Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Sovereign - Expeditionary Warfighter? (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Sovereign - Expeditionary Warfighter?
MrNeutron
Member # 524

- posted      Profile for MrNeutron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by E. Cartman:
If you had to prepare an extended range mission of exploration deep into uncharted territory, would you select an aged, cramped, and ill-equipped Excelsior to fulfill the mission requirements, or the largest, most powerful starship ever constructed (up to that point), specifically geared towards the mission parameters and with the ability to show the flag if necessary?

In these cases, size DOES matter.

I wasn't implying that you wouldn't. My point is that, in general, the people making the show are after wow factor, not thinking about mission requirements and other practicalities.

--------------------
"Well, I mean, it's generally understood that, of all of the people in the world, Mike Nelson is the best." -- ULTRA MAGNUS, steadfast in curmudgeon

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The captain of the Soverign is twelve years old?
See? They still have families and kids on the new ships after all!
....though, I'd let that CMO play doctor with me anytime! [Big Grin]

I think the Enterprise D's mission profile must have changed after first or second season when it suddenly became "the flagship of the fleet".
That's when the exploring really goes out the airlock and the constant troubleshooting begins.
Mabye other Galaxy class ships got to have all the real fun and first contact situations while the flagship debated rights for sentient sand and nanites and exocomps and holograms and borg drones and....

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:
The captain of the Soverign is twelve years old?
See? They still have families and kids on the new ships after all!
....though, I'd let that CMO play doctor with me anytime! [Big Grin]

sicksicksicksicksicksick

i like shipz

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by CaptainMike:
there is no ship type or mission profile listed for the sovereign class in any of the filmed appearances, the scripts, the background preproduction sketches, or the creators licensed material such as encylopediae or TMs.

Actually, there is the semi-official cutaway poster from "First Contact" times with the Paramount log on it and Eaves, Zimmerman, Okuda, and Drexler all credited as contributors. That poster pegs the ship as an "Explorer Type II."

And before you jump on me, I know it's not solid canon by any means. But it's the closest indication of its type that I'm aware of, that has a Paramount logo pasted on it.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
USS Violator. Oy.

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The_Tom:
USS Violator. Oy.

Whynot just name the ship "USS Ass-Rape" while we're at it.
Just about as likely for a ship name. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Captain Dave Gahan? First Officer Martin L. Gore?

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

...in a movie directed by Joel Schumaker.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Idiot. I was making a Depeche Mode reference.

I'm really that old now.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

There's a difference?
Sorry gramps, I missed your reference this time. [Roll Eyes]
...now it it was the "USS Ultra" I might have got it! [Big Grin]

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
that was a lot more clever than i ever could have given you credit for.
OnToMars
Now on to the making of films!
Member # 621

- posted      Profile for OnToMars     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Runabii?

--------------------
If God didn't want us to fly, he wouldn't have given us Bernoulli's Principle.

Shik
Member # 343

Yes, runabi. Plural of "runabout."

--------------------

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As said by really really cool people.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps