Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » AeroShuttle Technology Engineering Report 4.1 (Sternbach's Final ST:Mag Tech Article) (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: AeroShuttle Technology Engineering Report 4.1 (Sternbach's Final ST:Mag Tech Article)
The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here it is, guys. The last of the line. [Frown]

http://www.cdeath.net/monkeyofmim/Aero1.jpg
http://www.cdeath.net/monkeyofmim/Aero2.jpg
http://www.cdeath.net/monkeyofmim/Aero3.jpg
http://www.cdeath.net/monkeyofmim/Aero4.jpg

That makes five:

As good as they were, I still say it was a mere tantalizing taste of what Sternbach could have done with a complete Voyager Technical Manual.

Enjoy!
-MMoM [Big Grin]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

TheWoozle
Member # 929

- posted      Profile for TheWoozle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Franchise is in a slump... I'm sure that they will print a few more heavely graphic books, like the recent map book. Never know, they might do a set of technical manuals, to go with the fairly well made TNG Enterprise D book.

--------------------
joH'a' 'oH wIj DevwI' jIH DIchDaq Hutlh pagh
(some days it's just not worth chewing through the leather straps in the morning)
The Woozle!

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A treat as always.
I especially liked the idea of a Starfleet Vor'cha and using such a huge ship to destroy a small shuttle.
Sort of like crash testing a motorbike using a Challenger Tank.
I also thought the mention of Voyager's Aero shuttle currently being overhauled.

One thing I haven't been able to work out it exacly where the crew is supposed to embark frrom the mothership. I assume that one or both those dark shapes on the underside are for when the landed ship is landed (perhaps one of them is a cargo lift) But I can't see any likely dorsal hatches.
Unless the crew climb down through a vertical jefferies tube of course.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why wouldn't they just go through the side hatches (like on the runabout)?

One of those bottom dark shapes could be a ramp a la KBOP in ST:IV?

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Which side doors would those be? The ones that aren't there or...the one's that aren't there?

Lift, ramp, whichever.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

SoundEffect
Member # 926

- posted      Profile for SoundEffect     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are two oval cargo hatches (of the same type found on Galaxy Classes) that may or may not be able to reach the ground. The most likely candidate comes from Sternbach's sketches showing the front landing leg of Voyager. The full size set, if they could've built it, would've had a ladder on the outboard side. So the crew would exit Voyager from the Landing Strut wells.

--------------------
Stephen L.
-Maritime Science Fiction Modelers-

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oops - sorry about the doors - I just assumed that it had them seeing as it was like the Runabout.

--------------------

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmmm... a Starfleet-crewed Vor'cha is an interesting idea. But also kinda strange considering that there were no hostilities between the Fed and the Empire before 2372. The only reason I can think of is that the Klingons donated or "sold" the ship to Starfleet... but that doesn't make sense, because even in the 24th century, military secrets clearly remain important.

Still, that's a cool idea.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It said "recovered" ... it could have been abandoned by the crew after a confrontation with the Cardassians or something.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But the Klingons, once they found out about it, would almost certainly still want it back. I'm sure the British would want one of their Challenger tanks back if it got abandoned for whatever reason in the middle of the Iraqi desert and was picked up by the US Marines...

[Wink]

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
...unless they never *did* find out about it... [Big Grin]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe the hulk was so badly damaged, that the Klingons didn't really care what happened to it. Any secrets might have been destroyed or whatever.

--------------------
"Lotta people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting."

-Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney, LeMans

SoundEffect
Member # 926

- posted      Profile for SoundEffect     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or it could've been part of a technology exchange. Sternbach, in an article printed when the Vor'cha was new stated that the Attack Cruiser was designed as a joint effort between the KDF and Starfleet. That's why there's a more Starfleet look to the ship than most other Klingon ships. Sternbach chose the color for the Vor'cha as a direct blend between the dark military green of the K'Tinga and the hull of the Galaxy Class to emphasize how the two powers were involved in the design.

--------------------
Stephen L.
-Maritime Science Fiction Modelers-

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I seem to remember the front section of the Vor'Cha being able to detach (aka saucer seperation) and be used for a kamikaze attack against a target.

--------------------
"Lotta people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting."

-Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney, LeMans

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

I also remember reading that about the Vor'cha. What was it from?
I think the bussard collectors were also another 'link'.

Andrew

--------------------

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps