Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » $$$ Sexy Tech! ["Raijin" Spoilers] (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: $$$ Sexy Tech! ["Raijin" Spoilers]
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Harry:
I would almost dare say the Xindi have the same transwarp technology as Lore's Borg. The VFX were as good as identical, and Mayweather could only describe what he saw as "some sort of vortex", so it's not something he recognized.

The Xindi ships looked like a mix between Nausicaan and Son'a.

I noticed a bit of So'na look to the Xindi ships as well: I wonder if each species of Xindi has their own ships or are the ships made to accomidate all species?

The Xindi "fade away" is the smae effect as the enterance into an Anomaly so mabye that's what the sphere's are intended to do: transport starships long distances (like a spaceborne version of an Iconian gateway) and the sphere's are wearing down over the aeons causing the spacial anomalies.

That's my theory anyway. [Wink]

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Now there's an idea - the sphere tie into the transportation system. I mean, they can' be there JUST to cause the anomalies... And come to think of it, don't they somewhat resemble the probe that attacked Earth somewhat?

Something more about the potential casualties in this episode: it'd be very interesting if they lost a lot of the crew, and actually pulling an "Equinox" as a result. How many people can they lose before it affects ship performance? Even on Voyager, they said they could make it with fewer than 100 people aboard...

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is it just me, or do the reptilian Xindi remind anyone else of the head bad guy from "Galaxy Quest"?

B.J.

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TSN:
"Unfortunately, the kEWl special effects were so detailed that I figured out right away that the title character was basically supposed to be a walking tricorder for the Xindi."

Can you explain this? UPN is on a rather low-budget station here, so the reception is horrible. The visual effects tend to get lost in the fuzz...

When Raijin was running her hands across Archer, T'Pol, and whoever else she was hamming it up with (you probably heard the sound effects), we could see UNDER the victim's skin, to their internal organs -- vertebrae, brain, lungs, et cetera. With that kind of gruesome detail -- not pleasure-inducing, at least for this viewer -- it did not seem like Raijin was their for what the UPN promos suggested she was.

As for those Xindi ships -- for the first brief shot of them, I was actually thinking of those tiny three-pronged Minbari fighters from B5. But once I got a better look at them, the Xindi ships are obviously much flatter. Still, it's pretty cool that they are widest at the front section, and then taper down towards the rear.
quote:
Originally posted by Mark Nguyen:
Now there's an idea - the sphere tie into the transportation system. I mean, they can' be there JUST to cause the anomalies... And come to think of it, don't they somewhat resemble the probe that attacked Earth somewhat?

Hey yeah... that Xindi mini-Death Star did seem to come completely out of nowhere in the finale last season. At the time, I'd simply assumed that it was a cloaking device of some kind... but Mayweather simply called it a "vortex." I assume he's intelligent enough, after all the ship's experience with the Suliban, to recognize the difference between a mysterious cloaking device and a mysterious FTL transportation system.
quote:
Originally posted by BJ_O:
Is it just me, or do the reptilian Xindi remind anyone else of the head bad guy from "Galaxy Quest"?

LMAO!

Anyone want to place bets as to whether the Xindi will code-name their planet-destroying weapon the "Omega-13"? [Big Grin]

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I still find it mildly interesting that both the Kzinti and the Xindi use(d) spherical ships...

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"The Xindi council makes another appearance, and I'm under the impression that the moderate aquatic Xindi are the leading faction, at least at the table. They probably don't go into space themselves, given the awkwardness of space travel in liquid compared to the air-breathers."

Is it really that much harder to move a bubble of water through space than a bubble of air?

"Archer states that they're on a diplomatic mission. I think this is the first time they've done so... Is he still thinking of peace first? Is the use of violence less of a last resort now?"

One wouldn't think so, from the way he acts. He seems very reluctant to mention the real reason e wants to find the Xindi. "Diplomatic mission" was probably just a nice way of phrasing it.

"The makeshift lab is pretty wierd, being a nondescript and very small room. Did they set up shop in a closet? Why are Trip and T'pol in the closet?"

Well, they weren't in a real lab. Thye said they had to set one up "on E-deck, behind the emergency bulkheads" or something like that. Maybe that was the only room available that had enough electrical outlets for their machinery.

"The Xindi (mostly reptilians with at least one insectoid in the mix) came in thorugh the starboard airlock, after blowing the inner door away. They probably did the same thing with the outer door."

I'm guessing it was just the inner door. If they blew out both doors, it would have caused a hull breach when their ship pulled away.

"When Raijin was running her hands across Archer, T'Pol, and whoever else she was hamming it up with (you probably heard the sound effects), we could see UNDER the victim's skin, to their internal organs -- vertebrae, brain, lungs, et cetera."

Ah. Yeah, I couldn't see that detail through the static. I thought it was just flashy lights moving around on their skin. Though I did notice that it looked like T'Pol's spine was exposed for some strange reason.

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
>Is it really that much harder to move a bubble
>of water through space than a bubble of air?

In the early days of space travel, you betcha - even today, the thing NASA tends to worry about a LOT is the water they take up with them. It's bloody heavy, not static, and if it leaks it can muck stuff up a zillion times more than air. If the Xindi weren't given their spaceflight technology, there's no way the aquatics would have developed space travel - not with four species of air-breathers to do it for you.

Now, obviously the aquatics CAN travel through space, as they had to get off their homeworld somehow. But as to their usefulness in space, I highly doubt they'd be regular crew on any Xindi ships.

>Well, they weren't in a real lab. Thye said they
>had to set one up "on E-deck, behind the
>emergency bulkheads" or something like that.
>Maybe that was the only room available that had
>enough electrical outlets for their machinery.

One wonders then why a normal lab wouldn't be proofed against stuff blowing up. Well, at least they aren't doing it in Engineering as they so often do in Trek...

>I'm guessing it was just the inner door. If they
>blew out both doors, it would have caused a hull
>breach when their ship pulled away.

True, and as they leave the ship, they do in fact close the intact outer door. But then if they could get through the outer door so easily, why not do the same with the inner? Did they want to surprise/attack/disable some of the defenders that way? OTOH, they obviously didn't need it on the way out, and they didn't have a problem with leaving the ship intact overall.

Mark

[ October 02, 2003, 02:50 PM: Message edited by: Mark Nguyen ]

--------------------

Mucus
Member # 24

- posted      Profile for Mucus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is it really that much harder to move a bubble of water through space than a bubble of air?

Might not be relevant in the ST era, but you would expect that water would help cushion g-force effects , plus there's the added bonus that living things used to an aquatic environment would probably find it easier to adapt to weightlessness eliminating the need for artificial gravity.

Interesting things might happen during a cabin leak/hull breach though.

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mark Nguyen:
>I'm guessing it was just the inner door. If they
>blew out both doors, it would have caused a hull
>breach when their ship pulled away.

True, and as they leave the ship, they do in fact close the intact outer door. But then if they could get through the outer door so easily, why not do the same with the inner? Did they want to surprise/attack/disable some of the defenders that way? OTOH, they obviously didn't need it on the way out, and they didn't have a problem with leaving the ship intact overall.

It's possible that the outer door has no locking mechanism? It occurs to me that in most circumstances, use of an airlock is cooperative. Also, perhaps whoever designed the airlocks was actually *thinking* (as opposed to Archer, who usually doesn't), and considered the possibility of hostile boarding through the airlocks. It would be better to let attackers in through the first door, thus negating the need to blow up said first door. That way, there wouldn't be that gaping hole in the hull after the attackers broke the atmosphere seal when their ship left.
quote:
Now, obviously the aquatics CAN travel through space, as they had to get off their homeworld somehow. But as to their usefulness in space, I highly doubt they'd be regular crew on any Xindi ships.
Any aquatic being would be nearly useless in their native environment aboard a starship. Not only would their environment have to be completely waterproofed -- including any buttons or other equipment that would be adapted to their use inside the tanks -- but they would also be completely unable to effect any mechanical repairs, because there's no way for them to get access!

Therefore, they'd have to be nothing more than specialized passengers, or else scientists (at the most) relying on normal humanoids for the heavy lifting.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

Like the dolphins, yes.

>Any aquatic being would be nearly useless in
>their native environment aboard a starship. Not
>only would their environment have to be
>completely waterproofed -- including any buttons
>or other equipment that would be adapted to
>their use inside the tanks -- but they would
>also be completely unable to effect any
>mechanical repairs, because there's no way for
>them to get access!

It's not THAT tough... I mean, air is just another kind of fluid, just less dense and in a different phase. If you filled up a "normal" ship with water and replaced the crew with gill-boys, it'd not be too different overall. I'd mostly be concerned with the hideous mass that the water would represent. In terms of sheer physics, I'd not like to have a crew that requires all THAT be lugged around.

Mark

--------------------

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Aquitic Xindi could certainly have their own ships adapted to an all awuatic environment.
Effecting repairs would just require using an EVA suit for the crew and the ship itself would probably need more bulkheads in case of hull breach (can't lose all that water!).
Think of it this way: nobody would try to forcibly board your ship! [Big Grin]

I just want the aquatic Xindi to yell....
"IT'S A TRAP!"

Just once....for nostalgia's sake.

Hey! Someone over at SM just brought up a really good point:
"That rash that Archer had in the beginning means that the data they got on him wasn�t quite right so either the weapon will have a flaw or they will use the virus from last week to fight it."
Smart thinking.

[ October 02, 2003, 07:12 PM: Message edited by: Jason Abbadon ]

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

Naww... Archer looked pretty much all better by the time they rescued the babe from the babe barge.

Mark

--------------------

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
At least they kinda remembered that Vulcan physiology might be a bit different from human. T'Pol's back seemed to have more muscles and a different spine. But the same skull-structure.

Mind you, I have no problems at all with T'Pol's physiology. None whatsoever [Smile]

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Ah that Hoshi, she sure is a cunning linguist isn't she?

Possibly the only time that joke actually fits the situation, so enjoy it. [Wink]

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
It's not THAT tough... I mean, air is just another kind of fluid, just less dense and in a different phase. If you filled up a "normal" ship with water and replaced the crew with gill-boys, it'd not be too different overall. I'd mostly be concerned with the hideous mass that the water would represent. In terms of sheer physics, I'd not like to have a crew that requires all THAT be lugged around.

Mark

Not to mention they'd be in trouble if they had any electrical problems...

--------------------
"I am an almost extinct breed, an old-fashioned gentleman, which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-bitch when it suits me." --Jubal Harshaw

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps