Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Akira - Jaeger style... (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Akira - Jaeger style...
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Um... Could someone point me in the direction of these "good pictures" of the other FC ships? I don't believe I've seen them...

------------------
"I ran into Charlie Fogg.
He blacked my eye, and he kicked my dog.
My dog turned to me, and he said,
'Let's head back to Tennessee, Jed.'"
-The Grateful Dead, "Tennessee Jed"

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What pictures of the ships of First Contact? Is everyone referring to the ones in the Star Trek: The Next Generation Sketchbook? If so, Pedro has the Norway, Steamrunner, and Saber Class pictures in his site.

------------------
"Am I your fire
Your one desire
Yes I know it's too late
But I want it that way."

- Backstreet Boys

Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When was there a shot of the Akira-class bridge?

Hobbes

------------------
Evil moonbase: $50,000,000.00 Giant laser: $100,000,000.00 Perfect 1/8 size clone: Priceless.
For everything else there's...Austin Powers.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hobbes: Look at the picture in the post six above yours.

------------------
*needs a new sig, but hasn't run across anything good*

This is a temporary non-sig. Please ignore it. That is all.

Jim Phelps
watches Voyager AFTER 51030
Member # 102

- posted      Profile for Jim Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Although I am perfectly convinced that the Akira was intended to be about 450 meters long and that the escape pods were intended to be of the same type, there is that errorneous 262m size the DS9 VFX group are using which could pull the number down a bit in the future.

Boris

------------------

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not so sure about the design size. Like Davok said, a ~450m Akira would have a huge bridge module. And Jaegar did intend this to be a warship...would he have designed it with such high decks?

------------------
http://frankg.dgne.com/
"Let's get those missiles ready to destroy the universe!" - TMBG

Jim Phelps
watches Voyager AFTER 51030
Member # 102

- posted      Profile for Jim Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, it depends on what we call 'bridge' in that big blob on the top. I see it as bridge plus a number of decks atop the main saucer, as is the case with the Ent-E if you've seen the sketchbook.

And there is no evidence to suggest that warships have to have lower deck heights. For all we know, the deck heights may actually be higher because of all the additional power transfer conduits in-between decks needed to support the increased plasma/whatever flow required for high levels of armament. Normal ships don't have it run through crew sections for safety, but warships take these chances. Witness the Defiant with four 12' decks at 110 meters.

Boris

------------------

Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, I see. I thought you were talking about the inside of the bridge itself. Not the appearance from a dorsal view.

Hobbes

------------------
Evil moonbase: $50,000,000.00 Giant laser: $100,000,000.00 Perfect 1/8 size clone: Priceless.
For everything else there's...Austin Powers.

Gaseous Anomaly
Member # 114

- posted      Profile for Gaseous Anomaly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is more tactically sound to present your enemy with as small a target as possible. This tactic has been known and applied for years.

Therefore it makes perfect sense for a warship to have as few decks as possible, in order for it to be as flat/thin as possible.

Example: the Defiant. It's as flat as Voyager's humour.

------------------
If no-one will play with me, then I'm going home,and I'm bringing the inflatible with me.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps