Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Starship Malfunctions (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Starship Malfunctions
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"DS9 was one giant malfunction floating in space until the later seasons."

"I *SO* Disagree with you.

"DS9 season 1 and 2 was fantabulous! I guess a lot can't appreciate stories and characters instead of shoot-em-ups. I guess that's why we got Voyager and Enterprise."

What has any of that got to do w/ the fact that the station was in a constant state of disrepair during the early seasons?

Revanche
Member # 953

- posted      Profile for Revanche     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by AndrewR:
quote:
Originally posted by David Templar:
What about the M-5 in "The Ultimate Computer"? The thing went psycho and killed a whole bunch of people. Yeah, I'd call that a malfunction.

DS9 was one giant malfunction floating in space until the later seasons.

I *SO* Disagree with you.

DS9 season 1 and 2 was fantabulous! I guess a lot can't appreciate stories and characters instead of shoot-em-ups. I guess that's why we got Voyager and Enterprise.

Maybe I'm being naive, but I think D. Templar intended to refer to the constant mechanical errors that Chief O'Brien had to constantly contend with, up until the major upgrade by Starfleet.

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LOL! Yes, I see that now! LOL!

I thought it was a pay-out on DS9 season 1 and 2!! [Smile]

Agreed about the state of DS9 in 2269-2270. It never really had any major malfunctions though, did it. I guess it did in "The Forsaken" - with "pup".

Oh I forgot on TNG - there was 'Disaster'.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

TheWoozle
Member # 929

- posted      Profile for TheWoozle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Star Trek in general has more shuttle acidents and transporter failures then we have air plane disasters today.

--------------------
joH'a' 'oH wIj DevwI' jIH DIchDaq Hutlh pagh
(some days it's just not worth chewing through the leather straps in the morning)
The Woozle!

Revanche
Member # 953

- posted      Profile for Revanche     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Except maybe in the last 72 hours (N. Carolina, Turkey, Peru).
The tired and thirsty prospector threw himself down at the edge of the watering hole and started to drink. But then he looked around and saw skulls and bones everywhere. "Uh-oh," he thought. "This watering hole is reserved for skeletons."
- Jack Handey

J
Member # 608

- posted      Profile for J     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a listing a tools on my old website, it's still up I don't know why... I haven't even checked it in forever, I usually check it for errors every now and then but I haven't had the time... any way the URL is http://www.subspacelink.com/~jsharp/FEC/index.html the tools are in the database/bank under the Tools button

PS: no one point out errors to me, I don't have the time to fix them if you did.

As for malfunctions you are wanting to know about. I know for certain that sensors will go out of alignment just from simple use, thus the reason they need to be adjusted every now and then--- if this is true for external sensors then you can assume this is true for the sensors that watch the magnetic containment of the warp core and the antimatter pods-- very bad things if those readings are off. You can't run the warp drive without some type of over sight, simply running on autopilot forever will destroy the ship no matter what speed [even if you had infinite fuel, eventually the engines will over heat (either the nacelles {which could be the injectors or the coils}, core, or the PTCS, take your pick) or some type of alignment problem will spring up]. You have to watch the hull according to the TNG TM, even with the deflector some things will get by [the deflector isn't in use when you aren't moving anyway]. And isn't it a function of how much power the regulators are letting the gravity generators get that determines how much gravity they produce [wasn't that a mouth full?], if those regulators aren't checked regularly then they might fail and the gravity generators will get too much power and produce too much gravity. --- And it appears that anything can make the replicators go bad [and I'm sure because you're messing with so many laws in the universe] so they need to be checked regularly or your coffee might end up being poison.

--------------------
Later, J
_ _ _ _ _ ___ _ _ _ _ _
The Last Person to post in the late Voyager Forum. Bashing both Voyager, Enterprise, and "The Bun" in one glorious post.

[email protected]
http://webj.cjb.net

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dat:
I could say Transwarp drive, but that really wasn't because of lack of maintenance. It just wasn't feasible at that point in time.

As Andrew pointed out, that was due to Scotty. If you mean in general, then, well, we have no idea why it failed, or even if it failed.(There's always a chance that "Transwarp" in that context just referred to "faster warp", and they got it working and just decided to keep calling it warp.) So, really, buh.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Guardian 2000
Member # 743

- posted      Profile for Guardian 2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Should we count Voyager's attempt to use slipstream drive from "Timeless"? That whole crash thing (er, pardon me, "uncontrolled descent from low planetary orbit") is also quite possibly the worst malfunction outcome we've seen that wasn't related to a core breach.

(Speaking of which, the ship crunched down on her antimatter pods, lower reactor, et cetera . . . and didn't blow. Wha?)

quote:
Originally posted by CaptainMike:
"I've never trusted tribbles.. and I never will.. I can never forgive them.. for my chicken salad sandwich."

I hate you. Dr. Pepper is not designed to exit one's nose.

--------------------
. . . ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam.

G2k's ST v. SW Tech Assessment

MrNeutron
Member # 524

- posted      Profile for MrNeutron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PsyLiam:
quote:
Originally posted by Dat:
I could say Transwarp drive, but that really wasn't because of lack of maintenance. It just wasn't feasible at that point in time.

As Andrew pointed out, that was due to Scotty. If you mean in general, then, well, we have no idea why it failed, or even if it failed.(There's always a chance that "Transwarp" in that context just referred to "faster warp", and they got it working and just decided to keep calling it warp.) So, really, buh.
I've often wondered if the Transwarp was when the warp scale changed. The drive was some kind of improvement and significant speed increase, hence the new scale.

--------------------
"Well, I mean, it's generally understood that, of all of the people in the world, Mike Nelson is the best." -- ULTRA MAGNUS, steadfast in curmudgeon

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I seem to remember from my boyhood days the 2 prevailing theories of transwarp, that either it was a sort of controlled type of the spatial interphase that caught Kirk & the Defiant from "The Tholian Web" (Shane Johnson, "Mr. Scott's Guide") or that it involved massive transporter machinery in the nacelles to "capture the warp envelope & beam it ahead of the ship." (FASA)

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Styrofoaman
Member # 706

- posted      Profile for Styrofoaman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Shik:
...or that it involved massive transporter machinery in the nacelles to "capture the warp envelope & beam it ahead of the ship." (FASA)

Gaaaah! That's just sooooo damn silly it makes my head hurt! [Big Grin]

Another one involved "controled wormhole effect." That was listed in the Starfleet Dyanmics book.

--------------------
Like A Bat Out Of Hell...

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps