Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Nemesis Cap Request - New Torp Launchers (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Nemesis Cap Request - New Torp Launchers
Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Though they saved the quantums for last, which was nice. [Smile]
A very nice summary there.

David Templar
Saint of Rabid Pikachu
Member # 580

- posted      Profile for David Templar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mark Nguyen:
Lots of people equate longer strips with more power, and that's semi-reasonable... I personally am in favor of having two or more classes of phasers mounted a la DS9, with the new aft strips being of equal power as the main saucer mounts. The secondaries would be used for defensive fire, anti-fighter (smaller craft are more common these days), and so forth.

Wow, phaser emitters that allows strips to produce the same amount of firepower as the primary arrays for 1/20th the length! Imagine if we made a main array with those ! [Roll Eyes]

I've heard this sort of argument before, "the Defiant's warp core generates more power than that of a GCS, because it's smaller." Well, what would happen if you made a 'big' small core? You can't, you get a big core.

If length doesn't matter, then ships would have many shorter arrays at the front instead of one long one. They'd save space and money, and get basically the same arc and firepower.

And why would you need that much firepower for defensive fire, anti-fighter, etc?

Waits, fighters? [Eek!] In Star Trek? *faints* [Big Grin]

--------------------
"God's in his heaven. All's right with the world."

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But they DON'T have many shorter arrays stacked up front, so that can't be the answer. I am not saying in my argument that power is proportional to strip length; rather, that different strips can be of different types regardless of length. And that on a Sovereign, the big strips up front are the primaries, leaving a variety of less powerful placements to cover the other arcs (redundantly, in many cases). Inasmuch as a no battleship can turn its big guns in a 360 arc without bumping into conning towers and stuff, the big phasers need to be complemented with smaller antiship emplacements.

Mark

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

David Templar
Saint of Rabid Pikachu
Member # 580

- posted      Profile for David Templar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Um, I'm kind of lost now. I was saying that power is proportional to length... That's how I interpret the TNGTM's bit on phaser arrays.

In any case, we shouldn't be looking at length to determine this. You can in theory get an infinite number of lengths with array-type emitter setups. You just put one emitter after another, and have it go long or short as you need. One can measure each individual emitter to see if there are ones of different dimisions, and hope that the internal arrangement is not what's different.

The thing is, it doesn't make much sense for them to be a different type, if the difference is the emitter's firepower. If the shorter strip uses a weaker emitter, then they're just compounding the shortcoming of the length = power problem. Sure, you don't usually need much power in the aft arc, but if you can have it, why not? And if they use an emitter type that's stronger than the ones found in the primary arrays... Why aren't the primary arrays using those emitters, then? Plus it makes it unneccessarily confusing in terms of logistics. "We'll need 24 Type-XIII emitters, 8 Type-Xs, and a Type-VIII. I assume you know which one goes where."

--------------------

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"I assume you know which one goes where."

You have to peek under the Sovvie's skirt to find out. :-)

--------------------
"I'm nigh-invulnerable when I'm blasting!"
Mel Gibson, X-Men

Guardian 2000
Member # 743

- posted      Profile for Guardian 2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nim:
"I assume you know which one goes where."

You have to peek under the Sovvie's skirt to find out. :-)

So THAT'S where she's hiding deck 29!

--------------------
. . . ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam.

G2k's ST v. SW Tech Assessment

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Isn't that terrifying? You have to look under a Sovvie's skirt for her missing deck.

Mark

--------------------

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No. What is terrifying is looking up her skirt and seeing a penis there after waking up in bed next the Sovvie after a wild night of drinking.

Not that I speak from experience or anything.

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

Guardian 2000
Member # 743

- posted      Profile for Guardian 2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Siegfried:
No. What is terrifying is looking up her skirt and seeing a penis there after waking up in bed next the Sovvie after a wild night of drinking.

Not that I speak from experience or anything.

We said "deck", not "di..." . . . oh nevermind.
[Razz]

--------------------
. . . ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam.

G2k's ST v. SW Tech Assessment

David Templar
Saint of Rabid Pikachu
Member # 580

Whatever happened to drinking responsibly? It's only a matter of time before you wake up beside the Whale "Probe", at this rate.

--------------------

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just don't stick anything into the peni...er...Planetkiller.

Now back to phasers:
Firstly, the smaller phasers should not be a diffrent kind: that's silly.....but the argument that longer phaser strips are more powerful could be kinda right too.
Longer phasers could allow for more power to be fired continously as opposed to the smaller phasers that, while no less powerful for short bursts, would be damaged or burnt out if that much power was channeled through the smaller arrays for more than a few seconds at a time.

As to the arc of fire on the soverign's phaser strips being redundant: well, it was the same way on the Galaxy class so it must be for multiple targets (remember that these are uber-battleships).

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

Bringing closure to this thread (I guess), here's what Eaves himself said about the new weapons:

"And as far as weaponry go, right there we have a new single torpedo launcher," he says as he points to the area just in front of the bridge. "We've got a double launcher ? in the back of the back module, (another) single launcher (on the aft section), and we've got phaser strips on the top and the bottom of the struts."

From this interview on starfleetcom.net. I guess there are only three new launchers then, all dorsal, and the new phaser mounts.

Mark

--------------------

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, I did once find the aft ventral laucher on the fantail below the shuttlebay.

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps