member # 524

- posted      Profile for MrNeutron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The discussion of mission types re the Galaxy and Sovereign classes got me thinking about how the shows tend to fall back on the familiar instead of having the Enterprise doing it's exploring strange new worlds gig.

Regarding the Galaxy class being designed for long deep-space missions, I recall that when TNG came on, within a half-season I was rolling my eyes. In the pilot they went to Daneb IV, "beyond which lies the vast unexplored mass of the galaxy", and, apparently turned right around and started crusing known space instead. It was stupidly reinforced when at the end of every other episode they were heading for starbase this and starbase that. If the writers had been on the ball they could have been heading into some new place at the end of each episode, and even if the stories we saw weren't always out in the frontier, the implication would be the ship was always out exploring between episodes.

I think it's obvious that the Sovereign was -- as all the ships are, really -- designed to look cool without really giving much consideration to what would have to go in it and how it would do its (unstated) mission profile. That was the case with the D too. Originally it was only going to be Excelsior length, but Probert convinced Roddenberry to make it HUGE. Why? Not for practical reasons. Cause it would be more impressive for it to be a giant compared to the old ship, I guess.

--------------------
"Well, I mean, it's generally understood that, of all of the people in the world, Mike Nelson is the best." -- ULTRA MAGNUS, steadfast in curmudgeon

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Why? Not for practical reasons. Cause it would be more impressive for it to be a giant compared to the old ship, I guess."

If you had to prepare an extended range mission of exploration deep into uncharted territory, would you select an aged, cramped, and ill-equipped Excelsior to fulfill the mission requirements, or the largest, most powerful starship ever constructed (up to that point), specifically geared towards the mission parameters and with the ability to show the flag if necessary?

In these cases, size DOES matter.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I Have been worknig with my friends in the Core of Enginers to create a exaustive database of all Federation starships. We have decided to focus on the most important ship, those which have Borg killing power which is necessary to survive because the Borg are the biggest threat
We are the crew of the U.S.S. Soveregn, NCC-77700, which has been refit with new technology to fight Borg and Dominion threats.

Hoax, yes? Yes? Please?
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps