Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » AeroShuttle Technology Engineering Report 4.1 (Sternbach's Final ST:Mag Tech Article) (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: AeroShuttle Technology Engineering Report 4.1 (Sternbach's Final ST:Mag Tech Article)
Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very cool. I've been looking for this magazine but haven't been able to find it yet. I love the launching picture they put together.

As for a hatch, you can clearly see an embarkation corridor on the port side of the docking bay. One would assume there is some kind of concealed hatch on that side of the craft.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In case some people weren't aware, the shot of the AeroShuttle launching from beneath the Voyager's saucer was not created specifically for the Mag but is unused footage done by Foundation Imaging for the episode "Relativity." (There was to be a scene at Utopia Planitia showing the test-launching of the AeroShuttle.) The Fact Files featured more of these (completed but not used) FX shots in their own article on the AeroShuttle some time ago.

You can see scans here:
http://nzcabac.future.easyspace.com/Federation/Shuttle/Aerowing03.htm

And Guardian of Forever also has higher-res scans of the same shots.

-MMoM [Big Grin]

SoundEffect
Member # 926

- posted      Profile for SoundEffect     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by AndrewR:
I also remember reading that about the Vor'cha. What was it from?
I think the bussard collectors were also another 'link'.

Andrew

The article about the Vor'cha being a joint Federation/Klingon design is from a Rick Sternbach interview printed in the old Starlog Star Trek Magazine Vol. 15 (pg 14-19) (Worf, K'Ehleyr and Alexander are on the cover)

--------------------
Stephen L.
-Maritime Science Fiction Modelers-

MrNeutron
Member # 524

- posted      Profile for MrNeutron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's kind of cool, but why oh why can't just ONCE the "wings" on one of these ships actually have an aerodynamic cross-section instead of being a flat slab? Sternbach oughta know better...

--------------------
"Well, I mean, it's generally understood that, of all of the people in the world, Mike Nelson is the best." -- ULTRA MAGNUS, steadfast in curmudgeon

Dax
Paradox
Member # 191

- posted      Profile for Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MrNeutron:
...instead of being a flat slab? Sternbach oughta know better...

Sternbach seems to like slabs. And people complain about Eaves.

--------------------
"I exist here."
- Sisko in "Emissary"
Dax's Ships of Star Trek

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Aban Rune:
As for a hatch, you can clearly see an embarkation corridor on the port side of the docking bay. One would assume there is some kind of concealed hatch on that side of the craft.

You can? Where?

All I can see is a (possible) vertical jefferies tube between the two white lights.
Which infact does line up with what could be a dorsal hatch on the Aerowing itself.

See here

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dax:
quote:
Originally posted by MrNeutron:
...instead of being a flat slab? Sternbach oughta know better...

Sternbach seems to like slabs. And people complain about Eaves.
Unless I'm mistaken, I don't think you can blame (or credit) Sternbach for this design. I believe this design was done independently by Foundation Imaging's Mojo, specifically for the test shots referenced by MIM.

B.J.

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is what I'm thinking I see:
 -

Now... Part of that indent is for the thruster nub on that side of the craft. You can see the cutout in the hull right below it. But it looks bigger than the nub to me. It looks like theres a door there.

I can also see the hole you're talking about on the ceiling of the bay. Coming in from the top, though, would seem a rather cumbersome way to access the ship. Especially if you're loading supplies.

I always wished that the access to the Sovvie's yacht had been better shown in Insurrection. It would have been very cool to get a clear picture of the top of the ship peeking up through the floor.

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Assuming my calculations are correct, that "door" would be about the same size as a Jeffries hatch, which is even more cumbersome than a vertical tube for loading cargo.
Plus the fact that there is no corresponding door on the Areowing itself I think we can rule out this feature as being a point of access.
More likely it is a docking clamp or just a guidance beacon.

However there dose appear to be a slightly larger hatch on the starboard side that could be a cargo bay hatch, so perhaps the embarkation ramp is on the starboard side and out of view.

Of course the most likely explanation is that the docking area model was never finished since it was only meant to be used as a proof of concept test footage.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

I see your point... that thruster assembly area isn't very tall....you'd have to crawl to get through it. Unless.... what if the cavity we're seeing is taller than the nub?

Anyway... you're most likely correct and there simply is no point of access on the Aerowing model or in the docking bay. Its unlikely they went to that much trouble just to do test footage.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps