Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » $$ Tech in a New Direction ["The Xindi" SPOILERS] (Page 5)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: $$ Tech in a New Direction ["The Xindi" SPOILERS]
Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think the other rifles had retractable scopes (if only because it would've been expensive.. unless these are some stock rifles from some Paramount production?). Plus, the sniper rifle fired red, all the other ones fired blue.

Oh, and it seemed like one particular MACO guy was ordered to take the shot, implying that the other MACOs weren't snipers.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All I can see from the images available is that both rifles have a similar muzzle (also similar to that of the EM-33). . . but the sniper rifle has a longer barrel that protrudes beyond the rifle's cowling. And it may not have the forward pistol grip. There is precedent for different variants of the same rifle for specific purposes. . .

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The sniper rifle didn't fire a red bolt. Everything through the scope was shaded red, perhaps a low-light amplification artifact. Anyway, I watched the episode again this evening, and the rifle looked pretty similar to me. I wouldn't be surprised if they all were supposed to have the scopes, even if only a few of the props have the retractable action.
David Templar
Saint of Rabid Pikachu
Member # 580

- posted      Profile for David Templar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I still think that an energy weapon firing a highly visible and tracer-like discharge makes for an utterly stupid snipering weapon.

--------------------
"God's in his heaven. All's right with the world."

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It occurs to me that while we can see (quite easily) weapons fire on the show(s), whether or not it's as visible to the characters is an open question. I don't recall anyone reacting to it based on (unaided) sight alone. Not that this is an overly serious suggestion on my part, but just something that caught my attention just now.
Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Indeed - how often on Trek to people see phaser fire? It's always "Listen! Phaser fire!".

Furthermore, the snipering guy proably wasn't specifically a sniper. The gang was being pinned down on one side of the pod, where the bad guy was concentrating his fire. Hayes called for the guy inside the pod to move to the other side and fire from there. Not really snipering, per se. If anything, the bad guy was the sniper, and the gang had a problem getting his location DESPITE the bright yellow beams (not pulses) he was shooting. Yeah.

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

David Templar
Saint of Rabid Pikachu
Member # 580

- posted      Profile for David Templar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've seen military types get into heated arguments about what is a sniper and what isn't... Some believe the title is appropriate for anyone engaged in such activity, some see it as belonging only to the elite position someone has been trained for.

--------------------

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Besides, are war movies ruined because we can't always see the bullets flying through the air? I don't think so.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
By TNG phaser fire is definitely visible.
Heck, not only is it visible in Consparicy, it's slow enough for Picard and Riker to dodge it and watch it hit the wall behind them!
[B]Years [B]ahead of the Matrix even!

If anything is odd about Enterprise, it's their more effective weapons.
Sure, TOS and TNG phasers are more powerful but Enterprise's fast firing phase pistols are easily enough to stun or kill.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Phaser blasts occasionally light up their surroundings too. Usually when the producers had a bit of spare cash lying around, although it's become more common over time. That would also imply that they are visible.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

TheWoozle
Member # 929

- posted      Profile for TheWoozle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Since these guys are PROBOBLY Some sort of special forces, they ALL probobly have expert rifleman and marksmanship ratings. Think about who would go on a cruiser today, going on a raid half way around the world. heck, they would have sent Steven Segal if he was available.

--------------------
joH'a' 'oH wIj DevwI' jIH DIchDaq Hutlh pagh
(some days it's just not worth chewing through the leather straps in the morning)
The Woozle!

David Templar
Saint of Rabid Pikachu
Member # 580

quote:
Originally posted by TheWoozle:
heck, they would have sent Steven Segal if he was available.

We still haven't seen Chef, so who knows, maybe Segal is onboard... Nobody beats him in the kitchen. [Big Grin]

--------------------

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or he's Chef from Southpark. [Wink]

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, if only we could write off Enterprise as one long search for the clitoris. . .

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

David Templar
Saint of Rabid Pikachu
Member # 580

quote:
Originally posted by Lee:
Oh, if only we could write off Enterprise as one long search for the clitoris. . .

It's already found the boobies, so I think it's doing pretty well for a season three. Just a matter of time. [Big Grin]

--------------------

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps