Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Refit/E-A Shuttle Complement? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Refit/E-A Shuttle Complement?
Griffworks
Member # 1014

- posted      Profile for Griffworks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Howdy Ya'll,

Got a question directly mostly at David Schmidt/Treknophyle, tho anyone w/the "Enterprise-A DeckPlans" - or whatever the actual official name is - can answer if they know!

What is the listed shuttlecraft complement for the Enterprise-A? I don't have my copy of "Mr. Scott's Guide" here with me at work, but believe it states 4 and even gives the names. However, I seem to recall reading somewhere, perhaps in "Star Trek: The Magazine", that the ST:V complement was only two. That just seems ubsurd to me.

Why would you decrease the number of shuttlecraft?

I think that this was an assumption of the staff writer for the article based upon "on-screen evidence". After all, we only see a grand total of two in ST:V, so that must the complete complement for the ship, right...? [Roll Eyes]

I tend to agree more w/the numbers from the "official" TOS Constitution class plans by FJ (I forget the exact title, sorry), as well as "Mr. Scott's Guide" and the "Starship Spotter" book (which I believe also states 4). I just don't understand the rationale behind decreasing the number if you've still got the same amount of space and the shuttlecraft aren't that much larger than the old style.

Anyhow, curious to know what the "unofficial E-A" deck plans state and any rationale behind the decision if it's less than four.

TheWoozle
Member # 929

- posted      Profile for TheWoozle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had taken 'four' for granted. In ST:V we see one parked as a second one landing (twice, I might add) and there is the elevator and hanger for a couple more, then also those work bees. What does the Enterprise need with half a dozen work bees? I bet that six shuttles woudl be more realistic

--------------------
joH'a' 'oH wIj DevwI' jIH DIchDaq Hutlh pagh
(some days it's just not worth chewing through the leather straps in the morning)
The Woozle!

Amasov Prime
lensfare-induced epileptic shock
Member # 742

- posted      Profile for Amasov Prime     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
At least 5. That was Galileos number. And we usually assume that the numbers are not sequential but assinged to a replacement shuttle again if the former is destroyed. In other words, I doubt there are just shuttles 3, 4 and 5 in Enterprise's complement.
The types are probably all the same as seen in ST:V (allthough there was that sketch from TMP with Vulcan long-range-shuttle pods in E's bay) and have been the TOS-type on the E until she was destroyed or sometime before that incident (they were still in use in TMP, as seen in the Special Edition, and there is no evidence of Starfleet using the Vulcan pod thing since the bay in the final used shot was empty).

Besides that, the Sternbach auction on ebay does also contain a study model of the TFF-shuttle. Interestingly, it's name is Galileo, but the number is 7. I wonder why they changed that in the first place. Guess they don't repect tradition. [Smile]

--------------------
"This is great. Usually it's just cardboard walls in a garage."

SoundEffect
Member # 926

- posted      Profile for SoundEffect     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Scott's Guide" specifies a shuttle complement of 4. The names given are:

Halley 1
Herschel 3
Copernicus 5
Galileo 7

The shuttles intended by "Scott's Guide" are the Vulcan Shuttle-style craft, not the Trek V version. (The ones in the unused matte painting.)

"Scott's Guide" goes on to say that there are two Travel Pods on board and six Workbees.

The "Starship Spotter" says that four Shuttles are carried on board along with eight Workbees with no mention of Travel Pods.

--------------------
Stephen L.
-Maritime Science Fiction Modelers-

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cpt. Kyle Amasov:
Interestingly, it's name is Galileo, but the number is 7. I wonder why they changed that in the first place. Guess they don't repect tradition. [Smile]

I suspect this is a joke, due to use of smiley, but to be sure...you are joking, aren't you?

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm all for pretending that the Vulcan/Probert shuttle never was standard Starfleet starship-auxiliary hardware. However, I'd prefer a little more diversity than claiming that the ship carries 4-6 shuttles identical to the two we saw in ST5.

Moreover, in that particular movie, plot logic [Razz] dictates that there only were two shuttles aboard. Or at least that the rest of the shuttles aboard were not capable of rescuing Kirk from the planet when transporters were down. The situation in ST5 may not describe the standard operational complement all that well, but then again, it may...

I'd personally go for a complement of 2 or if necessary 4 shuttles of the type we saw, 2-6 workbees for deep space repairs, and perhaps one or two special craft, as TAS suggests there can be rather diverse vessels aboard. Of course, "Mudd's Passion" probably should be taken as an exceptional situation, as a shuttlebay so chock full of stuff wouldn't be very functional.

For the TOS ship, I'd also suggest 2 standard shuttles in operational condition to have been the usual case, and 4 being the rarely attained maximum. Otherwise, more shuttles should have been dispatched in "The Galileo Seven".

Timo Saloniemi

Amasov Prime
lensfare-induced epileptic shock
Member # 742

- posted      Profile for Amasov Prime     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PsyLiam:
quote:
Originally posted by Cpt. Kyle Amasov:
Interestingly, it's name is Galileo, but the number is 7. I wonder why they changed that in the first place. Guess they don't repect tradition. [Smile]

I suspect this is a joke, due to use of smiley, but to be sure...you are joking, aren't you?
The last line was a joke. But if you think the Galileo-line was part of the joke, then no, I am not joking.

--------------------
"This is great. Usually it's just cardboard walls in a garage."

Griffworks
Member # 1014

- posted      Profile for Griffworks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Timo:
I'm all for pretending that the Vulcan/Probert shuttle never was standard Starfleet starship-auxiliary hardware. However, I'd prefer a little more diversity than claiming that the ship carries 4-6 shuttles identical to the two we saw in ST5.

I have no problem with diversity whatsoever. However, I've always liked the idea of the "Vulcan" shuttle as a "dockport" carried by each of the starships, albiet in limited quanitities. My thinking is that the standard complement could easily be three "standard" shuttles (from ST:V) and one dockport and additional shuttlecraft carried as needed for mission specific parameters. After all, why wouldn't a standard shuttlecraft be able go under water and operate for short periods of time? I can understand wanting an aqua-shuttle for long-term water missions, but why would you need it on a standard mission? You also wouldn't want to get caught with your "pants down" and only have two shuttlecraft, but one's in for repairs, thus only one is operational - and then have an emergency need for at least two. After all, it doesn't seem that uncommong to come across a planet where the tranporters won't work.

quote:
Moreover, in that particular movie, plot logic [Razz] dictates that there only were two shuttles aboard. Or at least that the rest of the shuttles aboard were not capable of rescuing Kirk from the planet when transporters were down. The situation in ST5 may not describe the standard operational complement all that well, but then again, it may...
Which I have no problem with, personally. I still think the standard would be more than two, tho. Especially on a ship the size of Enterprise.
quote:
I'd personally go for a complement of 2 or if necessary 4 shuttles of the type we saw, 2-6 workbees for deep space repairs, and perhaps one or two special craft, as TAS suggests there can be rather diverse vessels aboard. Of course, "Mudd's Passion" probably should be taken as an exceptional situation, as a shuttlebay so chock full of stuff wouldn't be very functional.
Agreed where "Mudd's Passion" is concerned. IIRC, the episode showed something like a dozen shuttlecraft! I still think that the standard for shuttlecraft would be four.

quote:
For the TOS ship, I'd also suggest 2 standard shuttles in operational condition to have been the usual case, and 4 being the rarely attained maximum. Otherwise, more shuttles should have been dispatched in "The Galileo Seven".
What brings you to that conclusion? AIR, there was no mention of utilizing any other shuttlecraft in the episode. Most likely, Kirk's rationale was that the sensors on Enterprise were far superior to that of a shuttlecraft, if that's where you were going w/your thinking. ISTR that there was some sort of interference which kept Enterprise from picking up the shuttlecraft? Been a long while since I last saw that episode....
Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ships of the Star Fleet gives the Enterprise (II) class 2+ shuttles. Doesn't give a maximum figure. I wouldn't have thought it'd be that necessary to have that many shuttles- they're only used rarely after all and the transporters usually seem to work OK.

--------------------
"I am an almost extinct breed, an old-fashioned gentleman, which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-bitch when it suits me." --Jubal Harshaw

TheWoozle
Member # 929

- posted      Profile for TheWoozle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The way I look at the Enterprise-A's shuttle, is filling the same roles as the helecoptors on today's Cruisers (sans ASW, natch). A Ticonderoga class cruiser carries Two helecoptors, while, the Kirov carries 3 Helix helecoptors, and the Iowa had 4 helecoptors.

--------------------
joH'a' 'oH wIj DevwI' jIH DIchDaq Hutlh pagh
(some days it's just not worth chewing through the leather straps in the morning)
The Woozle!

Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
(sans ASW, natch).
How about ACW: Anti-Cloak Warfare?

--------------------
"I am an almost extinct breed, an old-fashioned gentleman, which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-bitch when it suits me." --Jubal Harshaw

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe the E-A only left Earth with 2 shuttles in the hurry to get to Nimbus III, and didn't have time to recall all her craft (or they simply hadn't arrived yet).

--------------------
"Lotta people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting."

-Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney, LeMans

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The other shuttles were coming Tuesday. [Wink]

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

newark
Member # 888

- posted      Profile for newark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The number of shuttles for a Constitution Class starship are four. This number is stated in "The Omega Glory".

From reading the thread on shuttles, I gather there were in addition to shuttles 3 and 5 the shuttles 2 and 4. With the two known and the two added, this is a total of four shuttles.

Phoenix
Member # 966

- posted      Profile for Phoenix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TheWoozle:
The way I look at the Enterprise-A's shuttle, is filling the same roles as the helecoptors on today's Cruisers (sans ASW, natch). A Ticonderoga class cruiser carries Two helecoptors, while, the Kirov carries 3 Helix helecoptors, and the Iowa had 4 helecoptors.

I thought the Iowa was a Battleship...

quote:
Originally posted by Wraith:
quote:
(sans ASW, natch).
How about ACW: Anti-Cloak Warfare?
That's what the smaller ships do in ST:Armada, if I remember correctly (I haven't played it in ages). I forget how they are supposed to do it, though. Some kind of tachyon thing perhaps?
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps