Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » The Storms of Galorndon Core (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: The Storms of Galorndon Core
MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been working again (finally) on my outline and stories for my own account of the Earth-Romulan War, based on the work that Masao wrote for the Starfleet Museum.

I had this idea that Galorndon Core would probably be one of the battlefields of the war, since we know for a fact that the system is only half a light-year from the Neutral Zone.

Based on what we saw of the planet in TNG's "The Enemy," can anyone think of a sequence of events in which a relatively habitable planet was transformed into a hellhole like Galorndon Core? The planet's atmosphere was certainly breathable, and there was plenty of running water (as Geordi found out). Would an extensive application of nuclear weapons possibly have caused that mess? Or maybe a use of the Romulan plasma cannon on a planetary target?

Basically, I'm thinking that Galorndon Core was one of the Earth colonies that got effectively wiped out during the early years of the war. I've always wondered how the place could be habitable (for short periods) yet be such a nasty place -- so I've surmised that it was actually the result of some cataclysm in the past.

Any ideas?

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can't remember exactly what the planet looked like but how about a kinetic strike? Loads of dust and crap spewed into the atmosphere would have totally screwed up the ecosystem, kinda like an asteroid strike.

So basically the Romulans come along on a hit and run raid or on a more extensive attack and pepper the planet with heavy mass objects (either purpose designed kinetic torpedoes or just rocks picked up from anywhere.)

--------------------
"I am an almost extinct breed, an old-fashioned gentleman, which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-bitch when it suits me." --Jubal Harshaw

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As I recall, the planet look like a sandy gravel pit. No vegitation. Near zero visibility. The surface (at least the part we saw) seemed to be sandy and rather wet rather than dusty and desert like.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Wraith:
I can't remember exactly what the planet looked like but how about a kinetic strike? Loads of dust and crap spewed into the atmosphere would have totally screwed up the ecosystem, kinda like an asteroid strike.

A kinetic strike wouldn't achieve the effects that we saw on Galorndon Core. All the lightning and electromagnetic storms? Not to mention that the temperature was comfortable -- somewhere in the 10-20�C range, probably.
quote:
Originally posted by Aban Rune:
As I recall, the planet look like a sandy gravel pit. No vegitation. Near zero visibility. The surface (at least the part we saw) seemed to be sandy and rather wet rather than dusty and desert like.

Yeah, but I figured that all of the vegetation could've just died out after the strike, but not directly because of temperature change (which is what caused all of the mass extinctions on Earth). In a "normal" asteroid strike, *something* would've survived and adapted.... not to mention the entire planet would've become very uncomfortable in extreme cold.

I guess what I'm wondering now is, would an incredibly massive blast of ionized plasma (like a bunch of the Romulan plasma cannons, or something similar) have caused the atmospheric disruptions and storms that we saw?

An uninformed analogy might be the effects of solar flares that we see here on Earth -- knocking out the power, disrupting communications, and causing the Aurora Borealis, for example. Would something on a much greater scale cause the planet-wide storms in "The Enemy," even 200 years later?

Failing that, what other technological means (read: weapons) might be used?

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
GC also had that nasty EM field problem that screwed Geordi so hard.
Possibly GC had it's Van Allen belt ripped up by stray nuclear weapons fire (beams, not bombs) and that's why it sucks so hard to be stranded there but it probably was'nt a class M garden spot to begin with.

It's also possible that one side or the other was terraforming GC when war broke out and abandoned it as part of the peae treaty. [Wink]

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One small suggestion from a dramatic point of view; Why not make GC a Romulan outpost instead of an Earth one? That way you can have the Romulans blast their own planet to keep it from being occupied by Earth forces and denying them a foot hold in their territory and it'd reinforce why the Romulans were never seen face to face, because it became a purely space based war.

That behavior would be consistant with what we've seen of the Romulans, they did after all slaughter their own invasion force in (TNG "Unification").

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tough call. Yes, that's consistent with TNG Romulans, but not the earlier TOS Romulans. They seem to have gotten sneaky and deceitful sometime after 2290. No, I'm not saying the cloaking device isn't sneaky, just that -- as portrayed -- the Romulans used to be the honorable adversaries and the Klingons were the lying, sneering, backstabbing @$$holes. Pity that changed. I didn't mind the Klingons getting more depth. I just wish it hadn't been at the expense of what I think was the coolest TOS race...

Hm...

I sense a thread coming on. Look over in General Trek.

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

Kris: Actually, Masao did at some point allude to the Romulans wiping out some of their own planets for defensive purposes. And I've already been considering the same thing -- thanks for confirming I'm not totally out there! [Wink]

As for their actions being inconsistent with TOS Romulans... well, I would *totally* disagree with that assessment. I submit that the Romulan Commander from "Balance of Terror" was an unusual individual, not representative of the norm in Romulan society. After all, if the Romulan government decided to launch such a sneak attack in the first place, that doesn't indicate many "honorable" intentions, to my way of thinking. The only other time we saw the Romulans in TOS, in "The Enterprise Incident," may not apply because that Commander was obviously incredibly naive and ineffective.

We've seen a few honorable Romulans in TNG's time, too -- "The Defector," for example, and "Unification." So I think that there's much less of a drastic change than one might think.

--------------------

djewell
Member # 1111

- posted      Profile for djewell     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Perhaps terraforming equipment can render a planet uninhabitable. The Romulans may have just left it slightly habitable to use it as a strike base.

I think that there are two types of Romulans: Honorable and Decietful. Perhaps the Honorable ones (ridgeless?) lost power after 2290 and were overcome by the ridged ones.

--------------------
"Science without religion is lame. Religion without science is blind."

-Einstein

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"I didn't mind the Klingons getting more depth."

What depth?

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
in TOS their swords were much less imaginative. and back then, there was no Klingon bible camp.
djewell
Member # 1111

- posted      Profile for djewell     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
and no language.

--------------------

-Einstein

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
and no horseshoe crab on their head.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

David Templar
Saint of Rabid Pikachu
Member # 580

- posted      Profile for David Templar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How about having the humans as the ones who fried the planet? Wouldn't exactly put it past them, being only semi-enlightened during that period of time. Or hey, if you set it in the ENT universe, you can have those nasty, illogical Vulcans do it. [Big Grin]

--------------------
"God's in his heaven. All's right with the world."

djewell
Member # 1111

It'd be better if the Romulans did that. You know honor and all that.

--------------------

-Einstein

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps