Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Okay, I finally saw Nemesis

Author Topic: Okay, I finally saw Nemesis
Treknophyle
Member # 509

- posted      Profile for Treknophyle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
(When I bought the HD, I made my wife a solemn promise that we would no longer go to theatres, but would wait to rent DVD's).

So now I know what the shooting was about. My thoughts:

1. Enjoyment: I liked it. Holes... yes, but overall a better-than-average Trek flick.

2. Changes to the E:
-Deck 29 - never happened. I've heard a lot about this - and even some discussion about how the Engineering hull was 'fatter'. I couldn't see it.
-I did indeed see the two new aft-firing torpedo launchers (which someone aptly named 'pom-pom launchers' - but besides that and the sleeker fairing on the main hangar's sides, I noted few obvious differences. I did think I saw one new torp launcher just a few decks below (and fore) of the bridge - just a tube snout similar to that above the Cousteau. But I saw no sign of the oft-mentioned other forward-firing tube lower down and forward of that. I freeze-framed and slow-framed, and saw no sign of it. Has anyone a good capture of it?
- Out of torpedoes: Utter nonsense, of course. With at least 7 launchers, that ship has to have upwards of 200 torpedoes. I didn't keep track - but doubt that I saw more than 20 fired. The director wanted a reason why the 'dead-in-space' E couldn't obliterate the Scimitar - and he chose the wrong reason. A much better comment by Data would have been: "All torpedo launchers have been damaged or destroyed." After all, we heard Shinzon order the point-targeting of E's weapons systems. Where the hell was Okuda???!!!

--------------------
'One man's theology is another man's belly laugh.' - Lazarus Long

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I must say, that after seeing the whole thing, it is enjoyable. There are a few things (the buggy race, B4) that could've been left out, but overall, it was nice to see the gang back.

A little more 'off-duty' dialogue would have been nice..

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Treknophyle
Member # 509

- posted      Profile for Treknophyle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My wife - although a film buff - is by no means a Trekker - and as such I use her as a touchstone on the relative quality of Trek films as films.

Her first comment was: "Why did the aliens have almost identical dune buggys?"

My first one was: "Wheels, Mr. Spock.".

I thought Kirk made it fairly clear that wheels were obsolete.

--------------------
'One man's theology is another man's belly laugh.' - Lazarus Long

Guardian 2000
Member # 743

- posted      Profile for Guardian 2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Harry:
I must say, that after seeing the whole thing, it is enjoyable. There are a few things (the buggy race, B4) that could've been left out, but overall, it was nice to see the gang back.

You know what would've improved the film a thousand-fold? Have those buggy-guys tear off their "ugly alien" masks showing their Reman "ugly alien" masks underneath, and say "Think they bought it?"

--------------------
. . . ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam.

G2k's ST v. SW Tech Assessment

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you want to have scene #34 from the Hackneyed Cliche handbook.
MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, given a choice between Hackneyed Cliche or Incredible Coincidence, I'd take the cliche any day. [Razz]

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I put it down to them using comparable tech to the people on the planet - they were a non-warp civilisation weren't they?

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What about when Riker went down to battle The Viceroy... was that on deck 29? Anyway it was 20 something and they dropped like 3 or 4 decks during the battle and then The Viceroy plummeted into a Death-Star-like abyss. That would have added up to like deck 40 I think...

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Guardian 2000:
quote:
Originally posted by Harry:

You know what would've improved the film a thousand-fold? Have those buggy-guys tear off their "ugly alien" masks showing their Reman "ugly alien" masks underneath, and say "Think they bought it?"
ROTHLMAO!!!!

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps