Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Some thoughts (minor Nemesis spoilers) (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Some thoughts (minor Nemesis spoilers)
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by CaptainMike20X6:
David gets +1000 X2 POWARUP for being right.

but then again, on registries and NF, i remember nearly shitting myself trying to comprehend a Galaxy-class Triton with the reg NCC-31347.. but i imagine they might still re-envision it as an Ambassador and the GCS reference David wrote was erroneous.

but i'm feeling much better now

It's far more like, Peter david knows shit about the starships his characters are on and really wings it. Reading his early NF books, I got the impression several times that he was referring to a Constalation class and not an Ambassador class.
....and there is never mentin of any crew outside his seven or eight central characters.
No crew evals, no other departments needing anything or dong anything...zip.
And the idea of the new USS Excalibur being a "hot rod" version Galaxy with " a few suprises in her" makes me want to puke.
Total fanboy nonsense atthis point.
Stick with the DS9 books....hell, even the "Homecoming" books for Voyager were pretty good (if very unlikely and directly infuenced by today's america).

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
um.. actualy, besides thefact that he waffles back and forth on fanboyish tech details (like changing the modifications of his ship randomly).. David's characters are getting to be such a big group he had to split them up on two ships.. NF now features the regular original NF cast, the Triton crew, and the Excalibur nightshift, some of whom ave moved on to the Triton, and now David has added Arex and M'Ress and the boy from Yakaba and Selar & Burgoynes kid.. this brings the ensemble up to over a dozen character, maybe almost two dozen
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was referring to the ten or so books prior to the (very good)Captain's Table book that introduced the nightshift characters.
It's odd that the secondary characters are col but the primary ones are getting lamer all the time.
I like the "nightshift" and like them in their new positions, but the stories are SO farfetched (even by TOS standards)as to spoil it for me.
Mabye david just needs a break or something.....

....and the idea of Lefler's mom being immortal and all that shit makes me sick. [Mad]
Can't any of his characters be just humans with no mystical danger senses (like Calhoun has), regenerative healing factors and body armor(like the security officer)or godlike powers (like his helmsman), claws fangs and super agility (like the first officer), immortality (like his science advisor), a Prince with a mysterious past (like his "ambassador") or some other damn inane thing?
Really, I enjoy Peter david's comic book stories (his run on Hulk was great) but STar Trek really does'nt need a superhero team on a starship.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps