Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Nemesis ($?) . . . Shields and Curses (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Nemesis ($?) . . . Shields and Curses
Guardian 2000
Member # 743

- posted      Profile for Guardian 2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Futurama Guy:
The thing that really blows my mind is the use of numerous Voyager references to defend your theories!! [Wink]

"I was young, I needed the money!"
"It was dark, I was drunk, and I had bad footing!"

Seriously, though, if ever there's a plot that even something from Voyager could've solved, you know something's fubar. [Smile]

--------------------
. . . ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam.

G2k's ST v. SW Tech Assessment

Guardian 2000
Member # 743

- posted      Profile for Guardian 2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Fleet-Admiral Michael T. Colorge:
Wait a minute, O'Brien transported through the Phoenix's shields during warp... can't that help explain this strange problem?

What CaptainMike said. Also note that there was a throwaway line regarding that . . . O'Brien said "glad we're trying this with a Federation ship, it would never work against an alien vessel" or words to that effect.

--------------------

Phoenix
Member # 966

- posted      Profile for Phoenix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
The thing that really blows my mind is the use of numerous Voyager references to defend your theories!! [Wink]

What's wrong with Voyager references? The fact that you don't like it doesn't affect the fact that it's canon.
Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Phoenix:
quote:

What's wrong with Voyager references? The fact that you don't like it doesn't affect the fact that it's canon.
If Star Trek plots were cheese, Voyager would have been the Swiss...

--------------------
Hey, it only took 13 years for me to figure out my password...

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Guardian 2000:
quote:
Wait a minute, O'Brien transported through the Phoenix's shields during warp... can't that help explain this strange problem?

What CaptainMike said. Also note that there was a throwaway line regarding that . . . O'Brien said "glad we're trying this with a Federation ship, it would never work against an alien vessel" or words to that effect.
Actually it was more like something to the effect that the shields of a Nebula-class reset their modulation every 5 minutes and that he could beam in during that moment.

--------------------
Hey, it only took 13 years for me to figure out my password...

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But that means the shield modulation would explain how the Borg could beam onboard the Enterprise-D back in Q Who. Anyway, I really don't know how to explain why the Schimitar had more shields, and a bubble one as oppose to the spandex one the E-E had, and still managed to get rammed with 70% left. What was John Logan on when he worte this and where the hell were the sci/tech advisors?

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."
-Gene Roddenberry about Star Trek

Phoenix
Member # 966

- posted      Profile for Phoenix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
If Star Trek plots were cheese, Voyager would have been the Swiss...

So? It's still canon.
newark
Member # 888

- posted      Profile for newark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or not. AS Mr. Okuda has stated, each fan must decide for themselves what is canon.

I am ambivalent on the merits of Voyager. I like DS9, TNG, and TOS. As for Enterprise, I think the show works better as an alternate time line as per Braga's recommendation.

Phoenix
Member # 966

quote:
Originally posted by newark:
Or not. AS Mr. Okuda has stated, each fan must decide for themselves what is canon.

It is for the purposes of G2k's website. [Smile]
Guardian 2000
Member # 743

quote:
Actually it was more like something to the effect that the shields of a Nebula-class reset their modulation every 5 minutes and that he could beam in during that moment.

Ah . . . well I'll be damned. I was thinking of the script. One of the perils of not having had all the episodes handy, I guess.

TNG S4 DVD - Disc 3, Ep 4 "The Wounded"

(Circa 37:30):
O'Brien: "Sir, let me beam over, try to talk to him. We served together a long time. When you've been through what we have you tend to get inside someone. He might listen."
Riker: "He'd never lower his shields and allow you to transport on board."
O'Brien: "The Phoenix is using a high-energy sensor system. It cycles every 5.5 minutes. Between cycles there's a window of a fiftieth of a second. Trust me, I can get through."
Picard: "Make it so."

Then the script includes the following scene not found in the actual episode, picking up where that leaves off:

O'Brien heads for the Turbolift.

STAR TREK: "The Wounded" - REV. 11/5/90 - ACT FIVE 54.

47A INT. TRANSPORTER ROOM - MINUTES LATER

O'Brien and Geordi at the console.

O'BRIEN

It's good we're trying this with another Federation ship. It would never work with an alien vessel.

GEORDI

I'm not so sure it's going to work this time. Can you get an accurate enough fix on his shield modulation to get through?

O'BRIEN

I think so. The Phoenix should be following standard Starfleet protocols. They have to align their shields at the start of every sweep.

GEORDI

So you'll sync up the beam...

O'BRIEN

And slip right through...

He holds up both hands... slips the fingers of his left hand through the separated fingers of his right.

GEORDI

But if there's any phase error... you could materialize outside the ship... we'd never have a chance to correct.

O'BRIEN

I've been monitoring his sweep patterns... I'm telling you, I can compensate...

GEORDI

And I guess we could increase the pattern buffer cycle to give us a little more margin for error...

O'BRIEN

The current cycle is almost finished, sir... they'll be phase aligning in twenty seconds...

GEORDI

Okay, Chief -- let's do it.

STAR TREK: "The Wounded" - REV. 11/5/90 - ACT FIVE 54A.

47A CONTINUED:

O'Brien goes to the Transporter pad. Geordi keeps his eye on the console.

GEORDI

Stand by... five seconds... here we go... two... one...

He hits the controls, and O'Brien DEMATERIALIZES from the pad.

GEORDI

Good luck, Chief.

--------------------

Guardian 2000
Member # 743

quote:
But that means the shield modulation would explain how the Borg could beam onboard the Enterprise-D back in Q Who.

Well, not necessarily. The Phoenix's "high-energy sensor system" seems like it was supposed to be unusual . . . might even have been why the ship had the one-off AWACS pod to begin with. But yes, in general, modulations and frequencies and nutations (oh my!) are the reason.

quote:
Anyway, I really don't know how to explain why the Schimitar had more shields, and a bubble one as oppose to the spandex one the E-E had, and still managed to get rammed with 70% left. What was John Logan on when he worte this and where the hell were the sci/tech advisors?
Back when all I had was a low-res cam-grab of the movie, I'd argued that the oval couldn't have represented the shields . . . in the movie, the Scimitar's shields are just as conformal as the E-E's.

--------------------

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"AS Mr. Okuda has stated, each fan must decide for themselves what is canon."

Actually, that the exact opposite of the definition of the word "canon".

Ryan McReynolds
Minor Deity
Member # 28

- posted      Profile for Ryan McReynolds     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Indeed. Each fan must decide what they accept as "true," but that is a completely seperate concept from the canon.

--------------------
Enterprise: An Online Companion

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." --Phillip K. Dick

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps