Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » SWDAO: Woden - DY-100 class? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: SWDAO: Woden - DY-100 class?
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Perhpas the computer's library mentioned something about the Eugenics War being referred to by some as the third World War. Spock didn't know enough about Terran history to realize that there was a later war which was more often called World War III.

------------------
"I ran into Charlie Fogg.
He blacked my eye, and he kicked my dog.
My dog turned to me, and he said,
'Let's head back to Tennessee, Jed.'"
-The Grateful Dead, "Tennessee Jed"

Trinculo
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TSN:
The library computer aboard the USS Enterprise is not the internet.

Personnally, I feel that the history of Star Trek is as fucked as many other aspects of the four series-the science, the registries, etc. After watching the original many times, I feel that the Federation came into being in the mid-2250's after the Axanar Peace Treaty. In one episode, "Whom Gods Destroy", Kirk spoke of a vision which brought different races together by the people of Axanar. This could be the Federation. Further, Kirk said in "The Mark of Gideon" that the galaxy was at peace. This suggests that before the Treaty of Axanar the galaxy was in a state of war. All this evidence was ignored by the later writers and producers. (And no I don't believe the Federation existed before 2240 if I followed the original's history. There are too many references to Earth this, Earth that.)

However, the history has been revised and many elements of the original history have been minimized or eliminated. I am not sure who did this or why. So, now we have threads of history that don't fit. The issue of World War III and the Eugenics War is one such thread. In the original, these two wars were the same. There can be no overlooking this fact and the fact can't be explained away.

[This message was edited by Trinculo on June 10, 1999.]

IP: Logged
Cargile
Nobody Special
Member # 45

- posted      Profile for Cargile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just something I caught: all rockets are impulse engines if they eject mass for propulsion. The Space Shuttle uses three impulse engines. The term impulse is used to mean that the drive produces thrust as opposed to the contiuum distortion drive.

------------------
"Minsk."

Cmdr Worf

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The reason why the history of the Federation is skewed is because Roddenberry didn't have all the details worked out until well into TOS, and didn't get a chance to polish his ideas until TNG. There are no "horrible" discontinuties. So Kirk talks about Earth a lot. So does Janeway, and the rest of the crew of Voyager. Earth is the capitol. Do references to UESPA, or Space Command, mean that Starfleet doesn't exist? No.

------------------
"Gone savage for teenagers with automatic weapons and boundless love."
--
Soul Coughing

Trinculo
Ex-Member

The errors in Star Trek would require the presence of several large tomes. Let's return to the topic of the Woden and her class. If I remember correctly, the DY-750 bore some resemblance to the SS Woden.
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, the Eugenics War/WW3 thing can be explained away. I just did. I can easily imagine the ship's databanks reading "In the late twentieth century, the entirety of Terra was plunged into war by a race of genetically engineered 'superhumans'. In places, this war was so destructive that people of the time often referred to it as 'World War III'." Now, if Spock didn't realize at the time that WW3 wasn't the official name, and that there was another WW3 later on, it's perfectly feasible that he would refer to it as the "third World War", through a simple misunderstanding of what he read.

------------------
"I ran into Charlie Fogg.
He blacked my eye, and he kicked my dog.
My dog turned to me, and he said,
'Let's head back to Tennessee, Jed.'"
-The Grateful Dead, "Tennessee Jed"

Trinculo
Ex-Member

On the website Where No One Has Gone Before, there are pictures of the DY-100 and the DY-750 class transports.
Link is-
Http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Zone/6630/Gallery3.html

TSN-
I have decided to call an end to our little debate.

Can someone get my link to work? Thank you.

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It seems Geocities has restricted access to their pages to exclude referers from outside.

It works if you go the homepage
Http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Zone/6630/
and follow the link to gallery3.

What I dislike most (apart from hopelessly outdated designs being used in the 2260's) is that there are two concurring designs for early starships: the DY familiy and the Phoenix/Valiant family. It seems that the DY family has been built for centuries, as if warp drive hadn't been invented in the meantime. No need to mention I like the Phoenix and Valiant much more.

BTW: Is there any more information on the Charybdis, except that it was a NASA ship?

TSN: I follow your explanation of the WWIII problem.

Trinculo
Ex-Member

The Charybdis information from the episode "The Royale" is rather sparse. It is essentially a repeat of the information spoken vocally in the episode. There is no class nor picture information on the Charbydis. After the Charbydis, there is another flight-the Jacob. (Star Trek: The Continuing Missions)

TSN, Bernd:
There are so many issues involved with the Third World War and the Eugenics War that I decided instead to concentrate on the SS Woden and her class issue.

The issues involved-
Technological
Chronological
Scientific

This matter has been debated here and elsewhere. The conclusion-either you accept the Okudas interpretion of history or you don't. There is no middle ground for pride and ego are involved. And I don't. I feel that you (TSN, Bernd) do accept the history. And so there is no point in continuing this discussion.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps