Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Starship Malfunctions (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Starship Malfunctions
Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We didn't see Main Engineering much in Nemesis did we?

What about the torpedo guidance system malfucntion in that TNG episode where everyone de-evolved? What about that time when the Defiant lost power when Eddington prevented the ship from finding him? What about when Voyager had that thing from the nebula that took over the ship and tried to kill Janeway?

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."
-Gene Roddenberry about Star Trek

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The giggling computer in "Tomorrow Is Yesterday."

Best. Malfunction. Ever.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And please shut down the holodeck after you leave. It might become sentient.

The TNGTM also has some 'fun' malfunctions. SIF and IDF malfunctions are nasty. You could be more inventive and have 'less important' things like the waste recycling system malfunctioning... imagine the mess that would cause.

Or what about a Kursk-style torpedo failure. Or the navigational deflector giving up on you (I'd guess you'd have to raise shields or something). What would happen if the mass reduction coils of the impulse systems malfunctioned?

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"I've never trusted tribbles.. and I never will.. I can never forgive them.. for my chicken salad sandwich."
Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Shipbuilder:
There probably isn't a way to do that manually, that'd be alittle dangerous. .

Understatement of the year?

--------------------
"I am an almost extinct breed, an old-fashioned gentleman, which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-bitch when it suits me." --Jubal Harshaw

Kalax
Member # 723

- posted      Profile for Kalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As for what I'm looking for, is general internal technolgical malfunctions, things that could go wrong due to lack of maintance. Nothin due to foul play.
Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, in that case, none that i know of, 'cause they do maintain their ships, shuttles, stations, and general equipment. I could say Transwarp drive, but that really wasn't because of lack of maintenance. It just wasn't feasible at that point in time.

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

David Templar
Saint of Rabid Pikachu
Member # 580

- posted      Profile for David Templar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What about the M-5 in "The Ultimate Computer"? The thing went psycho and killed a whole bunch of people. Yeah, I'd call that a malfunction.

DS9 was one giant malfunction floating in space until the later seasons.

--------------------
"God's in his heaven. All's right with the world."

Da_bang80
A few sectors short of an Empire
Member # 528

- posted      Profile for Da_bang80     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do you want large potentially dangerous malfuntions? "Uh, we better fix that before we die..."

Or more mundane "*BASH BASH* Stupid Replicator! Why won't you work!? *BASH BASH*"

If you had some time, a list of scientifical words, and some more time you could think of alot of imaginary malfuntions. like: "The Isolinear control chip failed, causing the the Warp Field De-Inhibitor to reverse polarity and stall the ship in deep space." Something like that...

BTW the Millenium Falcon was also a floating malfuntion. Cept a little droid will always save your ass when running away from a Super Star Destroyer. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change.
The courage to change the things I cannot accept.
And the wisdom to hide the bodies of all the people I had to kill today because they pissed me off.

Remember when your parents told you it's dangerous to play in traffic?

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
The giggling computer in "Tomorrow Is Yesterday."
The programmers intended that as a feature, though, not a bug.
Kalax
Member # 723

- posted      Profile for Kalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was accualy looking for everyday wear and tear stuff, like blown relay or mis aligned whatever, howeverm I'm thinking I can get away with technobabble. Another thing, something I think is a tad bit easier, is examples of tools and what they were used for if anyone remebers.
QuinnTV
Member # 859

- posted      Profile for QuinnTV     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kalax:
As for what I'm looking for, is general internal technolgical malfunctions, things that could go wrong due to lack of maintance. Nothin due to foul play.

On the reverse side, I'd like to offer the bit of tech that *never* failed: the engineering isolation door.

Geordi always had a reason to stop, drop and roll!

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The E-D did have two Engineering isolation doors. The inner one that sealed off the waro core, and the big one that sealed off the core and the inner stations such as the one where Geordi always worked from. The E-A had the big isolation door and the Defiant had one that sealed Engineering off from the upper deck. Voyager never had one, but it did have the main door that could be sealed off from the rest of the deck. The E-nil refit and the Reliant also had isolation doors... a big one that looks like it cuts through the Power/Plasma Transfer Conduits and a smaller one which seals Engineering off from the rest of the deck.

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by David Templar:
What about the M-5 in "The Ultimate Computer"? The thing went psycho and killed a whole bunch of people. Yeah, I'd call that a malfunction.

DS9 was one giant malfunction floating in space until the later seasons.

I *SO* Disagree with you.

DS9 season 1 and 2 was fantabulous! I guess a lot can't appreciate stories and characters instead of shoot-em-ups. I guess that's why we got Voyager and Enterprise.

There was the TNG malfunction where Geordi was in the transport tube - and got flung all about.

There was that malfunction with all the systems turning to goo.

The crew malfunctioned in The Naked Time and the Naked Now!

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Excelsior malfunctioned... thanks to Mr. Scott in TSFS.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps