Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » The ship of a thousand faces... (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: The ship of a thousand faces...
SoundEffect
Member # 926

- posted      Profile for SoundEffect     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is from Bernd's site. It appears as though the back of the saucer is sitting directly against the hull:

http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/articles/wolf359/niagara-dorsal.jpg

If you look at the reverse-color photo on the right, the aft end of the lower pylon appears fairly thin, but the front of this pylon is remarkably thicker:

http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/articles/wolf359/niagara-analysis_2002.jpg

Could the lower pylon actually be about half of a reversed Ambassador neck?? Looks like the right shape, where it melds with the raised detail from the warp nacelle. The neck ribs could potentially be there, but the quality of the photo is not good.

--------------------
Stephen L.
-Maritime Science Fiction Modelers-

Guardian 2000
Member # 743

- posted      Profile for Guardian 2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by SoundEffect:
This is from Bernd's site. It appears as though the back of the saucer is sitting directly against the hull:

http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/articles/wolf359/niagara-dorsal.jpg

That looks like there's a wide, short neck connecting the saucer to the engineering hull across the entire saucer rim. (Thus, it would be an upside-down U shape.)

None of the pics from the first post show that.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you just lose that third nacelle and give it Ambassador styled nacelles it looks really keen.
(and we've really never seen anything from the Ambassador's imeadiate time frame that I've seen)
Mabye the NIagra and Princton were testbeds for new technology and don'r represent a larger class of ships.....the Niagra may have only two nacelles!
One can only hope. (the ST Magazine article on the Niagra was sure no help)

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bernd:
Well, if the aft end was simply blown away, we don't need to assume that the shuttlebay is the same as on the Ambassador. A good reason to assume a longer tail is so that the pylons don't run thorugh the shuttlebay.

But the longer tail *is* the Ambassador's. You've postulated a shorter aft end in your proposed version. [Razz]

-MMoM [Big Grin]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And just what the hell is people's problem with three nacelles? If they weren't so frickin' huge compared to the rest of the ship, I think the two above + one below layout makes for a nice balanced look. [Confused]

I attribute it to psychological conditioning brought about by years of listening to Roddenberry's bullshit anti-Franz Joseph propaganda about only having even numbers of nacelles. [Roll Eyes]

-MMoM [Big Grin]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I haven't been fond of most fan concepts of three-nacelled ships, but I do think that the canon ones we've seen on screen look pretty decent. (Oh, and FJ's Federation-class, too. Despite the weirdness of one of the nacelles mounted on the saucer, I do like it.)

The current diagrams we've seen on the Niagra don't do the ship justice, IMO. I remember that Mark R. did a model of the ship a while back -- even though it had to do a little extrapolation, I think it looks great.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Sarvek
Member # 910

- posted      Profile for Sarvek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, I am quite fond of the triple nacelled starships when they are arranged the correct way. FJ Federation Class Dreadnaught is one of my favorates as well as the Enterprise from " All Good Things ". The Niagara is another story, the nacelles should be reversed with one on top, preferably the saucer and two on the secondary hull. This would stay consistant with the Federation Class Dreadnought as well as the Enterprise from AGT. It would also be more balanced versuses the way shown on the Niagara.
The Mighty Monkey of Mim
Member # 646

quote:
Originally posted by Sarvek:
Actually, I am quite fond of the triple nacelled starships when they are arranged the correct way. FJ Federation Class Dreadnaught is one of my favorates as well as the Enterprise from " All Good Things ". The Niagara is another story, the nacelles should be reversed with one on top, preferably the saucer and two on the secondary hull. This would stay consistant with the Federation Class Dreadnought as well as the Enterprise from AGT. It would also be more balanced versuses the way shown on the Niagara.

Respectfully, I disagree. I think the spreading out of the nacelles into the planes both above and below the main hull is much better than having all three in one position, above or below.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps