Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » The Storms of Galorndon Core (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: The Storms of Galorndon Core
Woodside Kid
Member # 699

- posted      Profile for Woodside Kid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Given the level of technology during the Romulan War period, would either side have enough firepower to permanently screw up an entire planetary ecosystem? To give a rough example, the comet or asteroid strike at the end of the Cretaceous Period had, by some estimates, an explosive force of more than one hundred million megatons, and yet the after effects obviously didn't last long enough to kill off everything (after all, we're here, right?), let alone a couple of centuries. If that much of a wallop couldn't do the trick, what kind of a man-made catastrophe could? One single event wouldn't be enough, I think; you'd have to have some sort of destabilizing program operating for decades at least to do the job.

--------------------
The difference between genius and idiocy? Genius has its limits.

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But perhaps Galarndon Core was a less stable planet, and never really recovered from the destruction.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Weapons not powerful enough? What about that plasma weapon the Romulans used? Send a few bolts of that down at various points on the surface and you'll probably achieve the very same effect. In Masao's Museum timeline, the Romulans had an earlier version of their plasma cannon that was sublight and only had limited effectiveness in ship-to-ship combat (since the targets were mobile and the weapon unguided), but firing at a space station or planetary target seems like a pretty good possibility to me.

At this point, I'm not even necessarily thinking of the explosive power directly. Would simply pumping lots of plasma into the planet's atmosphere with these cannons be enough to cause lots of damage to the ecosystem?

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"To give a rough example, the comet or asteroid strike at the end of the Cretaceous Period had, by some estimates, an explosive force of more than one hundred million megatons, and yet the after effects obviously didn't last long enough to kill off everything (after all, we're here, right?), let alone a couple of centuries."

Uhm... the after effects wiped out thirty-three percent of all life on Earth. The impact fucked up the planet's biosystem for tens of thousands of years, and if that asteroid had been a kilometer or so larger, nothing would have survived (except maybe a few prokaryotes).

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've just taken a look a three different sources which each give three different numbers for the total amount of species wiped out at the end of the Cretaceous, which is odd. Well, wait, some of them seem to be counting by genera. But, anyway, I think the figure is a bit higher, anywhere between 50% and 75%. This site even claims 85%.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A Romulan "warp carrier" chock full o' antimatter could have impacted the planet's magnetic pole at near relativistic speeds (hurtling out of control).
That would certainly have screwed the pooch.

GC could also be extremely old or extremely young as a planet with a erratic orbit and most of it's water existing only as vapor in the air.
A proto-planet if you will.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So basically we have:

1)Breatheable atmosphere- doesn't seem to indicate an unstable planet. Also indicates that at least plant life was probably present at some point.

2)Comfortable temperature- again, argues against unstable planet.

3)No obvious signs of life.

How about some kind of biological agent, coupled with either plasma attacks or purposeful misuse of terraforming equipment for the skies?

that should explain everything without the problems of the Romulans having to use their (then quite primitive) plasma weapons to kill everything on the planet.

--------------------
"I am an almost extinct breed, an old-fashioned gentleman, which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-bitch when it suits me." --Jubal Harshaw

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or mabye the bio-filter on the transporter malfunctioned and the biosphere was wiped out by simple e coli bacteria. [Wink]

As to unstable planets: this is Trek.
We've seen cloaked planets, planets that shift into subspace, "rogue planets", planetoids, asteroids and hollowed out asteroid spaceships all with breathable atmosphere. (and many with funky pastel skies and giant styrofoam boulders).
I think anything's possible given Trek's history.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmm... biological agent sounds like a pretty interesting possibility, particularly if GC was occupied by the Romulans and then abandoned.

But is it necessary to assume that the Romulans wanted to sterilize the planet right away? They could've used a plasma strike to wipe out the immediate colony, but the aftereffects of the strike would wipe out the ecosystem over the succeeding months and years, until everything was dead.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
But is it necessary to assume that the Romulans wanted to sterilize the planet right away?
No, not really. But (you knew that was coming), imagine how impressive it would seem to the UE people when they reached the planet that their enemy, these mysterious Romulans that no one's ever seen, can wipe out the entire ecosystem of a planet in a matter of weeks or months (assuming the process would not be begun until UE forces were in close proximity to the system and had intel reports on the planets). It would seem fairly terrifying to me.

Incidentally I had an idea a while back for an incident in the Romulan wars that could kinda link into this. I seem to remember in the chronology at some point (I think in the entry for the DS9 episode 'Homefront') it states that it is implyed that a state of emergancy was declared on Earth during the Romulan wars. Now I know that in the SF Museum timelline the Romulan space forces don't get too near Earth but what if there was an outbrake of a new disease of varient of a disease on Earth or Mars? If there had been reports of bioweapons being used elsewhere this could be enough for a state of emergancy to be declared. The real origin of the disease could be listed as unexplained. Just an idea [Smile] .

--------------------
"I am an almost extinct breed, an old-fashioned gentleman, which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-bitch when it suits me." --Jubal Harshaw

djewell
Member # 1111

- posted      Profile for djewell     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Seems logical to me. But one would have to wonder what it is that can elude Federation Tech. The crews never take into account that there might be a dangerous disease on planets they make first contact with. It seems to suggest to me that they have some sort of technology, be it a bio agent or other tech that allows them to kill all harmful organisms.

But then again, that was the 22nd century.

--------------------
"Science without religion is lame. Religion without science is blind."

-Einstein

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps