Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » $$$ Tech Two Pills and Call Me in the Morning ("Doctor's Orders" Spoilers) (Page 2)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: $$$ Tech Two Pills and Call Me in the Morning ("Doctor's Orders" Spoilers)
TheWoozle
Member # 929

- posted      Profile for TheWoozle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Manticore:
Something that I just remembered, doesn't it take !20 minutes to charge up the warp coils from a dead stop? I think that was the time mentioned in "Catwalk." And if it's the same reason as in The Naked Time, wouldn't it send them like four days back in time if they charged the things up any faster?

Maybe the quick-start is why he had to massage the controls and why they where bent out of alignment. I expect that they where at warp for only an hour or so.

--------------------
joH'a' 'oH wIj DevwI' jIH DIchDaq Hutlh pagh
(some days it's just not worth chewing through the leather straps in the morning)
The Woozle!

J
Member # 608

- posted      Profile for J     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Impulse still has time dilation affects, especially after you get past full impulse .25c, it's noticable at maximum impulse .75c. I don't know if this is sci or sci-fi, but it's what the TNG TM talks about.

I don't remember if .75 was maximum in that was what they would safely use or what it could reach period. However, would T'Pol's ETA be affected by time dilation in some way?

However, in any case... the crew, unless they got IV's hooked up to them, wouldn't survive that period of time.

--------------------
Later, J
_ _ _ _ _ ___ _ _ _ _ _
The Last Person to post in the late Voyager Forum. Bashing both Voyager, Enterprise, and "The Bun" in one glorious post.

[email protected]
http://webj.cjb.net

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And of course, all we get out of the wakeup process was Trip being hungry. Being in a coma STILL leaves you with a number of autonomic functions that have to be taken care of. Even if Phlox was able to surpress their renal functions, for example, I was hoping that everyone as they were waking up would make the can their first destination. [Smile]

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Er, is this full impulse not being the same as maximum impulse something everyone has always known about, and I've just missed it?

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As I recall, it's in the TNGTM.
MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Concerning the cold start: Considering how long Phlox was poring over those manuals, doesn't it make sense that the engine could've been warming up in the mean time? That would've been the first part I would've read, anyway... "How to start the warp core." [Wink]

One thing I noticed, is that we've got a timestamp for this episode -- it's said that it's two days after the end of "Harbinger," which was on December 27. So that means that the crew spent New Years' in a coma. Hell, the could've hung out on the edge of the anomaly for two days, then had a big bash on New Years' Eve, and then have Phlox pilot them through at warp the next morning while they're all unconscious and hung over! [Big Grin]

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I doubt that New Year's Eve was something they had on their minds as a priority.

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."
-Gene Roddenberry about Star Trek

TheWoozle
Member # 929

- posted      Profile for TheWoozle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Christmas too, it would seem.

--------------------
joH'a' 'oH wIj DevwI' jIH DIchDaq Hutlh pagh
(some days it's just not worth chewing through the leather straps in the morning)
The Woozle!

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought they said they encountered "Harbinger"'s anomaly "several weeks ago" or something like that. Or was that a reference to something else?
J
Member # 608

- posted      Profile for J     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PsyLiam:
Er, is this full impulse not being the same as maximum impulse something everyone has always known about, and I've just missed it?

Been that way solidly since the TNG TM... but I do recall that there is an episode where they were at full impulse and then there was an order for maximum impulse.

.0625 c is quarter impulse
.125 c is half
.25 c is full
.75 c is maximum

And as I think I said, I'm fairly certain that the engines can exceed .75 c, but it's not recommended.

--------------------
Later, J
_ _ _ _ _ ___ _ _ _ _ _
The Last Person to post in the late Voyager Forum. Bashing both Voyager, Enterprise, and "The Bun" in one glorious post.

[email protected]
http://webj.cjb.net

Guardian 2000
Member # 743

- posted      Profile for Guardian 2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Regarding time dilation, we see a running clock during the scene of the doctor in Engineering. I can't tell on the copy I have how fast the thing is running . . . if it were running at normal speed, then the four days is at the ship's frame of reference. If it were running faster, then the clock would be showing the outside frame of reference.

--------------------
. . . ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam.

G2k's ST v. SW Tech Assessment

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TheWoozle:
quote:
Originally posted by Manticore:
Something that I just remembered, doesn't it take !20 minutes to charge up the warp coils from a dead stop? I think that was the time mentioned in "Catwalk." And if it's the same reason as in The Naked Time, wouldn't it send them like four days back in time if they charged the things up any faster?

Maybe the quick-start is why he had to massage the controls and why they where bent out of alignment. I expect that they where at warp for only an hour or so.
Maybe it also depends on how long the warp engines have been off for?

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Trip might have left them on "standby" just in case.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
BTW, did anyone with CC got the actual name of that spacemoth? It sounds like "Pican spacemoth"..

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It might have been Spican... as in from the Spica star system.

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps