Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » USS Garuda (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: USS Garuda
Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does anyone know what this is? I was recently scanning through the Startrek.com site under 'characters' and one was Lt. Cmdr. Syvar. He was described as a Vulcan and science officer of the Garuda who seems rather proficient at darts, but nothing else was mentioned about the ship on the site, nor have I noticed the ship in anyones list or on the search function in Flare. Here is the evidence I have since found:

It is from the DS9 episode "Shakaar", the following list-items were taken from the script:
  • SYVAR: "My apologies. I did not intend to alarm you. I am Lieutenant Commander Syvar, Science Officer of the Garuda."
    O'Brien stands up, rubbing his head.
    O'BRIEN: "It's all right. I'm Chief Miles O'Brien. What can I do for you, sir?"
    SYVAR: "I understand you are quite proficient
    at the human game known as 'darts'." (Later we find out Quark had planned a match between the two).
  • DEEP SPACE: "Shakaar" - REV. 04/04/95 - ACT FOUR 37.
    25 EXT. SPACE - DEEP SPACE NINE (OPTICAL) Re-establishing. The Garuda is still in port.
  • (O'Brien gets injured playing darts and Bashir informs him he needs surgury)
    SYVAR- "I do not make the rules. I merely follow them. In any case, the Garuda is departing this evening."

This is all I can find. Seeing as I have not seen this episode in many years can anyone confirm the mention and appearance of this ship or was it totzlly removed from the final cut??

--------------------
Hey, it only took 13 years for me to figure out my password...

Amasov Prime
lensfare-induced epileptic shock
Member # 742

- posted      Profile for Amasov Prime     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are you serious? April 1st was two weeks ago.

I never heard of this guy, nor do I recall any mentioning of the vessel. If it's from the script, it has been cut before the episode went into production. Otherwise they would have had to cut the space-shot, and cutting SFX is something they rarely do. Furthermore, this seems t be more than the usual one-liner you cut to get in more commercials. Of course I could be wrong and it has been edited out. But I'm quite sure my version does not contain such a scene. What season is it? DVDs anyone?

--------------------
"This is great. Usually it's just cardboard walls in a garage."

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's no prank, I just ran a search in the DS9 Companion and the man's info is correct.

The companion won't let you copy and paste text so I did some screen grabs instead.
garuda 1
garuda 2
garuda 3
garuda 4

After scolling through the script a little, it seams that quite a few of the scenes between O'Brian and the Vulcan were cut down a bit.
This makes sence given that this is the "B" story and that it wasn't really important that he b from a Starship when he could just as easily have been a member of DS9's Starfleet crew.
Assuming that the final cut didn't include the Vulcan's name or his assignment I see no harm in adding this ship to the lists, since there is apparantly no contradiction with canon.

Note that while it says that the Garuda is a Prometheus-Class ship, from the context the author obviously meant Nebula-Class.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kewl.
MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, cool...

Too bad we'll never get any registry number for it since it was going to be a reuse of a stock shot, and it's from a cut scene anyway.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Shakaar" is ep 24 from season 3...and I dont recall any ships whatsoever in that episode, but again, this was many years ago when I last saw it.

And I havent gotten many of the TNG/DS9 DVDs yet, but would they reinsert footage into these episodes or were they just plain not filmed?

--------------------

Veers
You first
Member # 661

- posted      Profile for Veers         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, rarely is a new ship ever discovered...

--------------------
Meh

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

Garuda (for those of you keeping track) is the eagle mount of Vishnu, one of the greatest gods of Hinduism.

--------------------

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It was also the name of the robot battlecraft in Toho's Godzilla vs. MechaGodzilla II, for anyone who's into movie trivia. [Wink]
Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, we've had starships and starship classes named after something Japanese... although naming a USS Yamaguchi still makes me wonder.

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."
-Gene Roddenberry about Star Trek

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

You mean Indian. Im not too sure Garuda qualifies as a Japanese name considering their primary religions are Buddhism and Shintoism.

Yamaguchi is from either:

1)- the prefecture or the capital city of the prefecture Yamaguchi on the Japanese island of Honshu.

2)- the Japanese/American 1992 Olympic figure skating champion Kristi Yamaguchi.

Unless Okuda is a personal fan of the skater, as the pilot was probably in production when she won that makes sense, I would guess for some reason it was probably the city/state Yamaguchi....

--------------------

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think he was referring more ot things like ships called "Akira", which suggests that "Garuda" could very likely be from the Godzilla movie.
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's also an Indonesian air-line.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Akira is dedicated to Akira Kurosawa, not the anime Akira, last I heard.

--------------------
"I'm nigh-invulnerable when I'm blasting!"
Mel Gibson, X-Men

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, it's after the movie. And Yamaguchi is named for the general.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps