Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » DS9 Rising (Page 3)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: DS9 Rising
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
SEE: HITLER ON ICE!

Ever see the TCM commercial where they're doing the Dirty Dozen on ice?
Absolutely the strangest and most brilliantly done promo I've ever seen.

Here: I found it for you.
About a third of the way down the page of goodies:
http://www.turnerclassicmovies.com/Multimedia/Video/0,,,00.html

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

J
Member # 608

- posted      Profile for J     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes... I only recently got a VCR, I also only recently got my own TV... and I got a VCR because at the time the only DVD-RW cost 500 dollars and only lasted for 4 hours on each disc... Fri-Mon can be 9 hours each day. A VCR was and still is the best choice--- well... actually if I could afford a TiVo device, but that's got a monthly payment [the bastards].

--------------------
Later, J
_ _ _ _ _ ___ _ _ _ _ _
The Last Person to post in the late Voyager Forum. Bashing both Voyager, Enterprise, and "The Bun" in one glorious post.

[email protected]
http://webj.cjb.net

Guardian 2000
Member # 743

- posted      Profile for Guardian 2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All I know is, the more available DS9 is, the better. TNG was the rebirth . . . DS9 was the culmination. Fuck Voyager.

There for awhile, my Trek fandom was waning, along with my interest in fiction in general. Deep Space Nine reminded me of the possibilities of fiction, and the rewards of it. But beyond that, it reminded me of what Trek was for me, and has become for me again.

As I've been acquiring DS9 on DVD, I've seen things I'd never seen before. DS9 wasn't available in my area after the first or second season, and what little I'd seen since was what a friend was able to snag from satellite feeds almost a decade ago, and what was available online since then. Sure, I'd read episode synopses, transcripts, Jammer's reviews . . . in my quest for tech info, I'd read it all.

But as I've watched the series, I've seen the fulfillment of Trek's potential. Voyager, Enterprise . . . even The Next Generation . . . in my personal opinion, these don't hold a candle to a Cardassian monstrosity and its extraordinary cast of characters.

It's funny, really. My limited exposure to DS9 from back in the day gave me a limited sense of the series. If each series could be said to have a texture and a color to it, then what little I knew of DS9 left it as dark and dingy and brocade. But now that I'm watching it all, I see more. I see the rainbow hues, and can appreciate the depth of that brocade fiber that before seemed so ugly and unfinished. Now I realize it is a tapestry, and a surprisingly beautiful and moving one.

I am a Niner. And, at the moment, a drunken Niner, but that's not important right now. And as I race through my newly-acquired Season Six, I can think of nothing better than the fact that others might come to know DS9 . . . on Spike or anywhere else. Then maybe there will be others who will look at this and understand, instead of just saying "the fuck was he drinking?"

That is all.

--------------------
. . . ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam.

G2k's ST v. SW Tech Assessment

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OH!
Look for the lone Sabre class starship that manages to survive both the re-taking of the station from the Dominion, but also the battle at Chintoka.

Each time they show it, it's zipping gracefully past all the other starships.

Worth watching in frame-by-frame.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Crewed by Andorians.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"You've become very odd."

When was he ever normal?

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by J:
DVD-RW cost 500 dollars and only lasted for 4 hours on each disc... Fri-Mon can be 9 hours each day.

If you're taping 9 hours of TV a day, there is something seriously wrong with you.

How on earth do you find time to watch it?

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

machf
Member # 1233

- posted      Profile for machf         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He probably doesn't. I know at least two persons just like that.
Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Further, how do you tape nine hours? I assume you mean while you're not home. Most standard VHS tapes will only do six, though I THINK I've seen eight.

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Eight isn't uncommon, as far as I know. But I've never seen anything higher.
J
Member # 608

- posted      Profile for J     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
two or more tapes... and I was exaggerating... And usually I watch it when nothing else is on, like right now.

PS: I mean, the fact that the computer is right by the TV... watching a 30 min show takes about 20 fast forward through the commercials... and a 1 hr show takes 45 min. Also, I sometimes record stuff I'm already watch, but I just erase it afterwards. It's only recorded in case I'm out.

And don't bash it, while the good shows are on during the weekend, during weekdays it's all crap. So it essentially equals out.

--------------------
Later, J
_ _ _ _ _ ___ _ _ _ _ _
The Last Person to post in the late Voyager Forum. Bashing both Voyager, Enterprise, and "The Bun" in one glorious post.

[email protected]

machf
Member # 1233

T-160 tapes will give you up to 8 hours (instead of the usual 6 for T-120 tapes) in SLP/EP (ack!) mode. Far more rare are T-180 tapes, which will give you 9 hours in that mode...
J
Member # 608

I've never found a T-180. And while the audio is sometimes iffy, it's rare and usually you would have noticed an audio problem in the live broadcast if my VCR picks it up.

--------------------
Later, J
_ _ _ _ _ ___ _ _ _ _ _

[email protected]

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
E180 (as they are called over here) are the most common tapes available in the UK. And they put "3 hours" on them, not "9 hours, if you don't mind the playback looking like absolute shit".

I can't stand LP. SLP would probably cause me to set fire to my eyes, if any of our VCR's supported it. Especially if I'm watching an NTSC tape.

You lot are shit.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

machf
Member # 1233

Actually, E180 is not the same as T180, as the tapes run at different speeds (and no, I don't mean SP, LP and EP/SLP, but the speed tied to the 25 or 30 FPS and 625 or 525 lines, respectively), so they are of different (physical) lengths. In fact, an E180 tape is the same as a T120 one... and a T180 would be an E260. Take a look here for further details.

And yes, SLP is awful.

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps