Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Refit/E-A Shuttle Complement? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Refit/E-A Shuttle Complement?
Amasov Prime
lensfare-induced epileptic shock
Member # 742

- posted      Profile for Amasov Prime     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's always some kind of tachyon thing, isn't it? [Roll Eyes]

Yes, Venture (ST:IX-scoutship) can be equipped with a tachyon detector to see cloaked ships close to it.

--------------------
"This is great. Usually it's just cardboard walls in a garage."

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
IIRC, "The Omega Glory" only stated that the Exeter had a complement of 4 shuttles. That doesn't mean other ships with slightly differing mission roles might not have more or less. Nor does it mean that at some point Starfleet didn't either increase or decrease the number of shuttles aboard its ships. So, while the specific complement of that specific vessel at that specific time may have been 4 shuttles, we know it has been other numbers on other ships at other times. (TAS showed a number of shuttles of varying designs on board the Enterprise, and when you think about it, the fact that the Galileo's registry was NCC-1701/7 indicates that there have been at least seven shuttles assigned to the ship. Franz Joseph's Star Trek Blueprints also gave this as the shuttle complement of the Constitution herself.)

As to the complement of the refitted Connie, I have no idea why Shane Johnson thought the shuttles would be only oddly numbered, but to me the fact that there's a "Shuttle 5" indicates that there are also Shuttles 1, 2, 3, and 4. Of course, not all of those may be flight-ready and in use at once, they may be stored in auxiliary bays off the main hanger, etc., to be activated only when needed. Plus, there's also the work bees...

-MMoM [Big Grin]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe some shuttles are like the old collapsible lifeboats used on ocean liners in the days before & up to Titanic: many of the shuttles are broken down into easily stored elements & only 2 or 4 are kept on standby readiness alert.

I'd like to know when they finally pulled their heads out of their ass & increased the shuttle complement from 4-7 in TOS eras to eleventy bazillion in TNG era.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Shik:
I'd like to know when they finally pulled their heads out of their ass & increased the shuttle complement from 4-7 in TOS eras to eleventy bazillion in TNG era.

When they started building ships big enough to support them.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

TheWoozle
Member # 929

- posted      Profile for TheWoozle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
there isn't any reason that the Enterprise's shuttle souldn't be odd numbered. Maybe the travel pods and work bees are even numbered. On the other tentical, The work bees might be numbered 1-4 and the shuttles numbered 5-8.

--------------------
joH'a' 'oH wIj DevwI' jIH DIchDaq Hutlh pagh
(some days it's just not worth chewing through the leather straps in the morning)
The Woozle!

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Shik:
Maybe some shuttles are like the old collapsible lifeboats used on ocean liners in the days before & up to Titanic: many of the shuttles are broken down into easily stored elements & only 2 or 4 are kept on standby readiness alert.

That's how Doug Drexler envisions the NX-01 to operate, with two pods on active duty ("hot standby") and two kept in non-operational reserve ("mothballs") that may be activated and prepped for flight within a day or two if necessary.

-MMoM [Big Grin]

P.S.
Incidentally, I just noticed that the Starship Spotter gives the TOS Connie's shuttle complement as "5-7 of various classes" and the TMP Connie's as including "8 Work Bee General Utility Craft" and "4 shuttlecraft of various classes." I tend to think of that book as non-canon, though, but I dunno about the rest of you.

-MM

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Amasov Prime
lensfare-induced epileptic shock
Member # 742

- posted      Profile for Amasov Prime     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TheWoozle:
there isn't any reason that the Enterprise's shuttle souldn't be odd numbered. Maybe the travel pods and work bees are even numbered. On the other tentical, The work bees might be numbered 1-4 and the shuttles numbered 5-8.

That's even stranger than having shuttle number 01-XX and shuttlepod number 01-XX on starships of the TNG era.

--------------------
"This is great. Usually it's just cardboard walls in a garage."

Treknophyle
Member # 509

- posted      Profile for Treknophyle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I always assumed that there were 8 shuttles, because:
1- in STMP we saw that the entire deck under the landing bay was a parking bay.
2- I can't see having only odd-numbered shuttles.
3- I saw them as a necessary adjunct to the emergency transporters and life boats in case of evacuation.

I agree that the two doors on the forward bulkhead of the STV shuttlebay were probably twin shuttle elevators to the next deck down - as well as access for cargo pods forward into the vast cargo bay. Occam's Razor: choose the simplest theory. This way, the only changes between the STMP era and the STV era are almost cosmetic - enclosed shuttle elevators replacing the open ones - plus one vertical shaft.

--------------------
'One man's theology is another man's belly laugh.' - Lazarus Long

TheWoozle
Member # 929

- posted      Profile for TheWoozle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Which brings up a theory that I've been... theorizing. What IF, the scene in TMP, was of the ship, unfinished? At taht point, it was still unfinished and being rushed into service. It seems to me, that having that big open bay would be rather odd, for anything but a transport. During construction, it would seem like a natural thing, to keep that open, until the last, then put in the cargo deck, decking and enclose the shuttle bay. On reflection, what they where ACTUALLY doing, was showing off the forcefield that held in the air.

--------------------
joH'a' 'oH wIj DevwI' jIH DIchDaq Hutlh pagh
(some days it's just not worth chewing through the leather straps in the morning)
The Woozle!

Griffworks
Member # 1014

- posted      Profile for Griffworks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The thing is, we don't know that there wasn't some sort of doorway at the aft end of the shuttlebay, right? I think it's entirely possible for that to have been a roll-up door there which was opened all the way so that the Work-Bee's could haul their cargo thru to the cargo area. As David says above about Occam's Razor.... [Wink]

That's what I've always thought, to be honest.

Treknophyle
Member # 509

- posted      Profile for Treknophyle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's entirely possible - and plausible. As Larry Niven pointed out, depending on a force-field to keep the air in is rather chancy - especially for a warship. In the case of a power-out - you're in the soup.

My interpretation is that there was a roll-up door for the 'first-flight' refit ships. Later, practicality showed it a better idea to enclose the shuttle elevators with bulkheads and doors fore and aft. Redundancy - the first rule in good combat design.

--------------------

Phoenix
Member # 966

- posted      Profile for Phoenix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Treknophyle:
Redundancy - the first rule in good combat design.

Not for the Starfleet Warp Core Ejection Systems Design Bureau it isn't.

Come to think of it, the Starfleet Institute for Transporter Technologies doesn't seem to be aware of it either. [Smile]

Treknophyle
Member # 509

Damn, Phoenix - even their holodeck systems wouldn't have been passed by Canadian Quality Assurance.

--------------------

Phoenix
Member # 966

- posted      Profile for Phoenix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Damn, Phoenix - even their holodeck systems wouldn't have been passed by Canadian Quality Assurance.

But the holodeck has provided us with many interesting, original, thought-provoking episodes!
Griffworks
Member # 1014

- posted      Profile for Griffworks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
It's entirely possible - and plausible. As Larry Niven pointed out, depending on a force-field to keep the air in is rather chancy - especially for a warship. In the case of a power-out - you're in the soup.

My interpretation is that there was a roll-up door for the 'first-flight' refit ships. Later, practicality showed it a better idea to enclose the shuttle elevators with bulkheads and doors fore and aft. Redundancy - the first rule in good combat design.

I seem to recall from reading the novelization for ST:TMP, or perhaps "Mr. Scott's Guide", that there is a forcefield just inside the hanger bay doors which allows the hanger doors to be opened w/o the need to evacuate the shuttlebay for pressurization purposes. I want to say that for at least ST:TMP purposes, this was a one-way forcefield, which possibly later led to the structural integrity fields - ENT not withstanding.

Anyhow, to my thinking there are the shuttlebay doors, forcefield and then interior doors at the end of the shuttlebay leading into the cargo bay area. Normally, these doors would all be closed and the force field activated, especially during combat operations.

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps