Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Best Examples of Trek Combat Chatter? (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Best Examples of Trek Combat Chatter?
Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah. That battle was a major disappointment. Why couldn't the Enterprise-D have fired from both dorsal and ventral strips at the same time? And then when they brought up minimal aspect, added the belly and pylon strips aw well? Plus at least one full salvo of ten torpedoes?

But no, we had to see them getting their asses kicked. I just wish they'd been able to present it more believably. We knew they had to protect the -C so they couldn't maneuver much, but there were so many other things they could have done in order to come across as a bit more effective... *sigh*

Love that shot of the Galaxy broadsiding that hapless Galor in "Sacrifice of Angels" *swoon*.

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Of course, SoA had an SFX budget roughly seven billion times larger than that of YE, and the benefit of eight years of CGI evolution.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
BOBW used ALL of the galaxy's weapons fire in one shot when Picard orders "Fire all weapons" so it's not just the SFX budget that matters.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Season Finale Budget > Non-Season Finale Budget.

+$300,000,000 to Denise Crosby.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Come on: how much more could it cost to add in three more phaser beams to the one needed for the script anyway?

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is a thirty second scene in Out of Sight where Soderbergh needed to correct the snowfall in a window, and it cost one hundred thousand dollars.

Special effects are more expensive, than say, you imagine.

blssdwlf
Member # 1024

- posted      Profile for blssdwlf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It probably would've cost less if they just had a crewmember announced the firing of X number of phaser shots and their damage inflicted and wouldn't even have to have any special fx. But, they wasted the time mostly on Picard giving multiple course heading corrections (at that point he should've just started to manually steer the ship himself.)
Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember them saying once at a con that if it cost TNG $3000 to animate a torpedo shot, it'd cost them $5000 for a phaser blast purely because there's more phaser on screen than torp. This is why, for example, that torps got used more often on the whole. This has been negated in modern times as they pay per VFX SHOT these days, with design work for new stuff on top of it. Hence, one reason why we see lots more of 'em.

Given the amount of Klingon fire in "Yesterday's Enterprise", that's a lot of money. Them's some expensive green in them disruptor bolts.

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Also, the BOBW had a static ship, whereas the shot under discussion in YE had the ship moving vertically.

Also, they don't fire all the weapons in that one shot in BOBW. Not only do they miss out several phaser strips, but they actually draw phaser fire where strips don't exist.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And why haven't we seen a full spread of torpedoes since "The Arsenal of Freedom"?

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
they actually draw phaser fire where strips don't exist
Like where? I don't recall any phaser beams coming from non-existing strips.

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In exactly one shot, we see phaser beams erupting from the fore end of where the nacelles meet the pylons, and not from the phylon strips. Oddly, when the same model shot was used in the following episode for a "fire all weapons" shot, they were NOT firing. Looks like someone figured it out - but why then didn't they use any of the other strips?

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

One shot I would like to have seen is the Enterprise being pursued and firing all aft phasers (what, nine strips?) to discourage the pursuers.

--Jonah

--------------------

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

I was mistaken about the DS9 episode with the good chatter -- it was 7th season's "The Changing Face of Evil".

--Jonah

--------------------

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps