Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » The ship of a thousand faces... (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: The ship of a thousand faces...
The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
...Well, maybe not that many, but certainly a few. I'm referring to the Niagara-class. (And now I can tell what you're all thinking: "Oh good, he's brought up Wolf 359 again!" [Roll Eyes] )

In recently speaking with Bernd and going through both his and Masaki Taniko's pages dedicated to this ship and looking at all the pictures of the model that we now posess, it is clear that rather than being LESS fucked up in proportion than the original Fact Files schematics suggested, the true appearance of the ship is in fact even MORE bizarre. The nacelles, having been taken from the 4-foot Galaxy model, positively dwarf the Ambassador hull and modified 2-foot Galaxy saucer.

To illustrate, Here are several images that Masaki did, showing possible details of the ship's configuration. (There are many variant designs because we'll never "really" know what the shuttlebay area looked like since the whole ass end was blown off of the model, and since we've never seen a good side view we don't know just how much neck the ship actually had.)

-
 -
 -
 -
 -
 -

Isn't she PRETTY?

Which is the "true" face of this vessel? Options A and B appear to be the most accurate, depending upon how much "neck" the ship has. Of all the possible aft configurations, this one seems most likely because the hull was taken from an Ambassador.

Just thought this might interest somebody, as the truly correct proportions still haven't been widely published. (Bernd hasn't even shown the ship like this on his site---I assume this is because IT'S TOO DAMN UGLY!)

-MMoM [Big Grin]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, after about ten minutes of staring at these, it's starting to look a little more tolerable. I wonder if someone might undertake to draw a top and front view, so we can see a little better...
Guardian 2000
Member # 743

- posted      Profile for Guardian 2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
{Looks}

{Looks again}

{Stares for several minutes}

Eh, sorry Mim, but I'm reading a negative on the "tolerable" status. [Big Grin]

Yucch.

--------------------
. . . ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam.

G2k's ST v. SW Tech Assessment

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Crap. Somebody on ebay sells a great wood model of the Niagra, but of course, it is'nt currently listed.
I have the pic if anybody can host it.
I even thoought of adding one of these beasts to my fleet after seeing the wooden model......I do like the ship's saucer.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Need to upload an image, zip file, or text / HTML document? Check out Flare Upload!
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks CaptainMike!
http://lobotomy.pleh.net/~flareupload/uploads/882/woodstartrek013.jpg
That's the completed ship lookin good. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One thing I will never understand is why everyone still sees a fin as the lower nacelle pylon, when the pictures clearly show a much thicker, wider, rounded piece, reminiscent of the Buran's submarine conning tower pylon, only upside-down.

Also, from looking at the photos, it seems that the lower nacelle is more forward than the upper two nacelles. Is anyone else seeing any of this, or is it just me?

--------------------
"A film made in 2008 isn't going to look like a TV series from 1966 if it wants to make any money. As long as the characters act the same way, and the spirit of the story remains the same then it's "real" Star Trek. Everything else is window dressing." -StCoop

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with Dukhat... I think that nacelle is a little bit offset from the two upper ones. It might actually *help* to make the ship look slightly more "balanced," too -- IMO.

The Niagra has never been my favorite ship, but as some of the details have been discovered I've started to like it a bit more... in a weird sort of way, the oversized engineering hull actually looks interesting to me.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

SoundEffect
Member # 926

- posted      Profile for SoundEffect     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I too see a large stump holding the lower nacelle in place, rather than the depicted fin.

Also, from the DVD images, there's a shot that shows the back of the ship. The saucer appears to be in direct contact with the secondary hull, which means there's no impulse engine in the usual location. It also means I can't find an impulse engine on the Niagara Class at all!

--------------------
Stephen L.
-Maritime Science Fiction Modelers-

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
Member # 646

Have we seen this rear pic? It doesn't sound familiar. Could you do a cap?
Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I still see a lower pylon just like the upper ones. However, it seems we have to question most of our previous findings.

1. The saucer is (unfortunately) half as large as it should be relative to the nacelles. There is only one explanation: The saucer is from the 2ft Enterprise-D model, the nacelles are from the 4ft model.

2. The lower nacelle seems to be slightly moved forward indeed.

3. I believe to see a rounded bottom of the engineering hull, just as in the Fact Files.
http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/articles/wolf359/niagara-starboard.jpg
It wouldn't be necessarily visible from this angle, but there is a curvature like that further up too.

Here is what I think the Niagara looks like:
http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/temp/niagara_jan03.jpg

--------------------
Bernd Schneider

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
Member # 646

quote:
Originally posted by Dukhat:
One thing I will never understand is why everyone still sees a fin as the lower nacelle pylon, when the pictures clearly show a much thicker, wider, rounded piece, reminiscent of the Buran's submarine conning tower pylon, only upside-down.

Also, from looking at the photos, it seems that the lower nacelle is more forward than the upper two nacelles. Is anyone else seeing any of this, or is it just me?

To my knowledge, this is the only image which shows anything of the lower pylon, and it doesn't look especially thick to me. Masaki seems to have it shaped fairly properly.

-MMoM [Big Grin]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
Member # 646

Bernd posted just as I did. [Cool]

I have to disagree with his interpretation of the shuttlebay area and secondary hull, though. The only reason it seems so short is because it was torn off. Since the hull is that of an Ambassador, I find it logical to assume that before the area was damaged, the structure was the same as the Ambassador's. (This is, after all, exactly what happened with the actual model.) And I doubt Jein would have troubled to "round out" the bottom of the hull rather than just leave it as it was.

-MMoM [Big Grin]

--------------------

J
Member # 608

- posted      Profile for J     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow... that ship is really starting to grow on me... Take off the third nacelle on that wooden model and you have a perfectly good looking ship... amazing!

--------------------
Later, J
_ _ _ _ _ ___ _ _ _ _ _
The Last Person to post in the late Voyager Forum. Bashing both Voyager, Enterprise, and "The Bun" in one glorious post.

[email protected]
http://webj.cjb.net

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, if the aft end was simply blown away, we don't need to assume that the shuttlebay is the same as on the Ambassador. A good reason to assume a longer tail is so that the pylons don't run thorugh the shuttlebay.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps