Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » $$ Mutinous Tech! ["Hatchery" Spoilers] (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: $$ Mutinous Tech! ["Hatchery" Spoilers]
Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah. The guy's a good actor! They really oughta to use him. I know they hired people like him and Culp to be there in the event that they *might* get used in a serious role in the future, but in Kim's case his character is barely used for anything more than extras work.

As for Mayweather, I'm sure the actor made a mistake in asking for time off at the beginning of the season so he could do a one-shot standup comedy gig. They responded by basically writing him off the show for the first half of the season, and I'm sure he's not going to get his own episode until next year - assuming there is one.

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lee:
Er. . . Security girl? Wasn't that T'Pol in a baseball cap?

Yah: you're right....I was a bit distracted by family yapping during he episode.
Who was Reed's person stationed in te armory?
I missed the name but mabye it's the same guy that beamed down to the hatchery with trip?

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, let's talk about range here for a minute. This week we establish that a) they've got about 60% of their antimatter stores left, and b) these stores are shared with the photon(ic) torpedoes. Can we estimate the approximate duration of the ship's usual mission from this? All this season they've been running and fighting, and for all we know thye've been exlcusively using antimatter warheads.

We don't know when they left Earth, but they got back in "the Expanse" at the end of April 2153. With this episode being in January of the following year, they've been going full tilt for seven months or so, taking little time to stop and do much surveys or other activities that would keep them in place for more than a few days at time. From this data, and assuming that they haven't stopped to gas up since they left Earth, we can extrapolate that Enterprise has an operational range of at least two years of normal, non-constant warping around. This fits in comfortably with the notion that Enterprise had spent the previous two years "out there" with little indication that she was in need of more fuel. Not that they were ever REALLY far away from help, anyway...

Comments?

Mark

--------------------

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Makes sense.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mark Nguyen:
We don't know when they left Earth, but they got back in "the Expanse" at the end of April 2153. With this episode being in January of the following year, they've been going full tilt for seven months or so, taking little time to stop and do much surveys or other activities that would keep them in place for more than a few days at time. From this data, and assuming that they haven't stopped to gas up since they left Earth, we can extrapolate that Enterprise has an operational range of at least two years of normal, non-constant warping around. This fits in comfortably with the notion that Enterprise had spent the previous two years "out there" with little indication that she was in need of more fuel. Not that they were ever REALLY far away from help, anyway...

Comments?

Mark

Actually they left Earth for the Expanse roughly June 10, 2153. I had to do some digging but I found the old thread where I did the math on the timetable of the first couple episodes of the 3rd season which gave me the aforementioned date. So for the most part, they have been in the Expanse now for a little over 6 months.

--------------------
Hey, it only took 13 years for me to figure out my password...

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I chaecked out the early-opening door, it does look as if it opens almost before you hear the door-opening beep. . .

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Who was Reed's person stationed in te armory?"

T'Pol: "Who's on duty in the armory?"
Reed: "Ensign Welsh and two of my men."

"This episode featured an odd internal continuity flub. Right before the scene in sickbay where Phlox explains what happened, we see the ship at warp and T'Pol reporting that they've resumed their course to Azati Prime. In the Trip/Archer scene, however, Trip reports their status, saying that they've just recovered the last of the antimatter, and implying that they're still in orbit. The captain then says they need to 'get back on the road', and Trip is told to have Travis set a course for Azati Prime."

This may have been a mistake, but I think it's easily explained. Since Archer's just woken up, he doesn't realize they're already on the way. After he gives the order, Trip figures it's kinder to just say "yes, sir", than to let Archer know just how out of it he is.

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just nitpicking, but I found it kinda strange that Archer was shuttled back to the ship's sickbay after being sprayed by an unknown (possibly volatile) substance. That doesn't sound like a particularly safe routine. At least he should've been kept in decon, but preferably he should probably have been treated/examined on the surface.

Although, OTOH, Starfleet captains very rarely follow regulations...

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

TheWoozle
Member # 929

- posted      Profile for TheWoozle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe he was. Plox made it pretty clear that he thought it was just an irritant. They probobly assumed that there was a quick tricorder scan on the surface, then in Decon, Phlox would have determined that it wasn't dangerous to the rest of the ship. Wham, Bam, thank-you writer ma'am, for saving five minutes of screen time.

--------------------
joH'a' 'oH wIj DevwI' jIH DIchDaq Hutlh pagh
(some days it's just not worth chewing through the leather straps in the morning)
The Woozle!

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

They coulda beamed him up, too - it was just afterwards that we see Reed and Hayes shuttling up with corpses and combat ship in tow.

Mark

--------------------

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Some more generic points.

- Did the shuttles always have grapplers?

- So if Archer wasn't under the influence of the Stuff, he would've let the hatchlings die? I'm not sure I like that idea. Although he obviously goes a bit over the top.

- Insectoids have a lifespan of about 12 years.

- Awww! Look at the little baby Insectoid.

- Hayes is apparently both a good computer wizard and proficient in ship-to-ship battle.

- The later Insectoid ship was of a different design than the one crashed on the surface. I'm not sure which (if any) of them we saw earlier.

- I'm pretty sure that the HDTV version of this episode will result in pretty clear closeups of Hayes' shoulder patches.

- HA! That trolley they used to transfer the antimatter to the shuttle clearly couldn't have come through any of the ships's doors [Razz]

- MACOs train at West Point. Sounds familiar.

- Porthos makes a cameo.

- I disagree about the alleged continuity goof. "Returning the antimatter" can easily mean that they are getting the AM back from the shuttles (and somehow through the doors [Roll Eyes] ) back into the storage facility.

--------------------

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Harry:

- Did the shuttles always have grapplers?

At least since the episode with the cloned Trip.

B.J.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd have been more impressed wioth the episode if NOTHING was wrong with Archer except sleep deprevation.

All the reasons Archer gave to Trip after his shower were sensible and PIcard would have done exactly the dame thing without anyone questioning orders.

It was a moment of idealism that flew out the airlock once they started showing Archer get all irrational and sappy with the baby bugs crawling all over him.

I do think the Xindi ship that attacked Enterprise was the same make and model as the crashed ship: else the tactical knowledge wouldnt have worked so effectivly.

Regarding the Antimatter supply distance traveled, keep in mind that they havent fired off a ton of torpedos this season and that travel in the expanse is slow going due to both anomalies and them not having a clue where to look.
If they needed backup, I think the Intrepid could randevous within a couple of months at least and the Intrepid could be outfitted with Trelleum D for even faster travel.

I just want to see the damn Intrepid. [Big Grin]

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:

I do think the Xindi ship that attacked Enterprise was the same make and model as the crashed ship: else the tactical knowledge wouldnt have worked so effectivly.

But the reconstructed CGIs of the crashed vessel showed three 'wings', while the later vessel had only two wings, with two smaller thingies. IIRC.

--------------------

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

It's true. The crashed ship is the same type of tripartite ship they fought in "Twilight". the one that attacked them later is smaller, had three people aboard, and looked very different.

And let's not forget the even smaller combat shuttle, which they still have tucked away in the flight bay. Mind you, they seem to have lost the Suliban cell ship they'd kept from before... Perhaps they finally dropped it off at Earth? There've been a couple instances where it could've been useful this season.

Mark

--------------------

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps