Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Warp Speed Limit (Page 2)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Warp Speed Limit
djewell
Member # 1111

- posted      Profile for djewell     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^^^^ Its possible that the warp field does break down the barrier in between subspace and realspace, but then wouldn't the space around Earth and other major planets be seriosly affected?

Maybe the Sovereigns "Off-axis field controllers" are a modified design that helps eliminate the subspace "pollution"

--------------------
"Science without religion is lame. Religion without science is blind."

-Einstein

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, because ships don't go to warp around Earth. They drop out of warp at the outside of the solar system (or at least a fair way out).

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

djewell
Member # 1111

- posted      Profile for djewell     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You have me there.

--------------------

-Einstein

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, except in those instances when they don't.
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, but TMP was an emergency to save the Earth, TSFS was an emergency to get away from the Excelsior, TVH was an emergency because...they were in a hurry. And "The Vengence Factor"? Picard just didn't give a flying fuck. Fortunatly, Riker knew that his job was to take the heat away from his Captain, so he decided to break the rule book even more by killing someone he didn't have to. Yay Will!

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

kmart
Member # 1092

- posted      Profile for kmart     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This 'not going into warp in a gravity well' is Larry Niven stuff, not applicable to Trek at all.

The 'not engaging the warp in the system' from TMP is related to untested engines (that's from the novelization as I recall), not standard warp.

They warp out of orbit from planets at the end of most shows, on TOS and TNG (for the latter, you actually see the start of the warp effect some of the time, so there is visual confirmation -- in SCHIZOID MAN, they do some goofy touch & go downwarp where they are out of warp for only long enough to beam a landing party, then zap back into warp -- they sure as shit don't use impulse to get out of each system!), without any fear of creating wormholes or anything else.

I wish they'd pushed the environmental angle even further ... I didn't think the 'warp drive messing up space' was such a good idea, because it was too far-reaching and would mess up the series to follow (which is why they blew it off to the degree they did) ... it would have been better to find out replication was bad for spacetime (a pitch they turned down in 1990), since we could have given the magic box technology a rest and made things a little more relatable for real-world audiences.

--------------------
Achievement is its own reward; pride obscures it.

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

But in 1990, they'd only had replicators for 3 years. I doubt the audience were sick of them then.

In fact, I doubt the audience ever got sick of replicators. To the layman, they functioned just like TOS's magic food tunnels.

I'm sure the "we shouldn't warp inside a system" has been mentioned elsewhere on Trek, but I'm blown if I can remember where. The only instance that comes to mind is the Borg Cube and the Enterprise dropping out of warp while still at Saturn in BOBW. If the Enterprise was in such a hurry, you'd think they'd have dropped out of warp right over Earth.

--------------------

kmart
Member # 1092

- posted      Profile for kmart     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PsyLiam:
But in 1990, they'd only had replicators for 3 years. I doubt the audience were sick of them then.

I was sick of them; that's why I pitched the idea, as a desperate alternative to a space garbage pitch they didn't like (I think they were reminded of that Disney pilot EARTHSTAR VOYAGER, which had a throwaway bit about a ring of crap circling the Earth), since they were wanting environmental stories even back then.

I figured the BOBW Saturn shots were done just because they already had an fx shot of Saturn on hand, not out of any weird TMP continuity concern. In fact, I think they used it a couple years before, on UP A LONG LADDER, if not on the original title sequence.

--------------------

djewell
Member # 1111

I always thought Replicators were cool. Maybe if its urgent enough, then you're allowed to drop out of warp at Saturn instead of outside the solar system.

--------------------

-Einstein

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

Everyone I knew loved replicators too. I mean, the holodeck was cool but got boring with the constant breakdowns, but replicators? Pure fun.

What has caused this anti-replicator resentment within you, alternative-to-walmart? Did you have the patent, but evil Rob Justman broke into your house and stole it? And wee-weed all over your bed?

--------------------

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The "warp drive is tricky close to gravity wells" thing has long been an undercurrent in fandom, and I think a logical one. (I mean, if you're warping space, it seems only natural that you'd want as little interference as possible.)

In my own personal interpretation, warping around in a system is more dangerous than doing it outside of one, but not an incredible risk. Consider the episode of DS9 with the changeling and the supernova-inducing bomb, and Kira's reluctance to go to warp so close to the Bajoran primary. (And in this case, it was really, really close, which makes sense if its a sliding scale of difficulty.)

kmart
Member # 1092

quote:
Originally posted by PsyLiam:
Everyone I knew loved replicators too. I mean, the holodeck was cool but got boring with the constant breakdowns, but replicators? Pure fun.

What has caused this anti-replicator resentment within you, alternative-to-walmart? Did you have the patent, but evil Rob Justman broke into your house and stole it? And wee-weed all over your bed?

24th Century is just way too far removed from reality for me, and not in a credible way. Technically, replication is not magic box/something for nothing, but it is so close that it comes off the same way.

I also think you need to limit the number of out-there aspects in any future universe, or you build up anti-credibility. That thing Sam Hamm said about fantasy stories (adapting WATCHMEN, I think) was: you can have Tom Hanks as an android, or Tom Hanks in love with a mermaid. But if Tom Hanks is an android in love with a mermaid, you've got too many leaps of fantasy to sustain. NextGen and most ModernTrek (except DS9) plays like that.

And for me, replication just makes things way too easy to solve ... problem issues that are and will remain major major issues for the forseeable future. By sidestepping all that, ModernTrek ignores a whole set of compelling dramatic scenarios that could play a lot more effectively than what they did instead (usually some masturbatory holodeck thing.)

--------------------

kmart
Member # 1092

quote:
Originally posted by Sol System:
Consider the episode of DS9 with the changeling and the supernova-inducing bomb, and Kira's reluctance to go to warp so close to the Bajoran primary. (And in this case, it was really, really close, which makes sense if its a sliding scale of difficulty.)

Just as easily, you can consider the yr 5 NextGen opener that had klingon ships practically falling into the sun before engaging warp drive. Complete opposite of what you're citing. I kinda think Ron Moore snagged this bit from a Diane Duane Trek novel, but in that novel there WAS an acknowledgement of science, where going to warp so close would make the star go nova, instead of just blowing solar fart gas on pursuers, which I think is what happened on TNG.

And on TOS you have Enterprise warping TOWARD the sun in TOMORROW IS YESTERDAY and the teaser of OPERATION ANNIHILATE. And Scotty offering to have the ship warping out of orbit within a second of getting an order to do so in NAKED TIME ... the number of warp us out of orbit shows is probably in the dozens.

--------------------

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

That's because our crew is INDESTRUCTIBLE!!!

And regarding the opening of "Redemption, part II", the moment Worf's BOP goes to warp, a massive solar flare shoots up and engulfs the following ships. That's surely not healthy?

--------------------

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

And, again, nobody has said doing that is impossible, or even uniformly risky.
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps