Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » SWDAO: Woden - DY-100 class? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: SWDAO: Woden - DY-100 class?
Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Woden is the unmanned freighter from TOS: "The Ultimate Computer". Due to budget limitations of the 60's the studio model of Khan's Botany Bay was reused for this purpose. Is the Woden really a DY-100 class ship like the Botany Bay? The fact that the Botany Bay was still operationial 270 years after it was launched suggests that it was a pretty good design. There are, however, serious objections despite the screen evidence:

1) The DY-100 is a ship design from the late 20th century without warp or even impulse drive. Maybe they have been completely rebuilt by 2268, but it's a bit like a wooden sailing ship in a modern navy, there is a point where the whole construction is inevitably useless.

2) Most probably the ships of this class (built as early as 1996 in the Trek timeline) have not survived the Eugenic Wars and the Third World War.

[This message was edited by Bernd on June 08, 1999.]

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, the fact that the Botany Bay was still operationial 270 years after it was launched suggests that it was a pretty good design. If it was only an intra-stellar-system freighter (even though we didn't really see any planets or anything in the vicinity), and it didn't have any people on it, I can imagine that they might use a DY-100...

------------------
"Bite the wax tadpole."
-translation of Coca-Cola's original Chinese name

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't like this idea, and taking into account that rebuilding a very old ship is connected with a whole lot of problems, it would be only worth while, if there were plenty of them left.
Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

*uppermost post edited*
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To jump into noncanon speculation for a minute, following the invention of the warp drive, and given our species inclination toward wandering, it stands to reason that there would be something of a minor exodus off planet. Strapping on warp drives to existing ships, like the good old DY classes, would have saved time and energy. Hence, many of these vessels could have been drafted into service. The designs having proved adequate, colonies might have duplicated these old designs, explaining why some were still in use long after the originals had passed away.

------------------
"Gone savage for teenagers with automatic weapons and boundless love."
--
Soul Coughing

Captain Stark
Member # 70

- posted      Profile for Captain Stark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Additional non-cannon information. FASA (ducks those throwing tomatoes) listed the Woden as a Zeus Class Robot Freighter (IIRC) based off of the design of the old DY-100 Class. I'll have to find the exact text and post it here.

BTW those keeping track this was my 47th Post on this message board.

------------------
-=/\=-
Captain Stark
http://beam.to/readyroom

"The man on the top walks a lonely path. The chain of command is often a noose." Dr. Leonard McCoy --Obsession, Stardate: 3619.2

[This message was edited by Captain Stark on June 09, 1999.]

Trinculo
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This discussion might be different if the writers had stuck to the original idea of the Third World War as found in "Space Seed". After the SS Botany Bay is found, Capt. Kirk, Cmdr. Spock, and Lt. Cmdr. McCoy are having a discussion about the transport. Cmdr. Spock states that the ship is from the Third World War where nations were destroyed and records lost. Lt. Cmdr. McCoy recognizes the war and gives its second name-the Eugenics War. (World War I-The Great War). He makes a pointed comment to Cmdr. Spock about the drive by scientists to create the perfect humans and how Cmdr. Spock could recognize such scientists. Sometime between this episode and the TNG, this one war became two separate wars. As for the dates, I have a habit of moving the dates forward. If the episode "Space Seed" takes place in 2267 and the SS Botany Bay had been lost in space for two hundred years, then the SS Botany Bay left Earth in the mid-21st century.

My own, revised view of history-
2048 to 2052 Third World War (Eugenics War)
2052 SS Botany Bay leaves Earth
2063 Phoenix tests warp drive
2074 Majority of earth ships have warp drive (2018 minus 1996 is 22; 2074-2052=22 years)

The SS Woden could be an upgraded ship from the same company that made the DY-100, DY-500, and the DY-750 transports. Considering that other classes might lie between DY-100 and DY-500, the SS Woden could be a DY-300 perhaps.

[This message was edited by Trinculo on June 09, 1999.]

IP: Logged
Starbuck
"Replicate some marmalade, Commander - helm control is toast!"
Member # 153

- posted      Profile for Starbuck     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Seems pretty plausible.
Mike Okuda's "official" DY-300 design for the SS Mariposa ("Up the Long Ladder", I think) is based pretty heavily on Matt Jefferies' original design, and some other books (one of which, if memory serves, is the Star Trek Spaceflight Chronology) shows some other DY-type ships.
Starfleet have a history of design "families", as do other navies - witness the Constitution (and its refit), Amabssador and Galaxy classes, or perhaps the Miranda, Soyuz and Nebula. These ships are all built to the same sort of shapes (the Excelsior and Sovereign are another "family", as are the Daedalus and Olympic), and shipbuilders have done the same thing for centuries.
So why couldn't the Woden be a later, warp-capable type of DY ship, or maybe a refitted DY-100?

Answer: It's possible, but the Woden and the Botany Bay only *looked* the same cause they had to use the same model

Anyone who's seen the original series sketchbook knows how similar the Botany Bay turned out to Jefferies' original concepts, compared to most of his other ship desighs

------------------
----------------------------------
WARNING: Storing semtex in the microwave
may be hazardous to your health!

USS Vanguard
i hate clowns
Member # 130

- posted      Profile for USS Vanguard     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Isn't the Mariposa a DY-500 class?

------------------
"This should provide adequate sustenance for the Doctor Who marathon"
-Fat Sarcastic Comic Book Guy

Trinculo
Ex-Member

The SS Mariposa is a DY-500 class transport with the registry of NAR-7678. Her primary drive is atomic fusion. Information comes from the episode "Up the Long Ladder".

DY-100 "Space Seed"
DY-300 "Up the Long Ladder"
DY-400 "Up the Long Ladder" (?)
DY-500 "Space Seed"
DY-750 Official Timeline of Star Trek

Based on the above, the first DY-100 class transport was launched in the 2030's or 2040's. Subsequent class, whatever that was, may have had warp capacity. Interestingly, the DY-500 didn't have warp nacelles like the SS Valiant.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, you mentioned Spock's calling the Eugenics War World War III in "Space Seed". I always assumed that this was due to his own limited knowledge of Terran history, or maybe just a misstatement. That's why McCoy had to point out that he meant the Eugenics War.

------------------
"I ran into Charlie Fogg.
He blacked my eye, and he kicked my dog.
My dog turned to me, and he said,
'Let's head back to Tennessee, Jed.'"
-The Grateful Dead, "Tennessee Jed"

Trinculo
Ex-Member

Cmdr. Spock is reading from the library banks. Before the discussion began, he is in the process of closing his investigation of the SS Botany Bay. He can be seen fiddling with the controls. Cmdr. Spock is giving the information he obtained to Capt. Kirk for analysis and discussion. The question is, is the library computer wrong or is there a misunderstanding by the current writers and producers of this conversation? I opt for the latter.
Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

Someone has an image of a DY-300 or DY-500 class? I have never seen one.
Trinculo
Ex-Member

In the episode "Up the Long Ladder", there is a picture of a DY-500 class transport. The picture can be also found in, I believe, the continuing missions or the art of star trek.
Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here it is

------------------
http://frankg.dgne.com/
"Let's get those missiles ready to destroy the universe!" - TMBG

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps