Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Registry Number Explanation (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Registry Number Explanation
grb
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Starfleet registry numbers reach above 80,000 (the saber-class uss yeager was something like 81XXX). However, it seems unlikeley that 80,000 starfllet starships have been built when many ships still in service could possibly be very old. But what if registry numbers were not limited to starships and runabouts, but also included shuttlecraft, starbases, workbees, ect.?
Well, we've never seen the registry numbers on these craft, but maybe they just aren't written on the side.

------------------
"How many people does it take before it becomes wrong?"- Jean-Luc Picard

"Fortune Favors the Bold."- Benjamin Sisko

"And so, the warriors, the peacemakers, the helpers, the saviors, the forgotten, and the remembered, they all signed on that data padd and peace was made."- Shannon London-Karkarsku, leader of the Unisist Movement

Captain Alex Herenwhiner,
Transwarp inter-dimension timeship explorer U.S.S. Liberty

IP: Logged
Deep6
Ex-Member

Ummmm....The Yeager's registry was NCC-61947.
Montgomery
Reigning Supreme
Member # 23

- posted      Profile for Montgomery     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This was a misprint in encylopaedia 2.
The 6 was mistaken written as 8.
Actually the numbers have reached around 75100 in the year 2375, which is where the series is now.

Runabouts certainly have registries, which could account for a lot.
Actually I think starfleet may have up to 10,000 ships in operation. It'd need that many to patrol such a HUGE area of space efficiently. 400 crew on each? (That's 4 million crew in all, drawn from a total UFP poulation comprising over 150 planets!
That's about 26,000 per planet.)

I guess they skipped a few of the early numbers for whatever reason, although by now they seem to have learned to go through them all, and stave off the day they need a 6th digit.

------------------
"I fart in your general direction. Your mother was a hamster, and your father smelt of elderberries!"

- Monty Python & The Holy Grail

Michael Dracon
aka: NightWing or Altair
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually: The Sabre (Saber) class USS Yeager has the regisry number NCC-61947. The 8 is an error.
The highest numbers are in the 75XXX range.

But that aside:
- On a starbase? Very unlikely.
- On shuttles? Unlikely, but maybe possible.
- On workbees? Very likely!

To extend this:
What about fighters? And those 'trains' in "The Motion Picture"?

------------------
Bugs Come In Through Open Windows.

Michael Dracon
aka: NightWing or Altair
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmmm...
3 replies in about 10 minutes.

Oh well...

I did some diggin', and found that in the TNG episode "The Outcast" there was a shuttle #15 (called: Magellan). If starships have an average of say 7 shuttles (make the match easier ), then there would be about 10.000 starships build. I think that this number is far to low to be correct.

------------------
Bugs Come In Through Open Windows.

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In my opinion there are three criteria for a spacecraft to bear its individual NCC or whatever registry:

1. The spacecraft is independently operational/has warp drive.

2. The spacecraft is larger than a shuttle, consists of more than just a cockpit.

3. The spacecraft is is not assigned to a larger spacecraft.

Applying one or more of the above criteria, any numbering scheme (individual NCC or not) can be justified for a small spacecraft.

------------------
"No, thanks. I've had enough. One more cup and I'll jump to warp." (Janeway, asked if she would like some coffee in "Once upon a Time")
www.uni-siegen.de/~ihe/bs/startrek/

grb
Ex-Member

All right, so maybe shuttles don;t have their own registires, but have just sub registries off of the staships (In TOS, the galileo was 1701/7). Those fighters, raiders, and runabouts would take up a bunch of registires. And actually, now that i think about it, doesn;t it seem that workbees would take up possibly too many registries? So, let's say registries are given to.....

starships
runabouts
scout craft (like DATA's in Inssurection)
raidrers (like chakotay's)
fighters (SoA, et. al.)

Does this seem OK?

------------------
"How many people does it take before it becomes wrong?"- Jean-Luc Picard

"Fortune Favors the Bold."- Benjamin Sisko

"And so, the warriors, the peacemakers, the helpers, the saviors, the forgotten, and the remembered, they all signed on that data padd and peace was made."- Shannon London-Karkarsku, leader of the Unisist Movement

Captain Alex Herenwhiner,
Transwarp inter-dimension timeship explorer U.S.S. Liberty

The First One
A lovely little thinker, but a bugger when he's pissed
Member # 35

- posted      Profile for The First One         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I reckon all ships are included in the possible 75000 numbers, including the NARs etc. That's gotta make it a bit more likely that all the possibles have been used.

Plus, I have a theory I've been kicking around. . . that come the turn of the century, they switched from 4-digit registries to 5-digit ones. I mean, we know of hardly any numbers between the 2000's and the 10000s. . . this could be because most of those ships have long since been decommissioned.

Apart from some Constellations in the 3000s (and one in the 9000s, annoyingly) we don't know of any. Whether in 2300 or later for some unknown reason, it seems possible they might have done a format change. I can't believe that in the past twelve years they've only built 5000 ships, but nearly 65000 in the previous 70 years!

[This message was edited by The First One on June 10, 1999.]

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I doubt NAR and NCC share the same numbers. I mean, the Mariposa had a four-digit NAR number, well before the three-digit Daedaluses we know of. And how about that five-digit shuttle from STVI?

------------------
http://frankg.dgne.com/
"Let's get those missiles ready to destroy the universe!" - TMBG

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Some time ago we had a thread about civilian space travel. I reckoned that millions of civilian starships would be required if a certain fraction of the population would go on interstellar travel only for three or four days a year. Even if most people permanently stay at home, there has to be a huge transport fleet, more capacity than Starfleet in any case. I wonder where are all these ships, since we only get to see Starfleet ships.

Anyway, I doubt the civilian ships are included in the numbering scheme. Another argument is that the prefix N** would be redundant, if the numbers were unique.

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I reckon that there ARE thousands of civilian ships - and that the inner highways of the Federation would look remarkably like the skies of Couroscant SP?? just think of the amount of traffic from say the Rigel System to the Terran System! but think of it as a network - Earth - as a point with about 200+ (cause there are more than just 150 actual planets in the Federation) routes out of the terran system... then do that with every other MAJOR system in the Federation - not to mention between other races not IN the Federation

Its just that we don't see these ships cause in TNG and DS9 - we aren't in the thick of the Federation - TNG - rarely went to earth - and if we did see earth - it was after a borg attack or at the entrace to a spacedock...

------------------
"I was not elected to watch my people suffer and die, while you discuss this invasion in a committee" Queen Amidala - Star Wars: Episode 1, The Phantom Menace

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Space is a big place.

------------------
"Gone savage for teenagers with automatic weapons and boundless love."
--
Soul Coughing

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gee, Sol, you're so poetic... :-)

BTW, if the registry I have down on my list for the São Paulo is correct, we're up to 75633.

My guess is that, at least at one time, the registries were indeed assigned in batches. However, many of these ships were never built. Starfleet sent out an order that registries xxxxx through yyyyy would be reserved for ships of Zzzzz class. When a new ship of that class was needed, the builders would grab one of the registries in that range and build the ship. However, in many cases, the class would be retired, or at least fall into disuse, before all those numbers were used up. This would explain why they've gotten so far, but w/o actually building as many ships as the numbers would suggest.

Obviously, the runabout/fighter thing would also be a contributing factor...

------------------
"I ran into Charlie Fogg.
He blacked my eye, and he kicked my dog.
My dog turned to me, and he said,
'Let's head back to Tennessee, Jed.'"
-The Grateful Dead, "Tennessee Jed"

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My pet theory is that prior to 2300 or so NAR and NCC were completely seperate (with NAR following some sort of completely screwed-up system, hence five-digit shuttles etc.).

However, it became problematic when NAR-1234 and NCC-1234 in the same sector, or when NCC-5432 was retired from Starfleet Service and picked up by some Federation reserchers but NAR-5432 was already taken by some transport in the Rigel system.

So somewhere around 2300 the UFP decided to standardize all public vessels with the Starfleet numbering system by requiring all the NAR, NDT etc. ships coming in to be refit to change their numbers to be constant with the Starfleet System. As a result, the registries reapidly jumped from the 2000s to the 10000s with only a few Starfleet (NCC) registries intermixed in them. Since then, the numbers have gone up much faster because new transports and science ships and stuff eat up the numbers as well as Starfleet vessels.

------------------
"A Star Wars picture that preaches against greed is a little like Bill Clinton in the pulpit for a chastity-begins-at-home campaign."

-Rex Murphy on Star Wars Episode 1: The Phantom Menace

Trinculo
Ex-Member

Posting erased.

[This message was edited by Trinculo on June 11, 1999.]

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps