Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Enterprise-A, primary hull cargo doors? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Enterprise-A, primary hull cargo doors?
Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wholly agree that E-A (and even E-nil TOS) could have had the same main cargo hold arrangement as the E-nil refit, just with physical doors in place of a forcefield. I just wanted to point out that this need not be the case, if we want to have fun with Main Engineering placement. Drexler's "Captain's Chair" cutaway of the TOS ship sort of suggests that Main Engineering (or at least the control area thereof) is somewhere close to the pylon stems...

I also like the idea of some of the surface features being transporter emitters. That IMHO is what those long black triangles on the TOS ship were, too (they are of far too silly a shape to be used as landing pads, like some insist). Preferably, the emitters would be non-opening features - so the yellow features are the best bet. The green ones could be torpedo gunports - the magenta ones are poorly positioned for firing forward, and the pads and airlocks are already established features.

The airlock vs. auxiliary control blood feud follows from SJ's insistence that auxiliary control be a two-level space. Note the ladderway down to "auxiliary fire control" in the drawings. Of course, this facility could be really, really small, or then located aft of the saucer axis instead of around it.

Timo Saloniemi

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I assumed before reading the entire code for the colours that the green and magenta panels are just panels of the hull that had been removed because the work bee was working on what ever was underneath - in drydock. They are they only two types that end between the grid lines. The other 'hatches' don't really follow the grid lines - occurring in the middle of or crossing over 'grid lines'.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Of course, it's still a bit uncertain whether those gridlines mark "panel" edges or, as the technobabble goes, deflector waveguides. Even within a single "panel" there's that Aztec pattern that may denote the real detachable units of surface plating. And the deflector waveguides might run across a hatch and move with it, although that's silly engineering if you ask me.

Timo Saloniemi

Griffworks
Member # 1014

- posted      Profile for Griffworks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Mighty Monkey of Mim: SNIP
[i]E. (Yellow)
These four are still a complete mystery, but could of course be ascribed any number of useful purposes. An interesting little theory of mine is that at least two of them may retract or drop down to reveal torpedo tubes, thus explaining the "TORP BAY 3" and "TORP BAY 4" signage seen in some of the battle sequence shots in TWOK. (For an interesting look at this tidbit, check out this article at Trekplace.com.)

Tho I can't find the specific reference, I seem to recall at least one - if not more - references to "E" above being landing leg hatches. The theory, IIRC, was that they would extend if the saucer was able to make a "soft landing" on a planetary surface, and instead of "skidding in" as the E-D saucer did in "Generations", would "touch down" using it's maneuvering thrusters. It's not in the Kimball "official" TMP set, nor in Shane Johnson's "Mr. Scott's Guide". My understanding is that the "Landing pads" ("B" above) was for use in stabilizing the ship after landing, tho it would make little sense to have two sets of equipment that do essentially the same job and take up critical space inside the space frame.... [Frown]

Anyhow, after thinking on it, I think it does make sense for the two "rectangular" areas on the upper primary hull to be some sort of cargo/machine access hatch for the impulse deck area. I wasn't exactly against it before, I think, but having put a lot of thought, it makes sense. I don't buy them being shuttlebay's, tho I do like the Andrew Probert sketch that shows a bay there.

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If some are legs... could some be ramps a la "The Voyage Home" Klingon BOP?

--------------------

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think it'd have to be a rather long ramp, since it'd be a couple 'decks' (floors) to the ground.

--------------------
"Lotta people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting."

-Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney, LeMans

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

It could be a slide like from an aeroplane - but the person would probably have burnt up from friction by the time he/she/it had gotten to the ground! [Smile]

Maybe their hatches for ion pods?

--------------------

SoundEffect
Member # 926

- posted      Profile for SoundEffect     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
According to the cutaway diagram from 'Scott's Guide', there is in fact a planetfall ramp located at the separation line between the saucer and the neck.

--------------------
Stephen L.
-Maritime Science Fiction Modelers-

Griffworks
Member # 1014

- posted      Profile for Griffworks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, Stephen! You beat me to it! It was also included in some of the older fan-produced TOS era ship stuff. Might even be in the FJ Constitution class set, but I'm too tired to try and look it up.
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

Could they be Work-bee launches?

--------------------

Griffworks
Member # 1014

I don't think so, at least not those two on the top of the primary hull, after of the VIP Lounge. Besides, there is a "Bee-Hive" in the shuttlebay, wherein I believe four each WorkBee's are stored on each side, for a total of eight. Might be three per side, but for some reason eight is stuck in my head.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps