Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Warp Speed Limit (Page 4)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Warp Speed Limit
kmart
Member # 1092

- posted      Profile for kmart     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PsyLiam:
quote:
Originally posted by blssdwlf:
There might be other episodes post Season 1 of TNG that have no-streak stars.

Name one that isn't a mistake, and I'll shut up. Better yet, name one that has a PLANET in the same shot as the ship is at warp while the stars aren't streaking, and I'll show everyone my big pants.
There are a handful of shots in the earlier seasons with the -D coming toward camera, and suddenly streaking AHEAD to fill the camera view as the last shot. I've always seen those as warp drive startup shots from a different perspective, one that doesn't show the rubberband, and I believe Legato has mentioned that they tried different perspectives on occasion to avoid using the few stock shots from ILM and that weird side view stretch from WHERE NO ONE HAS GONE BEFORE.

I wish I could be more specific, but I dislike most NextGens and haven't rewatched a complete episode in a couple years.

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But they don't count because, as you say, that's the ship going to warp, not actually being at warp.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

blssdwlf
Member # 1024

- posted      Profile for blssdwlf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Whoa now mr big pants [Smile]

BOBW is season 3/4 and hmmmm the Enterprise goes from Point A to Point B faster than light, or some might even say at Warp Speed or I'd guess at Very Fast Impulse(TM). But it didn't have to show streaking stars if it was covered in dialogue.

OTOH, if everytime a "mistake" happens where no streaks are shown while they are suppose to be in warp then we shouldn't pay attention to the dialog. Afterall, the characters are just fictitious. Telling fictitious stories. On a fictitious TV show. Based on a older fictitious TV show. That had no streaking stars. [Big Grin]

quote:
Originally posted by PsyLiam:
quote:
Originally posted by blssdwlf:
There might be other episodes post Season 1 of TNG that have no-streak stars.

Name one that isn't a mistake, and I'll shut up. Better yet, name one that has a PLANET in the same shot as the ship is at warp while the stars aren't streaking, and I'll show everyone my big pants.

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Go home...

--------------------
Hey, it only took 13 years for me to figure out my password...

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So to prove that they are at warp even though there are no streaking stars in BOBW part 2 you are using the precedent of BOBW part 2?

You should be a lawyer, seriously.

And (again), Riker orders Wes to drop to impulse. Hence, they aren't at warp. You could argue that they are at near light speed, and time dialations are coming into effect, but you can't argue that they are at warp. Because they're not.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps