Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » $$ Tech in a New Direction ["The Xindi" SPOILERS] (Page 4)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: $$ Tech in a New Direction ["The Xindi" SPOILERS]
Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I liked the look of the Council. The insectoid guy was great too - though admittedly, a Xindi that wasn't even remotely humanoid would be interesting, as the aquatics were also quad-limbed. Still, I'm glad at this approach.

I further think that revealing them all right off was a good decision, as can now interact without needing to be in shadow or anything. Plus, there's the added dramatic tool of US knowing who the bad guys are when Archer and company do not. Don't mind that at all.

Regarding the MACO insignia, The Sargeant guy and Major Hayes wore the same bar on the right shoulder. It may not be a rank insignia.

Also, I hope we get some background on these weapons. They have to be plasma-based, or some particle weapon that the MACOs simply prefer over what Starfleet believes are superior weapons in their phase technology. The MACOs carry the pain stick on their belt behind, where the pistol holster also is. Still no headgear, one might note.

And did anyone notice in some of the VFX flybys, Enterprise seems to roll as if to get out of the way of the camera, and then roll BACK to her original orientation? Hmm...

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ohh! I just remembered one BIG tech thing:

In the shots when the NX-01 went to warp, they added a bit of color to create the rainbow effect we saw during the TOS movies! THAT was a bit of a change...

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The only other occurrence of different sentient species on the same planet that comes to mind are the Mon Calamari and the Quarren from Star Wars. Any others?

The Centauri and the Xon on B5, as well as the Hyach and the Hyach-do. Both surviving species wiped out the dead one. Of course, the Hyach-do could apparently interbreed with Hyach, so they couldn't qualify as a true seperate species, more a racial group.

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Based on the shared DNA, it would seem that three (or possdibly all four) Xindi species are the product of genetic tampering/ splicing somewhere in their distant history by an advanced species.

The analgy was made between Humans and Monkeys sharing DNA but being seperate, but that is false.
No matter how you screw with a monkey's DNA (it's better you don't ask how I know this) all you get is variants on the original monkey design: no monkey insects, monkey dolphins or monkey reptiles.
Just mutant monkeys.
Mabye they were Preserver experiments?

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by CaptainMike20X6:
i liked 'Strange New World' , and i remember liking 'Code of Honor' when i was a kid

but 'Dear Doctor' was retarded. they tried to set up a morally thought provoking story, and ended up leaving the audience completely confused as to what the hell happened..

By 'audience' don't you mean... 'you'?

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mark Nguyen:

-I like the new command center, though it has no seats for its multitude of consoles. One wonders if all the stations would ever be used at once, cramped in like that. I believe that the big display is made from bits of obs lounge in "Nemesis".

Did they change the Bridge?
quote:

-Speaking of which, the command center was a storage room before. What with this, the new machinery for the torpedoes, and all the space the MACOs need, it seems that Starfleet doesn't have a long-term mission in mind. I highly doubt they completely overhauled the ship and miniaturized everything to the point that all the new stuff wouldn't affect the endurance of the ship; I wonder if they'll ever run into a Voyager-esque scrounging or resource problem.

Not that Voyager ever looked like it was desperate for parts! It always looked brand-spanking new.
quote:

-Ahh, the MACOs. Nice uniforms, though as camo it's awfully minimal. Also nice to see that they're all from places in the US - Minnesota and Altanta nevertheless see lots of aliens apparently. Oddly, the MACOs seem quite landlocked under normal circumstances. I guess Starfleet hasn't yet needed troops of any kind in their exploration.

Didn't Tucker say that he'd only been to a few uninhabited planets before the Enterprise mission? So I'm guessing all the other ships don't get very far.

Besides why do these Commandoes have to be US soldiers? How about some Russians or even the Gurkas.
quote:

-Remember a TNG episode when the Enterprise ran through a bunch of portable holes? One went through the conference lounge, piling all the furniture up in the middle of the room offscreen. I'd have liked to see that with the VFX seen in the cargo bay. [Smile]

What episode was THAT!?! Portable holes - wasn't that a Warner Brothers cartoon!?!

quote:

-The mining colony uses wind power - a rarity in Trek, even in this era. backup power, perhaps?

-It's a FAAAAAAAAKE! Platinum naturally occurs as a solid, no?

Oohhhhhhh! Shivers!!!! OMG! That line still resonates with me. By the Romulan Senator in "Beyond the Pale Moonlight"

how bloody brilliant was DS9!?! *sigh*
quote:

-The Xindi reptiles and humanoids are related as neanderthals and us. One wonders how much the other species are... The only other occurrence of different sentient species on the same planet that comes to mind are the Mon Calamari and the Quarren from Star Wars. Any others?

The Menk and the others from "Dear Doctor".

The Kes and the Pritt?

That season 5 episode on Babylon 5.

Who were the Quarren on Star Wars?
quote:

-Why the hell do the sewers have to glow? Do one of the thirty-one species that create the stuff..?

-Hayes addresses Reed as "sir". Is anyone familiar with the pay grades of the US military able to justify something here - or is it just the chain of command in evidence on the ship?

-Reed asks Hayes to choose six men to accompany him on the rescue mission. Assuming they considered that Pod One might not be useable, that's more than a tight squeeze in those pods.

New Auxillary Craft on the way??

quote:

-Let's talk MACO tech! Weapons-wise, they have a spiffy rifle with a deployable sight, what looks to be the old plasma pistols (Yes! I loved those), and some sort of zapper stick. Neat - I wonder what other stuff they carry in those backpacks. Indcidentally, the rifles are NOT phase weapons as we know them. Plasma again? It's a white pulse. Anyone else notice any details?

-Upon escape, T'pol directs the two pods to dock simpultaneously. It makes sense for them to dock individually otherwise, I guess.

-Hey, didn't they say we were gonna see a brig?

-Y'know, for a guy who had no qualms about rubbing T'pol down with blue goo in the pilot...

Mark

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
What episode was THAT!?! Portable holes - wasn't that a Warner Brothers cartoon!?!
"In Theory"
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"It looks like it only has two arms as well, a wasted oppertunity really since they could have made it look entirely insectoid (and not just a humanoid with insect body parts) considering that it looks like they're using a puppet."

Now, the local UPN station here is a pretty crappy one that carried the Home Shopping Network up until about a year ago, so ENT came through pretty staticky when I watched it last night. However, I thought the insect and marine Xindi were both CGI?

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They were.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Kes and the Pritt?

Same species, just different nations on the same planet.

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

J
Member # 608

- posted      Profile for J     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
DS9 episode with the Blight? Were they different species?

According to the prophets they are of Bajor.

I guess it doesn't count, but the Dinos from that Voyager episode.

Humm... nothing else comes to mind at the moment.

Is the whole point of this to talk about how there have only been two at most in all other sci-fi instances, and the Xindi are 5?

--------------------
Later, J
_ _ _ _ _ ___ _ _ _ _ _
The Last Person to post in the late Voyager Forum. Bashing both Voyager, Enterprise, and "The Bun" in one glorious post.

[email protected]
http://webj.cjb.net

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's quite possible the Xindi are Preserver experiments or the product of a original species that tweaked it's own DNA to thrive in the various environments of it's homeworld/ solar system.

Or the Delphic Expanse does Very Bad Things to evolution.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

You mean like amplifying the appearances of CGI?

--------------------

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Or making T'Pol undress and Trip somehow turn all gay and try to leave the room.
What a dumbass. [Big Grin]

It appears that Porthos (A.K.A.- Futureguy) has disapeared yet again.
$10 says the Sulibon (not to be confused with Cinnibon) are behind the Xindi hating Earth.

Just a likely plot "twist".

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So. . . is the sniper rifle the same as the MACO rifle? I can't tell!

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps