Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Sternbach Speaks! (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Sternbach Speaks!
Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Uh oh..?

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Charles Capps
We appreciate your concern.
It is noted and stupid.
Member # 9

- posted      Profile for Charles Capps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I assume that you refer to ...
quote:
I don't believe we're going to see any more manuals or blueprints from Pocket Books ever again.

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like the way a lot of the questions are actually asked by startrekuk staff, and are ones that anyone here could have told them were on things Sternbach was unlikely to know anything about. I mean, they get a chance like this and they blow it. Don't hold your breath for the next installment of this regular "Ask Rick" feature! Christ, why can't we get someone of his stature here where some sensible questions might get asked?

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I believe Braga said something about ENTERPRISE stories no longer needing to rely on technological solutions; I would point out that a show like CSI does that quite well each week, and manages to get much better ratings.
Ouch.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*snort*

Notice how all of the sensible staff people gradually left the series after the end of DS9 and Voyager, and all of the yes-men seemed to stick around? There are a few good people left; and after reading Bernd's article including his discussions with Doug Drexler I certainly have a bit more respect for his design of the NX-01 within the constraints placed upon him...

But come on! Star Trek is a tech show, and the writers are ignoring the technical advisors! There's something seriously wrong with that setup...

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe. If I'm going to try and give Berman some credit here (whether he deserves it or not), I think he probably meant that they were trying to get away from the week's Major Problem being solved by "reversing the tachyon stream through the polaric gate".

Of course, whether they've done that is another matter entirely.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They haven't.

Regardless what you describe isn't relying on technical solutions to save the day, it's resorting to scientifically implausible gibberish to compensate for a lack of imagination.

Good use of real science is all about technological restrictions more than technological capabilities. Any old monkey can make up a devise that magically solves all the problems.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok I was going to say Berman/Braga/Pocket Books are morons - but no - does anyone think this has all come about due to the take-over/merger of Paramount with Viacom a few years ago?

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not really... there is no one to put limits and enforce Trek science anymore. Gene is dead... and I don't think Berman wants to run Star Trek like Gene did.

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."
-Gene Roddenberry about Star Trek

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why are they asking him stuff he doesn't know about. He doesn't design Okudagrams, he didn't design ships for Nemesis... did they even know who he was?

So.. no more interesting books, no more magazines, a movie that doesn't seem to be doing so great, not to mention a series that has problems..

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For any other franchise, that'd be epitaph material.
Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Problem is, no-one wants to be the one to pull the plug. Hindsight is a wonderful thing, and it's often been used to damn the 1969 Paramount/Desilu/Whoever execs who cancelled Star Trek in 1969. To this day, the surviving suits remain in hiding from a crack team of ninja dorks, who've sworn to exact vengeance.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"I guess Starfleet did a chop job on the ship and added a few more decks."

[Eek!] [Mad] [Confused]

Any comments on that?

--------------------
Bernd Schneider

SoundEffect
Member # 926

- posted      Profile for SoundEffect     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I took it as sarcasm. I'm guessing Sternbach is as pissed as us that the higher ups keep screwing up the simple, easy to find information and substituting in any old numbers and data that comes to mind.

--------------------
Stephen L.
-Maritime Science Fiction Modelers-

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This might just be me, but I didn't see anything different externally on the ship. What are people talking about that the ship was redesigned?

--------------------
"A film made in 2008 isn't going to look like a TV series from 1966 if it wants to make any money. As long as the characters act the same way, and the spirit of the story remains the same then it's "real" Star Trek. Everything else is window dressing." -StCoop

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps