Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Earth Ships (The Expanse Spoilers) (Page 4)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Earth Ships (The Expanse Spoilers)
Adm_Amit
Member # 1046

- posted      Profile for Adm_Amit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't disagree with what you've said because it's all sound and makes sense. But what I would say that would be a more apropriate action when producing such a big project to have a backup. This can be clearly seen in any major project that is conducted nowadays. As a good example I can present the Space Shuttle. During it's development in the 1970s Rockwell developed 2 main test articles and 2 flight vehicles. Structurally-wise all 4 articles began assembly at a very close proximity within the same year. Now the test articles (MPTA-98 and STA-99) were finished at close proximity. The two flight vehicles (OV-101 and OV-102) were finished at separate dates because OV-101 (Enterprise) was chosen not be an active orbiter. If it had been chosen, all other major system integrations that went into OV-102 (Columbia) would have been completed on OV-101 at the same time.

All I'm saying is that Starfleet would have begun work on at least 2 space-worthy frames for what became the NX class. Maybe not simultaneously but at a slight gap of a few months not because they didn't trust their design but as a factor of safety. Nothing that important is ever built alone. There's always a backup.

If you don't like that idea then I have another possible suggestion. Starfleet vessels like many aerospace vessels and propulsion systems nowadays follow the modular concept. Many separate sub-assemblies or modules are created and assembled into the main assembly. As such the creation of the NX really keeps following that tradition. If Starfleet didn't have another available production facility to construct a second spaceframe It would make a lot of sense for Starfleet to have been producing backup spare modules for the prototype vessel that became Enterprise. This would have been done just in case any irreversible damage was experienced by Enterprise. This idea isn't really far fetched as it is regularly practiced in the aerospace industry nowadays and surely would continue into the future. As a very good example, the Orbiter Endeavour was completely assembled from structural spare modules that were made for the Atlantis and Discovery Orbiters. Again by producing these spare modules assembly and test of Endeavour took a lot less than normal production on one of the original orbiters. Once again if this would have been performed then production of a second NX class vessel would not have taken long and there would conceivably be at least another NX Class vessel at least going through the Test Operations. Maybe not a full space-worthy vessel but at least a core crew performing all sorts of tests on the ship. During any sort of production any engineering changes performed on one product are immediately incorporated into the succesor usually just delaying the release of the original product and not the successor. As such any sort of flaws or changes done to the NX-01 would have been incorporated into the NX-02 to prevent delay in its production.

--------------------
Amit =/\=

"Imagination is More Important Than Knowledge" - Albert Einstein

David Templar
Saint of Rabid Pikachu
Member # 580

- posted      Profile for David Templar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Personally, I think people are making too big a fuss over the NX. Even Starfleet doesn't really care, Archer himself said "one more ship isn't going to make a difference" or something along those lines. So even if the NX-02 was available, Starfleet would hardly be in need of her capabilities. The NX was never the pride of the Fleet when it came to weaponry, considering the proliferation in phase cannon and introduction of photon torpedoes to NX-01 (meaning Earth had it before NX got home, and since it doesn't require new launchers, someone else probably already got them installed before NX).

Besides, the NX, for all its stupidity in design, is a relatively roomy ship with a long leg and lots of accessories. Starfleet would do far better spending its resources on smaller ships with the same technology, if they really wanted some muscles. Less internal volume, and what they do have is filled with weapons, kinda like the principle behind the Defiant. And like them Earth ships this thread started with, assuming they were smaller than NX-01.

NX is useful as a status symbol for showing off mankind's new long strides into the stars. Pragmatically speaking, it's a joke. It only appliable function comes from getting its butt kicked by Aliens of the Week and warning Starfleet that they need to build a better ship.

--------------------
"God's in his heaven. All's right with the world."

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We've established that the new torpedoes DO require refitted and/or additional tubes. For all we know, the hardware could have come from a pile earmarked for NX-02...

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Adm_Amit
Member # 1046

- posted      Profile for Adm_Amit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The photon torpedo technology is a new and experimental one which Starfleet decided to start introducing at least on these experimental starships. As a result it's true that additional launchers are required for the new torpedoes since it would probably take too much time to retrofit the old launchers to accept both new and old torpedoes.

As for the NX ships not being the "pride of the fleet" I would have to seriously disagree with you on that one. I would tend to think that a vessel with a new and revolutionary propulsion system and such a "grandieur" design would certainly be the pride of the fleet. If you look back at real history the Aircraft Carrier USS Enterprise (CVN-65) became the pride of the US Navy having been the first aircraft carrier to have a Nuclear Propulsion system on board which contrasted to its diesel-driven counterparts. I would tend to think that a starship that travels faster and has such great experimental weapon technology would certainly be the pride of Starfleet.

--------------------
Amit =/\=

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm sure that the NX class is the pride of the fleet as far a status and morale goes. But, I think what Archer meant by his line that one more ship won't make that much of a difference is that, if it came to fighting off an invasion, or a major attack on Earth by this new species... that Enterprise wouldn't even the odds much. My guess is that the NX class' major distinction from other earth ships is it's propulsion, and that's it. They probably have no greater weapons or sensor systems. Surely older vessels would be equiped with up to date modular equipment and software. Unless getting there quickly and holding more cargo or people is the issue, I don't think the NX class is all that more impressive from some slightly older earth ships.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Adm_Amit
Member # 1046

You're absolutely right. Apart from the Warp 5 Drive the NX Class hasn't been shown to surpass older starfleet vessels in other areas such as weaponry.

I know that one more ship won't do anything in regards to this possible "invasion". All I would like to see more and in at least a little more detail are starfleet vessels. I'm so tired of just seeing freighters and alien vessels. The tease in The Expanse was just a tease. I want to be able to be more exposed to what the current fleet at least partially looks like.

--------------------
Amit =/\=

David Templar
Saint of Rabid Pikachu
Member # 580

- posted      Profile for David Templar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mark Nguyen:
We've established that the new torpedoes DO require refitted and/or additional tubes. For all we know, the hardware could have come from a pile earmarked for NX-02...

I don't remember the exact quote from "The Expanse", but I'm pretty damn sure it did not mention new launchers. Hell, I ranted before the episode about how its BS if the NX would just get those things and integrate them into existing hardware, so I was paying a lot of attention to see whether I was right or not. I was very much sorry that I was right.

Sure, one could argue that we saw "new" tubes, since the photon torpedoes originated from points closer to the center line than spatial torpedoe launches, and the after pod thing of indeterminate nature, but I'd more readily attribute those to faulty internal consistency/SFX error than "new" torpedoe tubes. Some retrofitting, for sure, we saw that much, but definately nothing revolutionary enough to preclude photon torpedoes from entering service on vessels other than NX.

--------------------

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
FORREST
The NX-02.. Ready to launch in 14 months.

ARCHER
Long time.

FORREST
Hopefully you'll be back well before then.

ARCHER
Hopefully.. What kind of armaments will she have?

FORREST
Same complement of weapons you'll have once the retrofit's done.

REED
Photonic torpeoes.. Their range is over fifty times greater than our conventional torpedoes, and they have a variable yield. They can knock the (huh?) off a shuttlepod without scratching the hull, or they can put a three kilometer crater into an asteroid

TUCKER
How long is it gonna take to reconfigure the tubes?

REED
Well, we've got three teams working on it. They promise they'll be done before we leave spacedock, but I've got to start integrating them into the power grid..

make your own judgements.. looks like NX-01 personnel were doing the work, but it required the installation of new equipment thay didn't have aboard, since they had something new to 'plug in' to the power grid

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

capped
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
for the record, ive watched some older episodes.. the new photoic torpedo magazine that was installed in 'Expanse' is a whole new assembly that wasnt in the armory before, in fact, its where Reed's control station used to be..
Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not exactly. The console is still there, but has been moved up onto a platform. The new torpedo magazine is free standing in the middle of the room, and the torps slide down and then into the tube which is under the platform. Presumably some method is available to reload the magazine, probably from the ceiling. Mind you, there also has to be a way they transport the old spatial torpedoes from the wall magazines to the loading platform, which we haven't ever seen.

Mark

--------------------

capped
Member # 709

BTW, were those torpedoes stock props from the movies/TNG/DS9? they looked real, but the motion looked kinda CGIed.. im wondering whether they built a loader or if they just composited it digitally
David Templar
Saint of Rabid Pikachu
Member # 580

quote:
Originally posted by CaptainMike:
BTW, were those torpedoes stock props from the movies/TNG/DS9?

They really looked like it... I don't know if they even bothered with building new props that looks exactly like the old ones.

--------------------

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just to be complete, moreso than anything else [Wink] :

quote:

REED
Photonic torpeoes.. Their range is over fifty times greater than our conventional torpedoes, and they have a variable yield. They can knock the
comm array off a shuttlepod without scratching the hull, or they can put a three kilometer crater into an asteroid

TUCKER
How long is it gonna take to reconfigure the tubes?

REED
Well, we've got three teams working on it. They promise they'll be done before we leave spacedock, but I've got to start integrating them into the power grid..

--------------------
Hey, it only took 13 years for me to figure out my password...

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

quote:
Originally posted by CaptainMike:

Photonic torpeoes.. Their range is over fifty times greater than our conventional torpedoes, and they have a variable yield. They can knock the (huh?) off a shuttlepod without scratching the hull, or they can put a three kilometer crater into an asteroid

"huh?" = Comm array, according to the CC text.

Mark

--------------------

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I found it kind of interesting that the reason everyone is so wowed by the new torpedoes is their range and variability, and not, that I can recall, that they are much more powerful than the old torpedoes.
  This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps