Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » TOS Planet Effects (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: TOS Planet Effects
capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
no, thats true enough.. i just watched in the unmatchable 320x200 format,so i didnt bother to squint and notice the galaxyness of the formation
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, forget that. It looks exactly the same.

Jupiter - TNG season 1

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

MrNeutron
Member # 524

- posted      Profile for MrNeutron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by thelastguardian:
I was referring to TMP, as I stated. When the Enterprise leaves the solar system, it passes Jupiter -- which was an airbrushed model about 3 feet in diameter.

Shane

I was at the TMP Art Dept in 89 and it was still there. It's only painted on one side (the back is white), and it's about 16" in diameter.

--------------------
"Well, I mean, it's generally understood that, of all of the people in the world, Mike Nelson is the best." -- ULTRA MAGNUS, steadfast in curmudgeon

thelastguardian
Member # 1017

- posted      Profile for thelastguardian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't believe there was a TMP Art Department in 1989. By then, TNG had taken over the stages and offices, and the sets had been redressed.

The Jupiter model I saw in 1986 was a good bit larger than whatever model you're talking about. May have been as small as thirty inches, but certainly not sixteen. It was mounted on a black stand maybe 3-4 feet high. I was impressed by its size.

Shane

kmart
Member # 1092

- posted      Profile for kmart     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That TMP Jupiter mentioned earlier was painted by Adolph Schaller, a guy who used to do a lot of work for NASA and ASTRONOMY magazine covers. He worked with Trumbull again on BRAINSTORM, doing 40 separate paintings on glass that were combined for a single shot, that 'galaxy fly-through' near the end, which is still one of the most impressive and evocative space shots I've ever seen.

--------------------
Achievement is its own reward; pride obscures it.

MrNeutron
Member # 524

- posted      Profile for MrNeutron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by thelastguardian:
I don't believe there was a TMP Art Department in 1989. By then, TNG had taken over the stages and offices, and the sets had been redressed.Shane

I meant TNG. Mike Okuda told me it was left over from the first movie. The one I was was no bigger than 16".

--------------------
"Well, I mean, it's generally understood that, of all of the people in the world, Mike Nelson is the best." -- ULTRA MAGNUS, steadfast in curmudgeon

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The one behind happy smiling Mr Okuda certainly doesn't look 3 feet in diameter.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

thelastguardian
Member # 1017

- posted      Profile for thelastguardian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Again, the one I saw on Stage Nine was much larger than 16 inches. The one you saw must have been a different one.

No big deal.

Shane

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps