Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » The tachyon grid fleet (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: The tachyon grid fleet
Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know if it has been done before, but I've identified some more ships in the tachyon grid displays from "Redemption, part 2". The ships marked "new" are not mentioned as part of the fleet, however, they are ships that have been seen before (or will be seen in later episodes!). There is no ship with a 4-digit number or a name resembling "Valkyrie".

1) This is the original configuration of the network I have drawn from the TV screen:

http://www.uni-siegen.de/~ihe/bs/startrek/temp/tachyon-grid-original.gif

2) This is the network without the Excalibur. Note that the Charleston and Sutherland (where the grid is just being disrupted when the display is shown) have changed positions, while the Thomas Paine and one unknown ship try to fill the gap the Excalibur has left. The dialogue says the Hornet and Akagi were supposed to do this. Maybe we have to think three-dimensionally.

http://www.uni-siegen.de/~ihe/bs/startrek/temp/tachyon-grid-disrupted.gif

I'm not sure if the three missing ships will ever be identified, because they are almost completely covered by the grid lines in the second diagram, and the first one is too small.

Anyway, except for the 2xxxx registry of the Hermes, there seem to be no inconsistencies in the displays.

------------------
"No, thanks. I've had enough. One more cup and I'll jump to warp." (Janeway, asked if she would like some coffee in "Once upon a Time")
www.uni-siegen.de/~ihe/bs/startrek/

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The last digit in the Constellation-class ship's registry was a 3, anyway, so it wasn't the Valkyrie.

------------------
http://frankg.dgne.com/
"Let's get those missiles ready to destroy the universe!" - TMBG

Trinculo
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
During the course of the episode, the number of ships was said to be 22. I do not know the location of the other 5 ships.

Below is a list of ships from the new encyclopedia which had a picture of the tachyon web-
1. USS Akagi NCC-62158
2. USS Ahwahnee NCC-71620
3. USS Ajax NCC-11574
4. USS Aries NCC-45167
5. USS Charleston NCC-42285
6. USS Endeavor NCC-71805
7. USS Enterprise NCC-1701-D
8. USS Excalibur NCC-26517
9. USS Goddard NCC-59621
10. USS Hermes NCC-10376
11. USS Hood NCC-42296
12. USS Hornet NCC-45231
13. USS Merrimack NCC-61827
14. USS Sutherland NCC-72015
15. USS Thomas Paine NCC-65530
16. USS Tian Nan Men NCC-21382
17. USS Trieste NCC-37124

5 Additional Ship-
1. USS Valkyrie NCC-2590 (the registry can be seen briefly as the ship passes by. At Pedro's site, there is the view of the USS Valkyrie. The last digit appears to be shaped like a zero.)
The other four are unknown

[This message was edited by Trinculo on June 07, 1999.]

IP: Logged
Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Then it was probably the Hathaway, and was not re-labeled at all. I guess this was the last appearance of the a Constellation class ship, maybe the Valkyrie was only labeled for the exhibition.
Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In the first image, the Txxxxxx ship is the Trieste, and the other two unidentified ones are the Goddard and Aries.

In the second image, it's the same thing, only the Goddard has moved up towards where the Thomas Paine was.

I guess the Constellation-class ship was indeed the Hathaway.

------------------

The First One
A lovely little thinker, but a bugger when he's pissed
Member # 35

- posted      Profile for The First One         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ooh, cool. . . *has a great time flicking between the two images in different windows* 8)

Remind me - how many actual ships did we see in the ep? I don't recall there being a lot. . .

------------------
"I also received an interesting, if some-what perplexing, note from a 13-year-old lad who asked if I "had a clue." I fear I cannot adequately answer, as I am not aware of any immediate clues at hand; but that is not to say there are none present." - T. Herman Zweibel

Trinculo
Ex-Member

The following ships were seen in the episode:
USS Enterprise NCC-1701-D
USS Excalibur NCC-26517
USS Sutherland NCC-72015
USS Valkyrie NCC-2590 (I am accepting this identification. BTW, I sent a letter to Shadow. He replied that the identification of the Constellation Class ship couldn't be made. Has he gotten a bigger tv?)

Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for Elim Garak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Whoa, Lee's right; this is sure fun...

------------------
Doctor: "Run along. I'll reattach any severed limbs. Just don't misplace them." (Voyager: "The Killing Game")

[This message was edited by Elim Garak on June 07, 1999.]

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thing is, the Constellation seen in the exterior VFX sequence was upside-down, and the only other upside-down Constellation was the Valkyrie, and it had labels positioned that way to prove it... If they relabeled and flipped the model at some point, isn't just before it appeared onscreen upside-down a good time?

------------------
"A Star Wars picture that preaches against greed is a little like Bill Clinton in the pulpit for a chastity-begins-at-home campaign."

-Rex Murphy on Star Wars Episode 1: The Phantom Menace

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

As a matter of fact, I did get a larger TV. But I hadn't really checked before...I noticed the registry by accident. Anyway, the last number was definitely a 3.

------------------

Captain Stark
Member # 70

- posted      Profile for Captain Stark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok its late so I may mess this up.

A reprint of the Okudagram of the grid was printed in the Star Trek Science Logs (from Pocket about a year ago). If I was home then I could pull out the book and look up the page number.

------------------
-=/\=-
Captain Stark
http://beam.to/readyroom

"The man on the top walks a lonely path. The chain of command is often a noose." Dr. Leonard McCoy --Obsession, Stardate: 3619.2

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

I couldn't read any part of the Constellation class registry. The Valkyrie being the most recent labeling, I might accept it was supposed to be the Valkyrie, but strong evidence is missing.

The Aries is between the Hermes and the Enterprise, the Goddard between the Triese and the Hermes.

I don't like the idea that the same ships appear again and again in TNG, while there are thousands of them in DS9.

Trinculo
Ex-Member

The increase in the size of Starfleet is due to the demands placed upon the stories by the writers. The proportions of the Federation and the Starfleet are being exagerrated to the level of unbelievibilty for me. They are almost comical in scope. I chalk this up to the changing nature of the stories being made for Star Trek and a differing perception of the UFP and Starfleet.
Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

The situation that there's no other starship in sector 001 but the Enterprise is even more comical.
The First One
A lovely little thinker, but a bugger when he's pissed
Member # 35

- posted      Profile for The First One         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think the fleet idea is a good explanation of why the same ships reappear in TNG - after all, the E-D wasn't going that far afield. Which also explains why there were at least a dozen ships classes we never saw.

------------------
"I also received an interesting, if some-what perplexing, note from a 13-year-old lad who asked if I "had a clue." I fear I cannot adequately answer, as I am not aware of any immediate clues at hand; but that is not to say there are none present." - T. Herman Zweibel

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps